I"m a Hypocrite I Admit HDMI Upscaling/Converting Advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I"m a Hypocrite I Admit HDMI Upscaling/Converting Advice

EdwardGein
01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
I just returned and got my money back my Digital Max DVD Recorder (DMDR0501) which cost me all of $95 new & worked great except one retarded thing the company, LiteOn , failed to neglect on the packaging but listed inside the instruction book- it doesn't record 16:9 full widescreen instead it does something where there are bars on the bottom and top & I think it stretches the picture. Aparently you can not set the aspect when you record & if you are recording an HDTV broadcast it will not record it in such a way as to show the full widescreen. This is insane. I guess they figure people who spend $95 on a cheap recorder won't notice the difference because they probably don't have a widescreen TV anyway. When I phoned the company they said it doesn't record full widescreen.

To make a long story short, I just bought an RCA DVD recorder (DRC8060N) that does Upconverting through HDMI output. As I am not sure I'll see a noticeable difference, I really don't want to invest much in an HDMI, at least at first. Can anybody tell me, if these make a difference in the picture & if so, what is the cheapest decent one around? If not, can I just get a cheap generic one on Ebay & will I still see a difference using it? One of my TV's had an HDMI input while the other has DVI. If I use an HDMI DVI adapter will that impact negatively on the picture. Any advice is much appreciated.

L.J.
01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
I just returned and got my money back my Digital Max DVD Recorder (DMDR0501) which cost me all of $95 new & worked great except one retarded thing the company, LiteOn , failed to neglect on the packaging but listed inside the instruction book- it doesn't record 16:9 full widescreen instead it does something where there are bars on the bottom and top & I think it stretches the picture. Aparently you can not set the aspect when you record & if you are recording an HDTV broadcast it will not record it in such a way as to show the full widescreen. This is insane. I guess they figure people who spend $95 on a cheap recorder won't notice the difference because they probably don't have a widescreen TV anyway. When I phoned the company they said it doesn't record full widescreen.

To make a long story short, I just bought an RCA DVD recorder (DRC8060N) that does Upconverting through HDMI output. As I am not sure I'll see a noticeable difference, I really don't want to invest much in an HDMI, at least at first. Can anybody tell me, if these make a difference in the picture & if so, what is the cheapest decent one around? If not, can I just get a cheap generic one on Ebay & will I still see a difference using it? One of my TV's had an HDMI input while the other has DVI. If I use an HDMI DVI adapter will that impact negatively on the picture. Any advice is much appreciated.

Going with DVI/HDMI, you get the advantage of a direct digital connection from source to display, which is supposed to give you a better picture. I have my 2910 connected to my TV with a DVI cable. I toggle back and forth all the time between 480, 720 and 1080 and my eyes must be simple because it all looks the same to me. Definitely no night and day difference. This is just my opinion. You can always pick up a cable from Rat Shack and give it a try. I'd like to know what you think it offers over component. Your source and display may be a different story. I'm sure ED or Sir T can give you a more technical answer.

EdwardGein
01-17-2006, 09:08 PM
It looks like I'm returning this to Best Buy and trying to find the original DVD recorder I had Lite On 5001 which isn't sold any more as I'm having the same problem with this set I had with the other one and it looks like there is no way to record full 16:9 DVDs from full 16:9 recordings. Both recorders basically made them 16:9 letterbox when I know for a fact they were full screen 16:9 programs. Its probably something with the HD DVR. I called up the cable people about the DVR & the DVD recorder place & the worst thing is, scary too, I know more about their products then they do! When in doubt, punt! PS Lite Ons are so easy to use. This recorder is a pain in the butt!

evil__betty
01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
spend the little extra cash, and get the Pioneer DVR633HS (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4139_237566718,00.html) . Awesome reviews (seen in Sound and Vision) on the product and great editing features. Take a look - it'll probably last quite a bit longer than cheapo ones.

gorilla196635
01-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Try a Samsung DVR320 or something like that...

I have it cant remember the model off hand but it is 179 at worst buy.. I got it for $70 over the holiday from their website....

gorilla196635
01-19-2006, 07:56 AM
duh the model is in my signature....