Speaker Cable Mis-match [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Cable Mis-match

snowgecko
01-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Can anyone tell me if there would be a noticeable difference in sound, sound degration with the following setup. I think not, but I want to make sure before buying the cable.

I am currently running 12 gauge silver plated copper with gold plated cryo treated connectors to my two front and center channel speakers each are 10 ft lengths. I have cheap 16 or 18 gauge copper about 25 ft to my rears.

I am looking at buying 14 gauge silver plated copper for my two rear speakers with the same gold plated cryo treated connectors. They will both be 75 ft lengths, but will probably be cut down to about 40 ft lengths once I figure exactly where I want them placed and run the wire through my walls.

I do not want to loose any sound definition and clarity on my rear speakers.

Speakers:

Make: Tannoy

Front Speakers Sensys DC 2

Centre Speaker Sensys DCC

Rear Speakers Sensys 1

Thanks for any advice.

pelly3s
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
why waste the money on cryo treated anything the whole concept still confuses me. you have some great speakers though. you should be fine with just a good quality copper wire

snowgecko
01-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks for your reply. I wanted to make sure before I spent the money.

To answer your question about why get cryo. The place I get my connectors from only charges a buck more for cryo treated as opposed to none cryo. They are a good quality low priced spade connector, so for a buck I figured what the heck. My thinking, as insane as it might be, is the dollar spent will bring them up to a high end/high priced connector at a fraction of the cost. After the money I spent on my speakers what's a buck more.

Thanks again.

hwirt
01-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your reply. I wanted to make sure before I spent the money.

To answer your question about why get cryo. The place I get my connectors from only charges a buck more for cryo treated as opposed to none cryo. They are a good quality low priced spade connector, so for a buck I figured what the heck. My thinking, as insane as it might be, is the dollar spent will bring them up to a high end/high priced connector at a fraction of the cost. After the money I spent on my speakers what's a buck more.

Thanks again.

What exactly is a "cryo treatment", are the dipped in liquid nitrogen or something?

Resident Loser
01-19-2006, 09:14 AM
What exactly is a "cryo treatment", are the dipped in liquid nitrogen or something?

...something...alright.

I often wonder why folks who spend more for cryo-treated stuff and then burn it in...

jimHJJ(...another audiopile conundrum...)

markw
01-19-2006, 10:36 AM
...extra on each connector.

I doubt it does anything but if it makes you feel better, it's your money and it's not like it'll break the bank.

snowgecko
01-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Yes, either dipped right in the liquid nitrogen or using a nitrogen vapour. As I understand it the process changes the molecular structure of the metal. When metal is formed into a part, be it an audio connector or even a hand tool this process changes the molecular structure of the metal. The cryo treatment is supposed to bring the metal back to it's original state. For a copper or brass audio connector the result is a better conductive material as well as other benefits. So they say....

snowgecko
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
...extra on each connector.

I doubt it does anything but if it makes you feel better, it's your money and it's not like it'll break the bank.
a buck a pair....I already broke the bank on the speakers. It's not like I spent anywhere close to a set of WBT's would cost.

BTW. Now that we are on the topic. Does the quality really justify the price when you look at some of the products out there like WBT, Vampire, Cardas and the like. Some of these connectors can run into the $100's of dollars, never mind what some of the pre-manufactured interconnects can cost. Can someone explain this insanity to me???

noddin0ff
01-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey- I work in a bio-lab. We've got oodles of liquid nitrogen around...AND BUCKETS! Maybe I should start a service? YOU SEND me your cables (include a pre-paid return label and box). If it can fit in a small shoebox, it can be cryo-frozen. I DIP them, take some time-stamped digital pics so you know I did something, and MAIL THEM BACK.

The temperature of liquid nitrogen is -196 deg C or -321 deg F. I know zero about what that would do to wire or the connectors etc. But it’s not my wire. I can't keep them in liquid nitrogen indefinately but I can get them frozen.

My fee? Oh, whatever it is, I’m sure it’ll be worth it! I’ll buy lab equipment with the profits! If anyone wants to seriously make this worth my while, I’ll come up with some disclaimers.

In case you didn’t know the federal budget for health research in this country (US) is shrinking. http://www.michigandaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/13/43c75d6f37c48
This is going to hurt research, including mine. Who wants to support research AND be an audiosnob pioneer?

markw
01-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Does the quality really justify the price when you look at some of the products out there like WBT, Vampire, Cardas and the like. Some of these connectors can run into the $100's of dollars, never mind what some of the pre-manufactured interconnects can cost. Can someone explain this insanity to me???Well, I'm of the belief that these are utilitarian devices, not unlike the lug nuts that hold your wheels on your car. They need to be of a certain quality in order to accomplish the task proficiently, but the point of diminishing returns is met at a fairly inexpensive price point. ...much less than the hundreds of dollars that the market demands.

In your case a buck a throw isn't too much for piece of mind to satisty a belief that they may or may not make a difference but apparantly others have more disposable income and many manufacturers in this hobby have found that out and are more than willing to offer them the means to feel secure about their systems performance.

...and many equate big, fancy and expensive as guaranteeing audiable improvenment, of which I'd like some proof.