Revel M12's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Revel M12's

brystonboy
01-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Anyone tried these speakers out or have an opinion on the Revel brand?

drseid
01-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Sorry, can't help on that specific model... I see they only go down to 65 Hz... If you are using them with a sub, then fine (which model is it?)... If they are going to be used by themselves, then the lower bass extension may be a problem for you, as that is pretty light, even for a mini-monitor.

One thing I did notice is that the M12 seems to be pretty much the bottom of the Revel line... Any reason as to why you are looking at the M12 in particular? I remember from your other thread that you said money is not a problem, and that you are looking for flat frequency response, etc... While I can't be sure of this, as I have not heard the M12s, I am pretty confident that the speakers higher in the Revel line will offer sound characteristics closer to what you seek in general... Or *is* money an issue? If so, no problem, we all have financial constraints to work within... It would just make recommending things more helpful to you if you do have a budget to stay within if you let us know what it is. That way we wont recommend 10K floorstanders if you are looking for 1K or less mini-monitors.

---Dave

brystonboy
01-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Sorry, can't help on that specific model... I see they only go down to 65 Hz... If you are using them with a sub, then fine (which model is it?)... If they are going to be used by themselves, then the lower bass extension may be a problem for you, as that is pretty light, even for a mini-monitor.

One thing I did notice is that the M12 seems to be pretty much the bottom of the Revel line... Any reason as to why you are looking at the M12 in particular? I remember from your other thread that you said money is not a problem, and that you are looking for flat frequency response, etc... While I can't be sure of this, as I have not heard the M12s, I am pretty confident that the speakers higher in the Revel line will offer sound characteristics closer to what you seek in general... Or *is* money an issue? If so, no problem, we all have financial constraints to work within... It would just make recommending things more helpful to you if you do have a budget to stay within if you let us know what it is. That way we wont recommend 10K floorstanders if you are looking for 1K or less mini-monitors.

---Dave

In my previous post I was not trying to give the impression that money was of no concern.... in my opinion money is always a factor. I was trying to say that money will not be my deciding factor when it comes to buying my speakers.

As for the sub, I do not own these speakers. They were recommended to me by an audio shop in my town and I was just looking to see if anyone here had information on them.

If I can get something that sounds great for $1000 then I will buy them. However, if it takes 10 times that then I will just start saving my pennies. I am not in a hurry.... I am just looking for advice.

Thanks!!

Jimmy C
01-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyone tried these speakers out or have an opinion on the Revel brand?

...give them a listen. I have the M20s, and the 12s share some of the same characteristics... neutrality, clarity, and composure. Even at high SPLs, instruments sound like they are supposed to - little compression compared to other brands in the same price range. Have you ever turned the volume up and up, looking for some balls only to have the highs drive you out of the room? If so, ya know what I mean...

The Revels ain't perfect, though. There is no artificial warmth like some speakers like to build in - nothing really to "grab on" to, if you will. Also, a decent sub would be beneficial.

They don't possess the resolution and bass of it's bigger brothers, but an excellent sounding, quality speaker for $650ish. Try the floor-standers, too.

Another brand I like under $1K is Nola/Alon.

Happy hunting, and keep us posted...

drseid
01-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I know you don't own the M12s... I asked if you owned a subwoofer, and if yes, what is it. The reason for the question is that if you plan on buying a high quality mini-monitor with little in the way of low bass extension, you will most likely need a subwoofer that can keep up with the mini-monitors.

As for getting good or great sound for $1000... Sure it is very possible if we are talking minimonitors... Floorstanders I would say no as a general rule (at least not from those that I have heard). Of couse everything is relative.

All of that said, if you own a quality subwoofer, then you could pair it with some good $1K/pr, mini-monitors like the Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1s, or the Linn Katans at $800/pr.... If you don't have a good sub, that changes the financial dynamics somewhat.

Also, I guess it depends on just *how* good you want the speakers to sound. At almost every price point within reason you can probably buy a "better" speaker (until you reach the 125K/pr, level where I would say it just is a matter of personal preference for a given set of speakers)... I guess you will have to be the judge as to when the laws of diminishing returns set in. For me it is 10K/pr., for others it may be much higher or lower.

Good luck,

---Dave