Pop when opening CD tray. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pop when opening CD tray.

Kaboom
01-14-2006, 04:43 AM
I just switched my interconnects (Nordost solar wind and MIT EXP2) between my CD player and preamp and my preamp and poweramp. Now whenever i open the CD tray there's quite a loud pop from my speakers.
i could probably switch my cables back to the way they were (Nordost from CD to preamp and MIT from preamp to poweramp) but i like the sound better the new way, i feel the bass is tigher and more controlled, and the trebble a bit less harsh.
Why does this happen and what can i do about it?
will it harm my speakers?
cheers!

musicoverall
01-16-2006, 06:38 AM
I just switched my interconnects (Nordost solar wind and MIT EXP2) between my CD player and preamp and my preamp and poweramp. Now whenever i open the CD tray there's quite a loud pop from my speakers.
i could probably switch my cables back to the way they were (Nordost from CD to preamp and MIT from preamp to poweramp) but i like the sound better the new way, i feel the bass is tigher and more controlled, and the trebble a bit less harsh.
Why does this happen and what can i do about it?
will it harm my speakers?
cheers!

Well, since cables don't make a difference, it can't be the cable swap! The world must have tilted or something the same instant you swapped I/C's. :)

I've heard of a pop when something is turned on but not when a CDP drawer opens. Have you tried swapping the cables back just to see if they are the cause? The only other solution I know of if you prefer the cables the way they are is to mute your volume when you open the CD tray. What a pain in the backside, though! Or just try a new set of I/C between preamp and amp first, then CDP and preamp.

I'm really curious about this. Let us know what cures it. Sorry to be of no help but this is a new one on me.

Kaboom
01-16-2006, 01:15 PM
ok i'm done experimenting. Swapping the cables back, or trying different sets of cables doesnt help.
neither does it help to switch to another input when opening the tray, nor turning down the volume, so i assume the problem is in the CDP, which is MOST annoying.
for the moment, i'm using the CDP as a transport through an Audio Alchemy DAC which has quite a similar sound, and it doesnt pop when i open the tray, but it is definately very upsetting, specially considering the unit is under 6 months old.
any suggestions, ideas? cheers!

pelly3s
01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
get it fixed it should be under warrenty

pelly3s
01-18-2006, 05:33 AM
use a multimeter and check the output of the CD player and see if when you push the open button is there a spike of DC voltage.