Movie critic quotes, pass on the word. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movie critic quotes, pass on the word.

Kam
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
something that had always been an annoyance to me, someone else exposed!

http://www.hollywood*****slap.com/feature.php?feature=1678

and

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=SCANNERS

both articles are very good reads and very interesting how the battle and loss of film criticism has progressed over the last several years.

kexodusc
01-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Might just be me, but even the really stupid people I know won't confess to actually giving a damn about what some hollywood critic thinks about a movie.
They'll listen, if only to consider the film, learn about it, and help make an informed decision on whether or not to watch, but I don't know of any who really make decisions based on critic drivel.

The irony here is the studios might be playing john to these quote whores and receiving no benefit at all. So this downfall might not be that meaningful?
Just a thought.

topspeed
01-13-2006, 10:30 AM
People actually still listen to critics? I might consider Ebert's opinion, if only because you have to love anybody that actually wrote an entire movie based on bad taste and boobs. Otherwise, I usually ignore "professional" reviews and always any quotes in a trailer. I would hope that most people know all about quote whores by now. It's not like this is new. Years ago, one of the news programs (i.e. Dateline) did a bit on these charlatans (sp?). Movies are a business, and you can invariably either find someone, somewhere that either liked the movie or will gleefully accept payment to say they did. Hollywood ain't exactly known for it's scruples, ya know?

There are plenty of movies that critics loved that I couldn't stand, most notably Fargo (ugh!). Conversely, there have been movies that were universally panned but I enjoyed. As with audio, it's always best to come to your own conclusions.

topspeed
01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Might just be me, but even the really stupid people I know ...
HEY!!! I resembl....er, resent that remark!

GMichael
01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Two examples leap to my mind. Correct me if I'm wrong here. But I remember critics hated the original Star Wars when it came out. But they loved Fried Green Tomatos.

"nuff said.

Kam
01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Might just be me, but even the really stupid people I know won't confess to actually giving a damn about what some hollywood critic thinks about a movie.
They'll listen, if only to consider the film, learn about it, and help make an informed decision on whether or not to watch, but I don't know of any who really make decisions based on critic drivel.

The irony here is the studios might be playing john to these quote whores and receiving no benefit at all. So this downfall might not be that meaningful?
Just a thought.

yeah that would be the nice kicker to find out! not sure if there are any studies out there that say how much do those 'critical quotes' help in brining an audience member in since i generally ignore whatever it is being said in the trailers with all the monster superlatives given out to every movie every week. that'd be awesome if it wasnt and they have to suck up to these critics who they would probably normally never associate with. only to have absolutely NO benefit to the sale of their movies! :) that'd be nice.

still, just in the overall scheme of things, it's not a "good" thing to have happen. its just another floating negativity out there that we could all do without. (and......... done, now i step down from my philosophical high horse). :)