Would you consider JBL Northridge E-60s good speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider JBL Northridge E-60s good speakers?

Dmax
01-16-2006, 08:24 AM
The reason im asking is because JR has a really good sale on all the Northridge series speakers and free shipping but I cant get to hear them first. It would be for a bedroom set up to which I am currently using Polk Audio R series speakers with and im very pleased with them but i've never seen JBL floorstanding speakers so cheap.Would this be a wise choice for me to buy speakers I cant listen to first and what would be your personal choice out of the two,Polk or JBL.

zepman1
01-16-2006, 08:33 AM
In my experience the JBL's could be a downgrade from your Polk's. I am not a big fan of JBL and would rather have the Polk's. Anyhow, the JBL's are sold at best buy I think. You should go have a listen and see if you like them better yourself.

A better plan may be to save up more money and then get a substantial upgrade down the road.

Dmax
01-16-2006, 09:23 AM
In my experience the JBL's could be a downgrade from your Polk's. I am not a big fan of JBL and would rather have the Polk's. Anyhow, the JBL's are sold at best buy I think. You should go have a listen and see if you like them better yourself.

A better plan may be to save up more money and then get a substantial upgrade down the road.Your right, i"ll stick with the Polks for now . Thanx ! :)

ruadmaa
01-16-2006, 11:38 AM
The reason im asking is because JR has a really good sale on all the Northridge series speakers and free shipping but I cant get to hear them first. It would be for a bedroom set up to which I am currently using Polk Audio R series speakers with and im very pleased with them but i've never seen JBL floorstanding speakers so cheap.Would this be a wise choice for me to buy speakers I cant listen to first and what would be your personal choice out of the two,Polk or JBL.

I think you might want to give these speakers a listen to. Personally I like JBL products and have never heard one of their speakers that I thought sounded bad. Just my opinion. There is always better somewhere I suppose. Some people like Klipsch, personally I find them grating. The only way to find out is to go give a listen. I think you will like the JBL's.

Dmax
01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I think you might want to give these speakers a listen to. Personally I like JBL products and have never heard one of their speakers that I thought sounded bad. Just my opinion. There is always better somewhere I suppose. Some people like Klipsch, personally I find them grating. The only way to find out is to go give a listen. I think you will like the JBL's. Went and had a listen at Best Buy, not bad but I will keep what I have. ;)

audio_dude
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Three important words:
J unkie
B ut
L oud

Dmax
01-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Three important words:
J unkie
B ut
L oudlol :D :p

audio_dude
01-18-2006, 06:39 AM
they are a company that makes car "subwoofers" they go really loud, but you get so much distortion from the amps, it sounds like junk, and they are a poor home audio company... :)

Dmax
01-18-2006, 07:17 AM
they are a company that makes car "subwoofers" they go really loud, but you get so much distortion from the amps, it sounds like junk, and they are a poor home audio company... :) I know JBLs been around forever and on there website there doing some serious bragging, I was almost sold. I cant believe that I ever entertained the thought of giving up Polks for JBLs.What was I thinking :rolleyes:

ruadmaa
01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Three important words:
J unkie
B ut
L oud

I think you had better go over the the Audio Review section that reveiws JBL speakers. I believe you will find quite a few people that disagree with your opinion.

luvs2jam60
01-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't think JBL's that bad for budget systems. I have a system with a northridge center, E30s for the front and E20s for the rears and a 150 watt 10in PB-10 sub and I'm pretty satisfied. Granted, I'm on a college budget where I have little-to-no $$$ especially for HT, but I'm content with what I have for now.

GMichael
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
I have a pair of JBL E10's. They do a good job for $100 bookshelves. Got them from J&R last year.

Florian
01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
They are wonderfull, it doesnt matter what equipment you run on them and they will always sound the same. They are efficent and you can use the new 50wpc JVC receiver to get great thumping sound. Wonderfull !

GMichael
01-18-2006, 12:09 PM
They are wonderfull, it doesnt matter what equipment you run on them and they will always sound the same. They are efficent and you can use the new 50wpc JVC receiver to get great thumping sound. Wonderfull !

OK, OK, so they aren't world class speakers. There are thousands of better ones out there. But they do sound better than Bose or KLH. Not bad for someone just getting their feet wet. Everyone has to start somewhere. They can work their way up to Apogees later.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
OK, OK, so they aren't world class speakers. There are thousands of better ones out there. But they do sound better than Bose or KLH. Not bad for someone just getting their feet wet. Everyone has to start somewhere. They can work their way up to Apogees later.
So there more on the line with Cerwin Vega or DCM?

GMichael
01-18-2006, 12:34 PM
So there more on the line with Cerwin Vega?

I don't know too much about Cerwin Vega speakers.

JBL used to make very good speakers years ago. But they were bought out and are now just another face in the crowd. Better than some, but not in the same class as some of the top notch speakers audiophiles like. About one or two notches up from Bose. If all you like is Rock, rap or hip hop then they are just fine. If you are into piano, jazz & classical then you may want better.

L.J.
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Very sensitive, loud and just big. Well my LS-12's are. I got a 13in TV sitting on one of em. Very bright also. I mostly use em for blastin rap throughout the entire neighborhood. Did I say they were bright. I use to party alot, so those speakers were perfect for that.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 12:44 PM

JBL used to make very good speakers years ago. But they were bought out and are now just another face in the crowd. Better than some, but not in the same class as some of the top notch speakers audiophiles like. About one or two notches up from Bose. If all you like is Rock, rap or hip hop then they are just fine. If you are into piano, jazz & classical then you may want better.Well im sure glad I checked myself before I wrecked myself , I was almost sold without hearing them and im a jazz lover all the way.

N. Abstentia
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
It's a shame what JBL has become, considering their history. There's not a JBL consumer speaker made today that cannot be outperformed by another speaker that costs less....simple fact. You couldn't pay me to own any consumer level JBL speakers today!

GMichael
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Very sensitive, loud and just big. Well my LS-12's are. I got a 13in TV sitting on one of em. Very bright also. I mostly use em for blastin rap throughout the entire neighborhood. Did I say they were bright. I use to party alot, so those speakers were perfect for that.

Did you say party? Count me in!

GMichael
01-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Well im sure glad I checked myself before I wrecked myself , I was almost sold without hearing them and im a jazz lover all the way.

If you're itching for a speaker upgrade, take a look at the Magnepan MMG's. They don't have much base, but I was very impressed with their sound other than that. Another line I like is the Totem line. Worth hearing IMO.

Both of these like stable amps. Average receivers will run them, but not to their best.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 12:55 PM
If you're itching for a speaker upgrade, take a look at the Magnepan MMG's. They don't have much base, but I was very impressed with their sound other than that. Another line I like is the Totem line. Worth hearing IMO.

Both of these like stable amps. Average receivers will run them, but not to their best. After I finish high school and college I will go for it. :)

Florian
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
It was a joke, but please understand that those questions have been covered a billion times in this forum. Why not listen to small Tannoys, or maybe some other speakers from VA etc... I would never recommend panel speakers to beginners or to 90% of the people out there. But small Best Buy JBL's ? There are sooo many speakers out there. Go and have more listening sessions?

Dmax
01-18-2006, 01:23 PM
JBL is owned by Harman International right? They sure do make darn good receivers so you would think that they would be able to make good speakers right?

GMichael
01-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I knew I'd get you to help if I poked hard enough. I recognized your sarcasm for what it was.
A lot of new people here weren't around for the last time this was kicked around. He says he likes jazz so I thought the planners would be a good idea. Worth hearing at least. I was amazed by them.

GMichael
01-18-2006, 01:31 PM
JBL is owned by Harman International right? They sure do make darn good receivers so you would think that they would be able to make good speakers right?

Yes, they made my speakers too. Infinity's. They aren't bad. But if you compare a speaker made by a company that puts 40% into advertising, and 60% into build, to a speaker made by a company that puts 10% into advertising and 90% into build, then guess what?

Dmax
01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes, they made my speakers too. Infinity's. They aren't bad. But if you compare a speaker made by a company that puts 40% into advertising, and 60% into build, to a speaker made by a company that puts 10% into advertising and 90% into build, then guess what?I see your point ;)

PAT.P
01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
JBL is owned by Harman International right? They sure do make darn good receivers so you would think that they would be able to make good speakers right? I dont know guys but next time your at a church,concert,theater look up ,and what are going to see JBL most likely.They do the lower price for buget level consumer but they do make some for the pro level also.