Help on speakers for corners [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help on speakers for corners

richrpd
01-16-2006, 01:23 PM
First post :eek: So please bear with me! I am looking to replace my current speakers as they are in a small room about 15' x 10' and sound very bassy with little separation. They the tv is in the corner with the speakers either side so I know that a lot of it is due to position but can't change that at the moment so currently looking for a speaker that will give me a much more open sound.

After some research I fell that these may be suitable

Quad 11L
Tannoy Eyris 1
Tannoy Sensys DCS 1
Acoustic Energy AE100ise
B & W DM 601 S3

Any help or thoughts would be hugely appreciated
Thanks
Richard

drseid
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
You may want to reach out to RGA... I think he may have a suggestion on a brand that meets your needs... ;-)

---Dave

richrpd
01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
You may want to reach out to RGA... I think he may have a suggestion on a brand that meets your needs... ;-)

---Dave
thanks
I will give him a try!

RGA
01-16-2006, 02:03 PM
From reading your post you have the TV in the corner. I can help if you need corner placement speakers - ie; one speaker in one ciorner and the other in the other corner -- but your set-up I don't think that's what you want.

I would add the Audio Note AX -Two to your list of a speaker to try though because it works well close to walls or in corners and is a very nice sounding speaker ($600.00US) audio note is British -- speakers are hand built in Denmark using VIFA drivers. should you ever get into low powered tube amps the speakers are also easy to drive -- then again so too probably is Tannoy. Quad's have been written up nicely as well. But another option to try can't hurt.

richrpd
01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
From reading your post you have the TV in the corner. I can help if you need corner placement speakers - ie; one speaker in one ciorner and the other in the other corner -- but your set-up I don't think that's what you want.

I would add the Audio Note AX -Two to your list of a speaker to try though because it works well close to walls or in corners and is a very nice sounding speaker ($600.00US) audio note is British -- speakers are hand built in Denmark using VIFA drivers. should you ever get into low powered tube amps the speakers are also easy to drive -- then again so too probably is Tannoy. Quad's have been written up nicely as well. But another option to try can't hurt.
Thanks for your quick response!!! you are right about placement, I will have a look at Audio note although they are UK based I hadn't heard of them!

RGA
01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Audio Note has been around since 1976 but does not advertise -- and for most of that time they were too busy selling $90,000.00 tube amps. AN UK has been producing more affordable gear since 1992 and the AX Two I believe has been selling for close to a decade. I lean to stuff that is not constantly changed every year because like Sugden (a classic and important british Amplifier company) if it sounds good -- and it oughta sound good or why are you selling it -- then it should not need major overhauls every 3 years.

Audio Note also tends to be very plain Jane looking so even if they were at an audio store near you most people would walk right by them (I did). I like the AX Two with the Rotel RA-02 as a budget combo that was quite impressive. The only one on your list I have heard is the B&W and the AX Two IMO is a lot better -- but then so too could the others on your list -- like I say does not hurt to audition all of them - preferably in the same place. But realistically the chances of hearing them all in the same place is slim.

Finding an Audio Note Dealer in the UK is impossible -- they are there marketing is not exactly a strength and they do not pay for any marketing whatsoever (no marketing departments, no brochure makers -- instruction manuals are Printed in word and printed and photocopied with one staple in the corner (as an owner I found it pretty humourous given that my speakers cost a significant amount and my cheap B&W's had big colour briochure and cost about 1/15th the price -- even their web-site is simply created by a fan of their products and is seriously out of date.

There are a number of dealers in the UK but I have misplaced the dealers and can't find it on google. This dealer looks pretty high end so I would try and find them -- they may not have the AX Two in stock -- indeed, they may like soemthing better but they carry Audio Note so worth a try

Noteworthy Audio,
36 Buckingham Street,
Aylesbury,
Buckinghamshire,
HP20 2LH
England.
Tel: (+44) 01296 422224

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Loudspeakers1.html (for pictures) and prices.

Hey they carry Tannoy as well so you can give them both a listen. But rememeber that more money does not always mean better -- I did a direct comparison with the AX Two against the B&W 705 and the AX Two I liked much much better -- so did everyone else in the room. The Tannoys look interesting as does Living Voice. They also carry other excellent speakers like Pro-Ac and PMC -- these guys carry good gear from what I can tell better than most I've seen.

Gee they even carry the the model down from mine in that link I provided -- cool.

richrpd
01-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks for all your help RGA, I found Noteworthy Audio on the web last night and they are only about an hour from where I wrk so will try and slide out for a bit when I get the chance! At least I feel that I am starting to be able to narrow it down a bit I didn't think that the B&W's would probably be as suitable as the others and also perhaps the Quads. Although everyone raves about them there also seems to be quite a strong concensus that they need to sited away from walls. This is why I have tried to look at front ported speakers as from my very limited knowledge I am guessing that they are less sensitive to what is behind them.