looking for budget bookshelfs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for budget bookshelfs

audio_dude
01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey all, I'm new here but I thought this place has some great advice. So here's my question: I'm looking for a new set of speakers for my bedroom (about 10' x 12' ) I'm going to be running them off a Yamaha RX357 receiver. I have to say, I'm on a tiny budget, so nothing more than $250. I'm looking for good low end, softdome tweeter (no aluminum or titanium). low end to about 40-50 htz. Thanks for all suggestions. :) :D

markw
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB2%2E2&product_name=Audition%20B2%2E2%20Speakers%20-%20Black,%20Pair

If you want to spend even less...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB1%2E2&product_name=Audition%20B1%2E2%20Speakers%20-%20Black,%20Pair

kexodusc
01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
The Athena's aren't bad for the money at all.
You might consider the Dayton BR-1 Kit from Parts Express, which is not only cheaper, but a better all around speaker IMO.
You will need to assemble the speaker (requires soldering), but it's well worth it. I've owned $400 speakers that didn't do as many things well.

jocko_nc
01-16-2006, 06:19 PM
For $250, you may be able to do better than the BR-1. ???. Perhaps a Madisound kit, that one from Ed Frias (I think) ???. I did a pair of Seas / Peerless for right at $250.00-275.00, however, I did start with free cabinets. That makes a difference.

With the BR-1, you'll get a respectable little speaker and pocket the change. For the money, it is unbeatable. $139.00 with free shipping, its nuts. If you want more serious sound, I have to think you're looking at a kit for $350.00 or so. Such a kit will not disappoint, you'll be shocked how good they can sound.

jocko

audio_dude
01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Today I found some speakers from Paradigm that fit my buget, they are the Atom, or the Titan. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

noddin0ff
01-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I have some Titan's. I think the value is there for the Titans over the Atoms. I like them. Good all around. They don't really rock heavy, but then, neither do I. I think Energy makes some speakers that compete well with the Titan's. Same size/price range. You might want to compare. I think it's the Energy C series.

Dmax
01-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Polks are pretty good and I believe they have some type of special where they throw in a free sub with the purchase of there speakers , or they make you think its free.

Sansui71
01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
I have a pair of Polk R15's. I like them and they do what I want them to. They can be hung, from a slot in the back, if you like that type of wall mount. I used a pair of B-tech mounts, that can be adjusted, with swing or tilt. I don't remember what the power is, but I think 100w. Retail is around $130 Everyone can recommend, but only you have the decision, as to what you want to listen to, and what you like.

Dmax
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a pair of Polk R15's. I like them and they do what I want them to. They can be hung, from a slot in the back, if you like that type of wall mount. I used a pair of B-tech mounts, that can be adjusted, with swing or tilt. I don't remember what the power is, but I think 100w. Retail is around $130 Everyone can recommend, but only you have the decision, as to what you want to listen to, and what you like.And now the Polk R15s can be found for as little as $69 even a little cheaper at some places.I have a pair of R10s and there awesome little speakers. If you look at the specs the recent R15s,the older R10s and the newer M10s are pretty much the same speaker.

audio_dude
01-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Ok, I don't like any of the energy speakers..the highs are too "harsh" and not enough bass. I have to buy a receiver first and am thinking about the Yamaha RX357. Does anyone have another suggestion? under $325 and a phono in. maybe a CD player?