dvd player upgrade? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dvd player upgrade?

Jumby
01-16-2006, 07:30 AM
too many models to even begin to sort through them all, so I'm looking for suggestions... I currently have a 4 year old samsung which has been pretty good but it is time to upgrade. still running an older 32" panasonic tau tv that will probably be around for a while longer, and an onkyo tx-sr503 av receiver. what I would like is a garbage disposal of a dvd player that will play whatever I throw at it, in the $100-$200 range. so upconverting isn't an issue at this point, and hdmi isn't either. I'm just running optical and component to the receiver and then the component to the tv.... suggestions for a newer player?

zepman1
01-16-2006, 08:22 AM
what are your reasons for the upgrade? What is the Samsung unable to read that you would like it to. I personally am going to wait to upgrade my DVD player until the whole HD-DVD / Blueray thing sorts itself out a little bit. I would save your money right now and then spend it on a good HD-DVD or Blueray player once a winner is determined and prices drop a little.

L.J.
01-16-2006, 09:33 AM
I agree with Zepman. Save yourself some cash if there's nothing wrong with your Samsung.

Jumby
01-16-2006, 10:35 AM
It doesn't do DTS that I can find, it isn't an option on my receiver on DTS enabled DVD's and when I choose that as an output on the DVD player I get no sound. It also has issues with DVD-R and +R disks..... so that is why I'm looking for a decent budget minded one. At some point I want to upgrade the TV and go with the newer HD DVD that pans out in the future.... so I don't want to drop a ton on one now....

zepman1
01-16-2006, 11:22 AM
The DVD player shouldn't need to have DTS capability if you have it on your receiver. If your receiver is not DTS compatible than I believe you are SOL.

As far as DVD+R and DVD-R discs, just look for a DVD player in your price range that can play those. I am pretty sure that almost any new DVD player won't have an issue playing those. For $100-$150 I really don't think it matters what you get. Just look for a good sale and a player with the options you need. I like the Toshiba and Hitachi DVD players in this price range

Jumby
01-16-2006, 11:46 AM
The receiver is DTS capable, at least I'm assuming that from the logo on the front.... and the fact that it says so in the manual. but it will only show you incoming signals to choose from in picking sound fields. I put in a Bob Marley DVD and the choices were 2 ch stereo or DTS and when I choose DTS got nothing... changed it to stereo and it played, so I don't think the DVD player can decode DTS....

Found some good words for the Samsung DVD-HD850 on audioholics, I'm going to check prices on them....

zepman1
01-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Your problem in not playing DTS soundtracks has nothing to do with your DVD player I would assume. Since your receiver has DTS decoding, there is no need (and best not to) do this with the DVD player. The digital coax (or optical) cable used to connect the DVD player to receiver carries the raw, compressed DTS signal and it is decoded within the receiver.

Decoding DTS thru the DVD player requires 6 channel analog output on the DVD player with corresponding 6 channel analog inputs on the receiver. It would not be the preferred method in most cases.

There must be other reasons the DTS track is not working. Its most likely that somehow the settings on your receiver are not correct.

GMichael
01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
How do you have your DVD connected to your receiver? I believe that if you are using analog 2 chanel cables that it may not play at all in DTS.

Also, with some receivers you may have to set it up to input stream instead of analog.

Jumby
01-16-2006, 01:03 PM
It is hooked up optical and all the Dolby Pro Logic encoding seems to be working just fine. My understanding is that the Receiver will only show the sound options for what it has coming in, when the DVD is Dolby 5.1 I can scroll through the surround options for it, but I'm not getting any DTS options nor any sound when I toggle a DVD to play DTS 5.1.... I don't doubt for a moment I may have set something up wrong, but I can't find what it is.... I'm still fairly new to this. So why in the product description for the DVD-HD850 does it say Dolby and DTS decoding, when it doesn't have multichannel output which is what you're saying is needed to use a DVD players decoding?

paul_pci
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
It is hooked up optical and all the Dolby Pro Logic encoding seems to be working just fine. My understanding is that the Receiver will only show the sound options for what it has coming in, when the DVD is Dolby 5.1 I can scroll through the surround options for it, but I'm not getting any DTS options nor any sound when I toggle a DVD to play DTS 5.1.... I don't doubt for a moment I may have set something up wrong, but I can't find what it is.... I'm still fairly new to this. So why in the product description for the DVD-HD850 does it say Dolby and DTS decoding, when it doesn't have multichannel output which is what you're saying is needed to use a DVD players decoding?

Double check your dvd player settings. With some players, you have to enable dts playback. Strange but true.

zepman1
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
The DTS logo on DVD players is often just a marketing ploy. They have digital outputs allowing raw DTS (or DD) data to be sent to a receiver capable of decoding these signals. That's all it means in most cases, unless of course there are 6 channel analog outputs.
On these type of players you can't get DTS sound without a DTS capable receiver. I suppose there may be some really cheap DVD players with only 2 stereo analog outputs that are in no way DTS compatible.

The connection you are using should be fine (optical cable). I would check the owner's manual for your receiver and make sure you have all the settings as they should be to hear the DTS signal. As GMichael mentioned, you may have your receiver set to analog. Try setting it to "digital" or "input stream." Contact Onkyo and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. It has probably has nothing to do with your DVD player.

Jumby
01-16-2006, 01:57 PM
thanks.... that will give me something to do tonight.... there isn't any football on you know....

GMichael
01-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Here is your manual. It looks like you may have to assign your digital inputs as per page 31.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-sr503_manual_e.pdf

GMichael
01-16-2006, 02:08 PM
thanks.... that will give me something to do tonight.... there isn't any football on you know....

GRrrrr........

Sure, go ahead. Rub it it why don'tcha.

3 more weeks and it's all over. 7 months till pre-season.

Geoffcin
01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
too many models to even begin to sort through them all, so I'm looking for suggestions... I currently have a 4 year old samsung which has been pretty good but it is time to upgrade. still running an older 32" panasonic tau tv that will probably be around for a while longer, and an onkyo tx-sr503 av receiver. what I would like is a garbage disposal of a dvd player that will play whatever I throw at it, in the $100-$200 range. so upconverting isn't an issue at this point, and hdmi isn't either. I'm just running optical and component to the receiver and then the component to the tv.... suggestions for a newer player?

It does everthing, and it's CHEAP!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DV-578A-S-DVD-Video-Player-Silver_W0QQitemZ5855125272QQcategoryZ64583QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(only 1 hr left on this one...)

Jumby
01-16-2006, 03:20 PM
yep, had to assign the optical to it, already done or I wouldn't be getting any sound at all.... and as I said, I'm getting dolby surround.... I'm going to try the disk again now that I'm home and see if I get the DTS options

paul_pci
01-16-2006, 05:17 PM

You mean, you're not going to watch the golden globes?

Jumby
01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
what's a golden globe?

evil__betty
01-16-2006, 08:35 PM
I had this problem when I got my first home theatre - only prologic and DD! It annoyed the hell outta me! I am 99% sure how to fix your problem.

1) Take the disc out of the tray
2) close the tray
3) Wait 'till the 'no disc' appears on your screen
4) Hit the 'set up' or possibly 'home menu' or even just 'menu' on your remote - this should bring you into the set up menu of your DVD player.
5) Go to audio options and make sure that DTS is turned on.

Now your DVD player may be a little different than what I just wrote, but it would definately give you a starting point. Your Onkyo should display DTS when it starts to recieve the signal. Good luck!

Jumby
01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
what a wonderful idea.... but if it works I'll just have to find some other way to justify upgrading something else.... hehehe

Jumby
01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
ok genius, that was it. dts was turned off on the dvd player... I love it and hate it when it is something that simple! next question is... digital ouput can be pcm or bitstream, which should I set it on? I don't know the difference...

Dmax
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I had this problem when I got my first home theatre - only prologic and DD! It annoyed the hell outta me! I am 99% sure how to fix your problem.

1) Take the disc out of the tray
2) close the tray
3) Wait 'till the 'no disc' appears on your screen
4) Hit the 'set up' or possibly 'home menu' or even just 'menu' on your remote - this should bring you into the set up menu of your DVD player.
5) Go to audio options and make sure that DTS is turned on.

Now your DVD player may be a little different than what I just wrote, but it would definately give you a starting point. Your Onkyo should display DTS when it starts to recieve the signal. Good luck!Thanx evil_betty! You just got me situated too! :D

Woochifer
01-17-2006, 06:12 PM
ok genius, that was it. dts was turned off on the dvd player... I love it and hate it when it is something that simple! next question is... digital ouput can be pcm or bitstream, which should I set it on? I don't know the difference...

Digital output should be "Bitstream." PCM is an uncompressed digital audio format that's not used very often with DVDs (all DVDs must have either a DD or PCM track on board, and most DVDs use DD because it uses less disc space and can do 5.1 multichannel), but is the same format used with CD audio and high res DVD-Audio. You would use the PCM setting only if you have a PCM soundtrack that your receiver might have trouble recognizing.

The DTS logo on DVD players is often just a marketing ploy. They have digital outputs allowing raw DTS (or DD) data to be sent to a receiver capable of decoding these signals. That's all it means in most cases, unless of course there are 6 channel analog outputs.
On these type of players you can't get DTS sound without a DTS capable receiver. I suppose there may be some really cheap DVD players with only 2 stereo analog outputs that are in no way DTS compatible.

It's not a marketing ploy because all of the first generation (and a lot of second generation) DVD players had problems outputing the DTS bitstream digitally. The DTS logo typically used on DVD players simply says "DTS Digital Out" indicating that the DVD player is capable of outputing a DTS bitstream through the digital outputs.

Dmax
01-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Digital output should be "Bitstream." PCM is an uncompressed digital audio format that's not used very often with DVDs (all DVDs must have either a DD or PCM track on board, and most DVDs use DD because it uses less disc space and can do 5.1 multichannel), but is the same format used with CD audio and high res DVD-Audio. You would use the PCM setting only if you have a PCM soundtrack that your receiver might have trouble recognizing.

It's not a marketing ploy because all of the first generation (and a lot of second generation) DVD players had problems outputing the DTS bitstream digitally. The DTS logo typically used on DVD players simply says "DTS Digital Out" indicating that the DVD player is capable of outputing a DTS bitstream through the digital outputs.I have my DVD player plugged into the coaxial outlet, why do I see pcm on my receiver display and if I shouldnt use it how do I remove it? :confused:

Jumby
01-17-2006, 07:07 PM
on my samsung the bitstream/pcm setting was on the same screen as the dts on/off, which was the audio options menu

Dmax
01-17-2006, 07:36 PM
on my samsung the bitstream/pcm setting was on the same screen as the dts on/off, which was the audio options menuGot it set up right but I still see
pcm on my receiver display screen.

L.J.
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Got it set up right but I still see
pcm on my receiver display screen.

Is your AVR set to auto. You should be able to toggle back and forth between input modes.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Is your AVR set to auto. You should be able to toggle back and forth between input modes.Its set to auto,when I hit the display button it says PCM fs:44.1kHz . I have it set on auto(coax), the other options are DVD Multi and DVD Analog when I press audio selector.Digital input says Coax,Optical and DVD - - - -,and I have that set to coax and the pcm light is still on the receiver when im playing music not movies. Is this the correct way if not what am I doing wrong? :confused:

L.J.
01-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Its set to auto,when I hit the display button it says PCM fs:44.1kHz . I have it set on auto(coax), the other options are DVD Multi and DVD Analog when I press audio selector.Digital input says Coax,Optical and DVD - - - -,and I have that set to coax and the pcm light is still on the receiver when im playing music not movies. Is this the correct way if not what am I doing wrong? :confused:

That's correct. :) Mine says the same thing. I thought you were refering to surround sound.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 09:32 AM
That's correct. :) Mine says the same thing. I thought you were refering to surround sound. Cool , Thanx !!!!!!!!! Now I feel complete but I just have one more question. Should both the Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic 2 signs be displayed on the receiver display at the same time when playing movies because mines are and I wanted to make sure that this is how it should be. :confused:

L.J.
01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Cool , Thanx !!!!!!!!! Now I feel complete but I just have one more question. Should both the Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic 2 signs be displayed on the receiver display at the same time when playing movies because mines are and I wanted to make sure that this is how it should be. :confused:

When your playing a two channel DD source it should. Other wise, it should just say Dolby Digital if you have a 5.1 speaker setup and you're playing a 5.1 soundtrack. Dolby Pro Logic 2 turns a stereo source into matrixed 5 channel surround sound.

GMichael
01-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Dolby Pro Logic 2 turns a stereo source into matrixed 5 channel surround sound.

And a fine job it does. How does it do it so well?

L.J.
01-18-2006, 09:58 AM
And a fine job it does. How does it do it so well?

You know, I don't use it that much. I stay with the source. If it's 2 chan than so be it. I did use it on The Abyss(DD2.0) and it does sound decent.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
When your playing a two channel DD source it should. Other wise, it should just say Dolby Digital if you have a 5.1 speaker setup and you're playing a 5.1 soundtrack. Dolby Pro Logic 2 turns a stereo source into matrixed 5 channel surround sound.
Gotcha loud and clear, I think this is the first time I've ever had it set up totally precise and the way it should be :) .You learn something new everyday. Thanx :D

zepman1
01-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Wooch:

Thanks for the clarification on the DTS logo on DVD players. I didn't realize that there had been issues with the DTS bitstream output on some players. I guess I never had any issues with it and assumed as long as you had a digital connection to a DTS capable AVR you were good to go.

Anyhow, I guess what I should have said was that the DTS logo on DVD players is misleading to many people who don't realize they also need a DTS capable AVR.

GMichael
01-18-2006, 11:05 AM
You know, I don't use it that much. I stay with the source. If it's 2 chan than so be it. I did use it on The Abyss(DD2.0) and it does sound decent.

I only have the one tuner from the cable company. My bedroom system just gets stereo from the cable. What's SG1 without surround?
It does a good job, as does DTS Neo6.

Woochifer
01-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Its set to auto,when I hit the display button it says PCM fs:44.1kHz . I have it set on auto(coax), the other options are DVD Multi and DVD Analog when I press audio selector.Digital input says Coax,Optical and DVD - - - -,and I have that set to coax and the pcm light is still on the receiver when im playing music not movies. Is this the correct way if not what am I doing wrong? :confused:

That's because CD audio IS a PCM signal. 44.1 kHz represents the sampling rate used on CDs.

Woochifer
01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Wooch:

Thanks for the clarification on the DTS logo on DVD players. I didn't realize that there had been issues with the DTS bitstream output on some players. I guess I never had any issues with it and assumed as long as you had a digital connection to a DTS capable AVR you were good to go.

Anyhow, I guess what I should have said was that the DTS logo on DVD players is misleading to many people who don't realize they also need a DTS capable AVR.

When I bought my first DVD player, there were still players on the market that could not pass the DTS bitstream through the digital outputs. So, back then it was definitely a consideration! It can be confusing to see that DTS logo on the front of the player, but I believe in most cases the manufacturers are careful to only use the "Digital Out" logo if the player lacks an internal DTS decoder.