Boston Acoustics AVR7120 receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustics AVR7120 receiver

GMichael
01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Has anyone here heard the Boston Acoustics AVR7120 receiver? I'm helping a friend put a system together and can get a deal on one for $1k. Is this is as good as the $3k list price would suggest.

Here is what it says about itself:

The Boston AVR Electronics are a triumph of performance driven power, versatility, and control; the launching pad for creating the difference between home theater and true theater for the home. The elegant power behind the ultimate performance. These Audio/Video components are beauty, brains and brawn heavyweights. Their enhanced power supplies and large heat sinks easily produce abundant power for all 7 channels in all the latest surround formats. The uncomplicated design disguises a wizardry of flexible connectivity. They even analyze and calibrate themselves, amplifying the awe while accelerating precision installation.

Innovative UniView circuitry creates a common video signal path for the best possible picture no matter what your TV. The USB input brings streaming audio from your PC. And, it’s all controlled with a simple, one-touch, LCD learning remote. AVR Electronics components are the result of the superior design and engineering synonymous with every product bearing the Boston Acoustics name; products that set the standard for dynamic, undistorted, room-filling sound. When connected to our award-winning speakers in a complete Boston system, the sound is utterly stunning. Smooth, octave-to-octave tonal balance without favoring one frequency over another. Greater detail with no distortion from one end of the spectrum to the other. Clear and uncolored. Pure and natural. The true-to-the-original performance known as The Boston Sound.

Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24

Power output rated at 8 ohm /.05% THD: 120 watts per channel x 7

UniView video format up conversion

Universal/Learning IR remote control

Zone 2 A/V output with supplied Zone 2-only IR remote control

3 HD-compatible component video inputs

6 Video inputs, 4 Audio inputs

8-channel preamp inputs and outputs with dual subwoofer output

USB audio input

Auto set up with supplied microphone

RS232 control

IR inputs and output

Dual 12-volt trigger outputs

30 FM/AM tuner presets

Dimension: 7.086 x 17.323 x 17.716 inches HxWxD

Weight: 60 lbs

L.J.
01-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Wow 60 lbs. Seems like a beast to me. Here's (http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/705boston/) an article from HT mag that you've probably read already.

paul_pci
01-19-2006, 11:32 AM
For 1k, I'd rather go with a tried and true receiver and brand than some company that isn't estrablished in making receivers.

dgs
01-24-2006, 11:16 PM
BA has been around for quite a while and they have established as one of the leaders in the amp area. Receivers is a new product segment for them, but not the amp technology.

Thw $1K deal is awesome, but I would check the return/exchange policies in case of non satisfaction and/or incompatibility.

By the way, the AVP7 and the AVR7200 is a better combo, if the vendor you are considering has similer deals on these.

paul_pci
01-25-2006, 07:11 AM
BA has been around for quite a while and they have established as one of the leaders in the amp area. Receivers is a new product segment for them, but not the amp technology.

Thw $1K deal is awesome, but I would check the return/exchange policies in case of non satisfaction and/or incompatibility.

By the way, the AVP7 and the AVR7200 is a better combo, if the vendor you are considering has similer deals on these.

Arcam has an impeccable reputation for amps as well but when they relearsed their first AV receiver, subsequent models had to make significant improvments; that's just the nature of producing new products—it doesn't come out perfect the first time. But, hey: it's not my $1k.