Anybody heard of these? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of these?

markw
01-15-2006, 07:08 PM
My step-son in Texas (I'm in Joisey) just told me he bought these on ebay. Are these what I think they are? No, I don't know what he paid. He was warned never to drink and surf the net but did he listen? Noooooo....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5852220087&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

paul_pci
01-15-2006, 07:53 PM
A quick google search revealed a british website purpoting to sell them with a link to ebay. Thus, one cannot be confident that they're even a british speaker as I didn't see any further info. I'm sure this is completely useless, but we here on the west coast like to be as helpful as possible.

eisforelectronic
01-15-2006, 08:24 PM
the only CAT I know is California Audio Technology, but those aren't it.

drseid
01-16-2006, 05:53 AM
"With its exclusive natural wood , the LEB-404 Hi-Fi gloor standing speaker set from CAT is sure to be a fine addition to your home decor. The sound isn't that bad either, with its 3-way system that really packs a punch!"

When the best a seller can say is "the sound isn't that bad," I would say that is a major warning sign. Oh, and I wonder what a "gloor standing speaker" is exactly? ;-) I have a feeling that the seller got tired of driving around in his white van drumming up new business, and now has decided to go for easier prey on ebay. :-(

---Dave

kexodusc
01-16-2006, 06:41 AM
I have a bad feeling about this. Any company that markets a "gloor standing speaker set" as a "fine addition to your home decore" while boasting "sound isn't that bad" in a "3-way system that really packs a punch!" seems a bit sketchy to me.

If they are from the UK, they use the poorest form of the Queen's English I've seen to date, I'm not even sure what "gloor" and "decore" are?

The good news is, a quick history on ebay reveals that the highest these things have sold for in recent weeks is $41..a few went for $13, but most go for $0.01.

So not a total loss - a good coffee table would run you $40 at least.

SlumpBuster
01-16-2006, 07:15 AM
If you look at this bozzo's other sales, they are making money on inflated S&H charges. Cheap knock off watches sold for 1 cent are being charged $35 for shipping and handling. The S&H on those speakers are $90. Even if its not a big profit margin, it is probably still there.

Also, there was some jaggoff trolling the boards with these POS a few months ago. But hey for ninety bucks....

Resident Loser
01-16-2006, 07:55 AM
My step-son in Texas (I'm in Joisey) just told me he bought these on ebay. Are these what I think they are? No, I don't know what he paid. He was warned never to drink and surf the net but did he listen? Noooooo....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5852220087&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

...do a google on SDAT loudspeakers...or SDAT LEB-404...one site says they're German(Flo probably makes 'em...nyuck, nyuck)...didn't read a lot but lotsa' folks seem to sell 'em...lots and lots...MSRPd @ around $300...but for yoooou a hunert clams...the goin' rate. Did a search at a referenced link to AA for them...other than the usual snot, they seem about as popular as Bose...

jimHJJ(...how was your weekend?...)

P.S. Mfr. is the SDAT Group.

The link:

http://www.sdatgroup.com/main.htm

From their site: " Founded in 1968, we have over 3 thousand employees including over 200 engineer and technician, about 500,000sq feet workplace area. With our headquarters located at California , we have several branches in Asiain." AND they're ISO certified...one of the biggest loads of cr@p ever foisted on the entire world IMNSHO...

P.P.S. Saw 'em someplace else w/MSRP of $1600USD ?!?!?!?!?...

P.P.P.S. For a hoot, go to their OEM links...

N. Abstentia
01-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Yes they are 'white van' speakers. Saw a set a while back at a pawn shop. The cardboard box they came in weighs just about as much as the speaker!

markw
01-16-2006, 10:41 AM
...and I did a google. I wasn't too impressed. Oh well, I doubt he spent much on 'em but somehow I think he's gonna be way disappointed. He lived with us for a few years and got used to my systems.

But, how bad can they be? They have three thousand employees, out of which there are 200 engineers and, if I read correctly, one technician. ;)

Thanks, guys. It's time for a Guinness.

topspeed
01-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Isn't this the same company where all of their speakers had 20-20 response, including the mini-monitors? These are white van speakers, all the way. However, if you sprinkle magic pixie snot on them and rest your 'nads on the tweeter between 2am and 3pm, they can dutifully replicate Wilson WP7's! Just don't forget the dead cat.

Sorry, Mark, but it looks like the last good decision your son-in-law made was marrying your daughter.

kexodusc
01-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Sorry, Mark, but it looks like the last good decision your son-in-law made was marrying your daughter

Uhhh, TS, don't think Mark's step-son married his daughter...pretty sure the folks in Texas won't stand for that, white van speakers or not :D

topspeed
01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Uhhh, TS, don't think Mark's step-son married his daughter...pretty sure the folks in Texas won't stand for that, white van speakers or not :D
Whoops! Thought he said son-in-law!

Then again, I'm still steaming over the Rose Bowl so that very well may have been a Freudian slip.

Sorry 'bout that Mark :rolleyes:

GMichael
01-16-2006, 12:24 PM
if you sprinkle magic pixie snot on them and rest your 'nads on the tweeter between 2am and 3pm, they can dutifully replicate Wilson WP7's! Just don't forget the dead cat.

Is the dead cat for his nads?

Sorry, Mark, but it looks like the last good decision your son-in-law made was marrying your daughter.

If you go to family reuinons to meet girls, you might be a .......