best beatles' recordings on CD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best beatles' recordings on CD?

Kaboom
01-14-2006, 02:43 AM
What are the best available recordings of the Beatle's classic albums on CD?
cheers!

shokhead
01-14-2006, 04:39 AM
I would sure like to see some more remastered and DTS at the very least but for now,maybe Beatles 1.

Slosh
01-14-2006, 05:09 AM
I would sure like to see some more remastered and DTS at the very least but for now,maybe Beatles 1.My friend found a DTS mix of Sgt. Peppers on e-bay and burned me a copy. Kind of a cheesy sounding mix if you ask me, but then again even the original stereo mixes ping-ponged excessively. I wouldn't think these recordings could sound much better than the current CDs, but then again the Stones' Beggars Banquet SACD sounds amazing and that recording is older than me :)

shokhead
01-14-2006, 05:36 AM
I think the stuff where they use a lot of horns and strings would be pretty cool if done right.
BTW,who holds all the strings to weather any of this stuff can be done?

Davey
01-14-2006, 10:21 AM
I would sure like to see some more remastered and DTS at the very least but for now,maybe Beatles 1.
Beatles 1 is the worst. Much better off picking up the original CDs. They don't really sound that bad. For the best sound, there are some offering bootleg needledrops of the original LPs that sound great. You'll have to do your own legwork, but clue #9 = Dr. Ebbetts ;)

Dave_G
01-14-2006, 05:44 PM
I know little of the Beatles (hah) but from what I gather about reading of their stuff on the internet, hardly any cd vesrions of their stuff is worth a crap.

Apple lp's are the way to go.

Dave

shokhead
01-15-2006, 05:42 AM
I always thought the cd's for the recording is pretty good.

BradH
01-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Davey's right, Dr. Ebbetts is the way to go, otherwise known as Dr. Ebbetts Sound System or DESS. Mirror Spock is good, too. I would avoid any others like Millenium Remasters, etc.

Mike Anderson
01-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Any clues on where to get the Dr. Ebbets remasters? I went through several pages of hits on Google but couldn't find them for sale anywhere. (PM me if you must, thx)

Kaboom
01-15-2006, 05:43 PM
yes i would also like a PM concerning Dr. Ebbets.
cheers!

Ron Nasty
01-17-2006, 05:27 AM
The first four Beatles albums have been remastered and were released what, a year or two ago? Some complain of too much reverb in the mix. To my ears thats not an issue. But my ears are shot so what do I know? Buy the boxed set for $50. That'll help put pressure on the powers that be to continue to remaster the rest of their catalogue.

I also second what Brad said, those Dr. Ebbets MOFIs are awesome. I can't get Abbey Road out of my player.

Davey
01-17-2006, 03:21 PM
The first four Beatles albums have been remastered and were released what, a year or two ago? Some complain of too much reverb in the mix. To my ears thats not an issue.
Ah, the old Crapitol versions. It's a shame they couldn't have put the effort and money into working on the real ones, but that's what ya get. I remember a long long time ago, pulling out a box of all my old Crapitol vinyl releases of those early albums, cause my parents were in a record club and my older sister got to pick out a bunch of stuff she wanted so we had a good supply of Beatles and Dave Clark and Herman's Hermits and the Monkees and all that when I was just a tiny little indie hipster, and I naturally inherited them all since I'm the only one in the family that really gives a crap about all that "junk", and so I pulled them all out just for grins because I knew they were all chewed up by the ceramic stylus and hundreds of plays, and all the mishandling by my ill-mannered siblings, and I ran them through the VPI vacuum machine with all the right elixors to wash away the years of neglect, and by that time I had a few UK originals and 70s pressings, and minty vinyl copies of the Red and Blue sets on pretty transluscent red and blue vinyl, and so as expected, the UK pressings, even the later ones, have audiophile sound compared to the Crapitols, but surprisingly (and disappontingly) the Crapitols still embarrassed the later Red and Blue pressings. The moral, you ask? Look for a minty BC-13 box and pay the silly money once and then forget about it until you're dead :)

BradH
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Ah, the old Crapitol versions. It's a shame they couldn't have put the effort and money into working on the real ones, but that's what ya get.

Nah, they would've screwed those up, too. It's like Steve Hoffman said, it doesn't matter if you have the original master if you don't know what you're doing. I'm convinced most of them don't. Hoffman says there are only a handful of purists leff. He mentioned Bill Inglot at Rhino and Britton at MofFi plus a couple of others. Bob Ludwig did the 2002 remaster of the Stones' Aftermath and it sounds like hell compared to the first German cd pressing on the London label. It's not that the Germans did anything special, it's just clear that Ludwig had a crappy copy. Or he screwed it up.

I still can't get over this about Hoffman doing the original Who cd's for MCA then they trashed those for the "remasters". I was telling Dave D that A Quck One is unlistenable.