Turning the Sub on?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turning the Sub on??

RickG
01-14-2006, 06:53 PM
My SVS Sub arrived the other day and also the SVS bookcase speakers which are quite nice. I, the dummy that I am about this stuff, just plugged the sub into the back of the Denon 2803(7.1) sub port and turned it on. Well, it took me a while to figure out that I have to go back to the Denon manual and have to connect the Denon up to a TV monitor to get the sub to work. In other words, it requires a "system setup" that needs a video screen to program it. I don't have a TV monitor as I purchased the Denon with the idea of gradually building a Home Theater over the course of a couple more years. BTW, I have just a standard CRT Panasonic TV with regular video out plugs right now. Any suggestions, other than going out and buying a TV monitor to get my sub playing? Could I bypass the sub port with a Y into the regular speaker plugs and not have to "set" it on the video screen? I am rather frustrated with the Denon at this point!

markw
01-15-2006, 07:27 AM
No need to curse Denon. This isn't a simple stereo receiver. It's a well functioned home theater receiver and as such was designed to be used in conjunction with a TV. It has a lot of different settings and a lot of those "hidden" functions you read about in your manual are only accessable via menus that can run several levels deep.

You should be able to use your existing TV if it has a video input. Just find a common video connection from the receiver's output to the TV's video input.

At worst, you can pick up a cheapo RF modulator for 30 bucks or so to converrt the composite output (yellow jack) of the Denon to an RF signal. It isn't the greatest picture but it will "work" for now.

Of course, this presumes your receiver will output all the need info through the composite video output. RTFM for more than this.

LMB
01-15-2006, 09:45 AM
You should be able to set it up using your receiver screen without having to hook up to a tv monitor

RickG
01-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the advise. I tried connecting the receiver and the tv again this afternoon. There are input plugs on the tv( like for a video camera) which I used(red, white, yellow) and then tried to find a plug on the Denon. There is a plug for "TV" on the Denon which I tried connecting it to; however, it did not work. I tried experimenting with other inputs but to no avail.
I do understand that it is a home theater unit and it was probably over kill to buy it. It does have several levels of controls which I hope that I will enventually figure out. I am about ready to call someone in the yellow pages that sets up systems to see if they could help. Otherwise, I have a VERY BIG door stop.

RickG
01-15-2006, 06:41 PM
LMB,
The instructions state that the Denon needs to be connected to a "monitor" and gives the set up proceedures for it. There is a screen and menus which you need to follow to set up the system and "tune" it to the room.

markw
01-15-2006, 07:14 PM
...my Denon 2802 is connected to my Proscan tv (not a monitor) via an "S-Video" cable.

Does your TV have this?

Again, check your manual to see if the TV can be connected to the Denon by a composite (yellow jack) cable.

LMB
01-15-2006, 07:31 PM
RickG,

The Instructions for the Pioneer Elite 55Txi also states that you have to set up to a monitor however,
you can still calibrate and set up using the receiver display

paul_pci
01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the advise. I tried connecting the receiver and the tv again this afternoon. There are input plugs on the tv( like for a video camera) which I used(red, white, yellow) and then tried to find a plug on the Denon. There is a plug for "TV" on the Denon which I tried connecting it to; however, it did not work. I tried experimenting with other inputs but to no avail.
I do understand that it is a home theater unit and it was probably over kill to buy it. It does have several levels of controls which I hope that I will enventually figure out. I am about ready to call someone in the yellow pages that sets up systems to see if they could help. Otherwise, I have a VERY BIG door stop.

You probably connected your tv to the "tv input" on the Denon. You need to plug your tv into the "output" plug on the Denon. It will most likely be called "monitor out." Therefore, it will output the setup menu from the Denon to your tv. But make sure to also switch the input on your television to the plug that you are using on it.

RickG
01-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks to all of you,
Yes, I was mixed up about the video out plugs on the TV( I said I was a dummy!) BTW, the TV is pretty basic with a coaxial pin plug for the antenna or cable TV, and the three plugs which ( I am assuming) are OUT , red, white, yellow. The front of the TV has the 3 input plugs for a Video camera( That is what I was using). I am looking at the Denon manual now and there is a Video Monitor out jack using a 75 ohm coaxial pin plug . The manual does state "connect the TV's video input jack (Video input) to the Video monitor out jack using a 75 ohms video coaxial pin plug cord." I will try that and see what happens in the morning when there is more light. Hopefully, I have a cable that I can connect them with. Thanks again.

RickG
01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks to you guys, I finally got my SVS sub working. I took your advice Mark and found the RIGHT plug for the monitor. I got the set up screen and the Denon manual finally made sense. I also had the sub plugged into the WRONG plug, over by the video plugs, and put it in the right plug and, between that and setting up the speaker configuation and setting the perameters for the sub and bookcase SVS's, it worked! Thanks for your patience and advice.

GMichael
01-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks to you guys, I finally got my SVS sub working. I took your advice Mark and found the RIGHT plug for the monitor. I got the set up screen and the Denon manual finally made sense. I also had the sub plugged into the WRONG plug, over by the video plugs, and put it in the right plug and, between that and setting up the speaker configuation and setting the perameters for the sub and bookcase SVS's, it worked! Thanks for your patience and advice.

How does it sound now?

RickG
01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
It sounds great. I dug out my old LP of Anthony Newman playing "Ride of the Walkeries" (R. Wagner) on the big pipe organ at St. John the Divine in NYC. And I finally heard the low 32' pedal. Also, R. Strauss " Thus Spake Zarathustra"(another old Deutsche Grammophon LP) with the pedal point at the beginning and end. My wife has an old Beach Boys which sounded pretty good, as well. The CD organ pieces were very nice. Certainly a change from '70's technology. We have tile floors on cement slap so the sound carries nicely. Thanks again for the help.

markw
01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
... Bela Feck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" from the album of the same name. A fretless bass at it's best. On a well adjusted system it's a smooth glide from the subsonics on up to the upper bass range.