AR 3a speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AR 3a speakers

northern-bear
01-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Help!! I need someone`s help to determine the correct price of a pair of AR 3a speaker, working units with fair cabinet appearance, front cloth changed, others remain original. Asking for $600 bucks, is it fair? Please tell me...........
albert

2bluechris
01-13-2006, 04:53 AM
The AR3a is a very old speaker , hence unless they sound very good when you try them , I doubt they are worth $600. , except to a Collector . These are famous as one of the best speakers of their era in their price and type sector , and one of AR's early best , thus they are worth what-ever a collector is willing to pay , which with the front cloth changed will not be $600. , unless that collector is a fool ! If they are still working well , then probably their woofers will have been changed , or have had their foam surrounds replaced , because those surrounds deteriorate and fracture with age - so take the grille / front covers off and look . There is a web-site dedicated to classic west coast US Manufacturers' loudspeakers which has disscussion page / forum about collectable AR speakers ,where to get seviced , etc ... I regret I have forgotten its name ! , so try a Search including the words :- Acoustic Research ; AR : Advent : KLH ; . I found it when I was searching for AR7 information , so try with AR7 in there also . best wishes , Chris .

pelly3s
01-13-2006, 05:33 AM
I wouldnt say they are worth $600 unless they are 100% original in mint condition and that is only to a collector. I would say maybe around $200 if all the drivers were original that is the highest I would do for them

I dont know of the forum that 2bluechris mentioned but I am slightly confused on why a forum about west coast speakers would have info on an east coast company

2bluechris
01-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Sorry - my brain got fuddled - East coast is correct , and now I have remembered the web-site :- http://www.classicspeakerpages.net , {I hope I have remembered correctly!} , best wishes , Chris .