Orb Versus Gallo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Orb Versus Gallo

fishnugget
01-15-2006, 02:51 PM
I want to know if anyone has compared the Orb Audio Spheres with the Gallo A'Diva Ti spheres. Any recomendations? I am placing this in a room where appearance is more important than sound (literally, the wife has to be happy about it or else), for that reason, I MUST use satelite speakers. However, the room is 15 X 30 feet with 10 foot ceilings.

Can anyone recommend Orb over the A'Diva ti speakers? Orbs are less expensive by a substantial chunk of change, but Orb recommends the Mod 2 setup for a room this size. Are two mod 2 orbs equal to one Gallo a'diva ti? I have heard the a'diva ti's and they sound great but don't want to rule out the orbs. Thanks

drseid
01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I really don't want to sound so negative, but I would recommend whichever is cheaper of the two (I believe that means Orb)...

My reasoning is in a large room such as yours with super-high ceilings, *no* little spheres (or cubes) will get the job done (no matter what they sound like in the show room). Those speakers are designed for small rooms, and just can't crank the SPLs anywhere near what you will need.

I really do not envy your situation... It is always tough when decor is more important than good sound. :-( Fear not though, there are some compromises that may work with some effort convicing your spouse...

I recommend trying to find a good looking pair of mini-monitors, and pair them with a furniture grade finished subwoofer that can pass WAF. Maybe look at the $775/pr. new Freedom F-2 mini-monitors from Tyler Acoustics ( http://www.tyleracoustics.com ) that are in a real wood veneer, and pair them with a $425 B-stock (open box) UFW-10 subwoofer from Rocket ( http://www.av123.com ). The UFW-10 is super-small, and beautiful looking in either real Rosewood, or Macassar Ebony finishes -- oh yeah, it sounds good too. For about $1200 all in, you will have a great sounding (and looking) 2 channel system that should work for most spouses where decor is super-important.

---Dave

stuartlittle
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I have the Orbs in a room that is a little bigger and a little taller than your room and the Mod2 fill the room with ease. You don't have anything to be concerned about. They are very loud and have an impressive, full sound to them. I actually only have the Mod2 in the front channels and Mod1 in the rear channels.