Benefit in using a Audio/Video center(surge ,power conditioner) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Benefit in using a Audio/Video center(surge ,power conditioner)

PAT.P
01-14-2006, 01:56 PM
What is the benefit of using one?For the guys that use one did you notice a before and after in performance in the quality of audio and video?What is these term "clean power" when using one of these Audio/Video centre? And does it work?

EdwardGein
01-14-2006, 02:09 PM
As I posted previously in this thread:

"Monster Cable HTS 3500 Power Conditioner Will Improve Your Video & Audio

Here is a up to date follow up on Monster Cable HTS 3500 Power Conditioner. I definately recommend buying this, especially at the current $165 after rebate price on Amazon.com- it retails for $400 new. It definately improves my HD Picture & improves audio sound as well. In response to HD picture, on my 2003 48" Widescreen Mitsubishi HD TV, it made the HD TV picture crisper & richer, and turned an already "A" HD picture into an A+. In regards to audio, if you plug your receiver into the "CD" slot on it in the digital filter section instead of the slot marked A/V receiver in the analogue section & your subwoofer in the timed amplifier slot (1 of 2 slots) (don't plug your sub into the back of your receiver either when the receiver is plugged into the 3500), the sound is also more richer, stronger/pokier & had more of a soundstage. If however you plug your receiver into the receiver spot & the sub in any other slot other then the amp section, the sound is actually weakened.

Anyway, if you have an extra $165 this is definately worth getting. Looks good too."

If nothing else just too err on the side of caution you should at minimum have a surge protector as you shouldn't plug any expensive electronic stuff directly into your socket as it lowers the risk of your stuff being damaged by any kind of short, brown out, electrical/lightning storm, etc.

westcott
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
What is the benefit of using one?For the guys that use one did you notice a before and after in performance in the quality of audio and video?What is these term "clean power" when using one of these Audio/Video centre? And does it work?

I use 3 Tripp Lite units in my home to protect the AV equipment. I think the model I have is good for 3750 joules. It also isolates the power\noise from the other components plugged into the unit. US$500,000 warranty is also provided. Will also protect phone, ether, and sat\cable. I think they go for around US$80 each.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2813

Hope this helps.

EdwardGein
01-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I use the trip lite for my computer. I felt a little nervous using it on my home theater system.
If your just looking for a surge protector, you can get Monster HT800 for around $50 with shipping at Ebay & it will do a decent job.

PAT.P
01-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys for the reply ,I wanted to see if there was a improvment compare to the plain power bar surge protector.I already lost 2 vcr from power surge and for HT dont mind spending more if it benefit .Also thinking of putting a surge protector a the main fuse box.

westcott
01-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys for the reply ,I wanted to see if there was a improvment compare to the plain power bar surge protector.I already lost 2 vcr from power surge and for HT dont mind spending more if it benefit .Also thinking of putting a surge protector a the main fuse box.

The main fuse box is the best place to install one, and the most effective. :cool:

EdwardGein
01-15-2006, 10:37 AM

I don't think you'll notice any difference in audio sound with a surge protector but will with a stage 3 power conditioner. Basically a surge protector offers you some kind of reassurance of your system being screwed up because of any kind of electrical problem if its directly plugged in. Having said all that, if there is a lightning stom or something, you should still turn your surge protector off & pull it out of the socket.

PAT.P
01-15-2006, 12:12 PM
The main fuse box is the best place to install one, and the most effective. :cool:When I change the fuse panel for a bigger one I'll have one put in.Thanks for reply.

PAT.P
01-15-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't think you'll notice any difference in audio sound with a surge protector but will with a stage 3 power conditioner. Basically a surge protector offers you some kind of reassurance of your system being screwed up because of any kind of electrical problem if its directly plugged in. Having said all that, if there is a lightning stom or something, you should still turn your surge protector off & pull it out of the socket.Thanks for the reply.

LMB
01-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I have the Panamax 5100 it improved my system
With the Monster I still got lines when I ran my cable line through it
With the Panamax it cleaned up the signal picture is great
Good luck

PAT.P
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks again guys ,I would of thought there more people using these.Dont they beleive in them?I did'nt a few month back ,but I had a hitch and went ahead.Needed to have something to really protect my HT.I bought the Panamax MAX 5100,this thing is made like a tank.I had a very bad reception for the cable on some station ,even after the cable company change at least 100 ft outside the house and grounded to fuse panel.I had a plain power surge and still was not satisfied.All I could say the Panamax did the trick,the worst was convincing the spouse for the spending.She is half way there, she did'nt understand its more than a surge protector.