MMF 2.1 vs. GR 1.2 vs Debut lll [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MMF 2.1 vs. GR 1.2 vs Debut lll

Sweet Spot
01-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Basically, these three are around the same price, leaving the question.... Which one is the best deal ? I've decided to go a bit more budget than going straight for the MMF 5, because I need to test whether or not I'll be using the turntable enough to warrant spending more and more money on analogue gear.

I'd of course want the one with the best sound and build quality, and which isn't a major hassle to set up and maintain. Anyone who has ideas or opinions, please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Doug

royphil345
01-13-2006, 07:13 AM
For me, the Music Hall would be out because the Elan cartridge has a conical stylus. You'd want to upgrade that real soon.

The magnetic anti-skate on the Goldring table would give you a little more precise setting than the string / weight on the Pro-Ject. Although, I don't know about the MDF platter on the Goldring... Not saying it's a bad thing... Just different enough where it might make me choose something else...

Probably couldn't go wrong with the Goldring or the Pro-Ject. The installed cartridges should be about equally capable. If I had to make the choice, it would probably take me awhile... "Nicer tonearm or metal platter...hmm..."

Sweet Spot
01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Good feedback, thanks. Now, let's say you DID replace the cartridge on the Music Hall, to something a bit more decent (IYPOV), nooow would you choose the MMF ? And if so, would you say that the money spent on the replacement cartridge was justified by the the rest of the parts in comparison with the Goldring and Debut tables ? (hope that made sense)

In regards to tonearms and platters...Which plays a more pivotal role when it comes to overall performance ? I'm going to guess the platter does, whereas the tonearm mostly gives the sound an specific characteristic, correct ? (and can provide more isolation too) If that is indeed the case, then what beef to you have with MDF boards on tt's ?

Aaack...All you're actually making me want to do, is go with the MMF-5. Not good sir...not good. (for my wallet anyway). I MUST stick to a budget for now. Any other ideas ?

Doug

royphil345
01-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Well... After checking them all out again... I'd probably go with the Pro-Ject.

All of these tables are built to compete with each other at a low price. Compromises have to be made to keep the price down.

The MDF platter on the Goldring does bother me because they won't list the platter weight or wow and flutter specs anywhere. A heavier platter helps keep the speed steady, can't change speed as quickly as a lighter one. The Goldring probably has the best arm out of the bunch. Seems maybe they had to compromise a little too much on the platter to keep the price down though.

The aluminum platter on the Music Hall is probably the nicest / most durable. out of the bunch. The arm seems fine, but I like the looks of the one-piece arm on the project better. Music Hall also compromised a little more on the cartridge.

The Pro-Ject seems like the best compromise to me. Like the arm. The platter is steel, which was probably cheaper than the aluminum to make. But at the same time, it may also be heavier than the aluminum. The wow and flutter specs on the Pro-Ject are just a touch better than on the Music Hall. Don't know what the downside may be... Easier to bend?... Eventual corrosion?... Steel is another material not often used for turntable platters. Wouldn't know what to expect in the long run. Also like the Ortofon cartridge. Will probably have a slightly more "laid back" sound than the Goldring, but will probably track a little better. I'd have to say, in stock form, the Pro-Ject is probably the best "bang for the buck" performance wise. The Music Hall might be a little more solidly built overall though. I'd say worth considering if you're willing to upgrade the cartridge in the NEAR future. I wouldn't be surprised if the bearings and motors for all these tables come from the same place. Probably not much difference there.

Well... Thats my 2 cents. That's about all it's worth since I don't own any of those tables...LOL. Maybe some of my observations will help...

Sweet Spot
01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Difficult things to work with here mate, but I appreciate all of the opinions and such. I got a PM from someone saying this:
I've read that some people had hum issues with the Debut III, believing the cause to be the steel platter or motor. This is unsubstantiated as far as I know.

Unsubstantiated being the key word there, but still, it makes me a bit less likely to want to deal with a tt which has received complaints of that nature, no matter the reason. Now, I'm willing to upgrade the cartridge on the MMF 2.1, IF that would make it a better deal overall compared to the Goldring as stock, which I'm guessing you would think is the case. The Goldring does however, get pretty decent marks/reviews from various sources, and I've never seen anything which lists its MDF platter as being a problem or of particularly bad quality.

This really is one hard decision to make. Does anyone else here have any comments ? Perhaps someone who has tried or owns these decks ? Thanks.

Doug

Fake Edit: These are the cartridges I'm willing to purchase, which will still put me under $400 all together.

Pickering EP-HI-FI Cartridge

Price: $69.99

.......................... .......................... .......................... .......................... ..........................
Stanton 680 HIFI Cartridge

Stanton 680 Hi-Fi

Price: $69.95

Ortofon OM Series Phono Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon OM 10 Super

Price: $69.00

Ortofon OMP Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon OMP 10

Ortofon OM Series Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon D 25 M Cartridge

Ortofon OM Series Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon OM 78 Cartridge

.......................... .......................... .......................... .......................... ..........................
Goldring Elan Cartridge [click for more]

Goldring Elan Cartridge

Price: $63.00

Grado Labs Prestige Series MI Phono Cartridge [click for more]

Grado Green Cartridge

Price: $60.00
Mount

Audio-Technica P-Mount Cartridge [click for more]

Audio-Technica 311EP

Price: $60.00

Ortofon 510 MK II Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon 510 MK II Cartridge

Price: $59.00

Sumiko Oyster Cartridge [click for more]

Sumiko Oyster Cartridge

Price: $55.00

Audio Technica 71ELC Cartridge [click for more]

Audio-Technica 71ELC Cartridge

Price: $50.00

Audio-Technica 301EP

Audio-Technica 92ECD

Ortofon 310 U Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon 310 U Cartridge

Price: $49.00

Ortofon OM Series Phono Cartridge [click for more]

Ortofon OM 5E

Price: $45.00

royphil345
01-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Think you may have found the drawback of a steel platter. Makes sense that steel would transmit any magnetic energy from under the platter to the cartridge. Didn't think of that. I had a feeling there would be some drawback to it. Knew the platter was the compromise on that table.

The arm on that Goldring table is sure tempting... They really need to publish specs on that table though. The wow and flutter ratings on all these tables aren't the greatest to begin with (over .1%). In the old days, even most of the "plastic fantastic" turntables could beat those specs. Would still probably shy away from a table that may have a little worse wow and flutter than that due to a lighter platter.

I hope you get some more input from some owners of these tables. That would be helpful.

If you go with the Music Hall / cartridge upgrade... I'd recommend the Shure M97xE. Think it will outperform anything on your list for about the same $ if you shop for a deal (http://www.simplycheap.com/simplycheap/shurem97xe.html). For a little over $100.00 you could get an Ortofon OM-20 Super. The Shure was selling for around $65.00 shipped at alot of stores until recently. The price seems to have gone up to around $90.00 everywhere. If you look around, you can still find a better deal at a few places.

Sweet Spot
01-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I was actually just looking at the Ortofon super 10, which of course can at some point be upgraded to the 20 or 30. It's going for $54 at :
KAB (http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ortofon.htm)

J&R Music has the MMF 2.1 for about $289, which with NYC sales tax, comes out to the same as the online price of $314.

So, it's the MMF or the Goldring. Just a Wheeee bit more research and I"ll be there.

I wish that someone with experience with these decks would come foward.

Doug.

Mike That Likes Music
01-15-2006, 07:10 PM
... okay, so I'm just saying this to put my 2 cents in. I've never actually listened to any of these tables. I must say I'm quite interested in all these tables as well, so thanks for bringing it up. Anyhoo, a note on MDF.
For those not aware, MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. It's basically a bunch of sawdust mixed together with industrial strength glue and put under a LOT of pressure to be formed in 4'x8' sheets. I'm a woodworker, and I use the stuff all the time. A 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF generally weighs in the neighborhood of 125 pounds, as opposed to particle board or plywood at usually less than 1/2 the weight. And since it's made of sawdust, it's got an incredibly smooth surface and consistency throughout. This stuff is seriously dense, so I imagine a platter made from it would be surprisingly heavier than most people would think. Oh, and the majority of speakers in the world are based around MDF internal cabinetry. Even those costing tens of thousands of dollars. So obviously it has SOME desirable acoustic properties. I have no idea if it sounds any better than any other platter material, but I have to applaud Goldring for trying it out. Rant over.
Mike

Sweet Spot
01-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Interestingly enough, the base of the MMF 2.1 is made from MDF. Can't say though, whether or not using a more or less resonant material for the base opposed to the platter is effective comparatively speaking. Then I found this, part of a descriptive review of the NAD 533 (which is a re-branded Rega P2 as I understand it):

While most platters are made of metal, the 533's is manufactured FROM medium-density fibreboard (MDF), whose high mass provides a flywheel action for smooth rotation and consistent speed. Acoustically the platter is almost dead, so it doesn't suffer the acoustic sensitivity at certain frequencies that is common with metal platters and that frequently colours sound as a result. The platter's thick felt mat damps the remaining acoustic energy further, and provides even support for the record throughout.

Many turntables use hollow bases to house the motor, spindle bearing, and well. These bases tend to amplify resonances, which can be transferred to the platter, tone arm and cartridge to affect sound adversely. The 533, however, keeps resonances as low as possible by using a base that is a solid piece of MDF. Large rubber feet isolate the entire turntable FROM external vibrations. Both these measures reduce the turntable's sensitivity to acoustic feedback.

So apparently MDF is not such a bad thing eh...rather quite the opposite if applied correctly ?

Decisions, decisions.

royphil345
01-16-2006, 03:56 AM
1 piece of MDF with no suspension is actually a pretty crappy plinth. The isolation on these tables isn't the best. That's one reason why these turntables are the cheapest you can buy. Reviews often quote word-for-word the manufacturer's advertising / press release.

What the plinth or even what speakers are made of has absolutely nothing to do with what the best material for a smallish-sized turntable platter is. Steel works great for the body of my car. Not going to try steel tires though. The one trait that all of the platters on true high-end tables share is not what material they are made of, it's that they are all HEAVY.

I'm still not saying that MDF is a bad material for a turntable platter. There have been successful designs using MDF platters. Although, I believe they were a bit larger. Hard to say for sure though, since Goldring won't list the weight of theirs.

The things that become very clear when comparing these three tables... The competition at this price-point is fierce. Compromises have to be made at this price-point.

If Goldring's design produced specs that were superior to the other models, I have to believe they'd publish them. Maybe they just wanted to give the other guys a chance? I simply mentioned that I'd be cautious buying any "high-end" gear with no specs listed. Especially when the wow and flutter specs of the competing models are already outside of the .1% range that many consider to be acceptable.

Really, I couldn't care less what you buy. Some of the reasoning in this thread was starting to bother me though...

Sweet Spot
01-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Really, I couldn't care less what you buy. Some of the reasoning in this thread was starting to bother me though... Um, there really isn't a whole lot of "reasoning" going on here, since I personally don't know much about what goes into making a good turntable. At that point, it's more speculation and self concluded logic since not many people besides you (well none really) are bringing anything else to the table. (no pun intended)

You bring up a good point, which is the price point vs. competition in the area of that. It's hard to make a decision based on specs only, since you know that the price point as you say, forces the manufacturer to sacrifice certain aspects of quality, in order to make that so. What to do then ? I mean, if you're sighting the wow and flutter specs for each as being less than desireable, then you'd have to suspect a competitor wouldn't dare venture too far off of that mark when not publishing their specs...right ?

The real problem here, is that we don't have anyone to give us any real input. I too am aware of how reviews are published, and with what tools. I'd much rather have consumer feedback, but I haven't seen any in this thread as of yet. Time to scour the web.

Doug

dean_martin
01-16-2006, 10:20 PM
OK, here's my .02. When I was looking for a table in the $300 range the only real choices that interested me were the Pro-ject 1.2 and the MMF2.1. Yes, they were made in the same factory, but on different lines. The Pro-ject just looked like a more solid table. The arm didn't look as flimsy. The general consensus was that the Pro-ject was the better table/arm combo, but the Music Hall came with a better cartridge. This was before Pro-ject was distributing its Debut table in the US. At that time it was the Debut II rather than the III, but it wasn't a choice for me because it wasn't available to me. I've been pleased with the Pro-ject 1.2, but I'm still experimenting with carts. That Sumiko Oyster wasn't for me, but I suspected that going in.

Pro-ject apparently phased out the 1.2 in the US and introduced the Debut III which more closely resembles the Music Hall to me. It's arm is a step down from the Pro-ject 1.2 and maybe the same as Music Hall's 2.1.

From what I understand, the arms on all 3 of the tables you're looking at may be subject to hum with Grado carts due to shielding issues. The Goldring table either came along after I got my table or I simply wasn't aware of it, so I don't have any experience with it. But, I think the latest version of the Rega P2 (which I understand is being discontinued) also uses an MDF platter. So maybe the P2 is a good comparison for the Goldring since they use basically the same arm and both have MDF platters.

As far as isolation goes, I think it depends on whether you're dealing with external vibrations or internal vibrations. It really boggles my mind that you would need some elaborate, extensive external vibration system. Who are these people that place their table on a vibrating or unstable stand or rack? Maybe I'm missing something. I think I've noticed "foot fall" effects on a table only once and then the table was on a lightweight bargain stand in a room with suspended wood floors where heavy walking had a trampoline affect on the floor.

slate1
01-17-2006, 05:46 AM
A few things to note as a former and current owner of Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Rega gear:

- Choose the MDF platter over steel; steel rings, MDF doesn't - it will yield you better results.

- There will be virtually no audible difference between the Music Hall and Pro-ject tables you're looking at if you put the same cartridge on them.

- The Goldring table's arm is NOT the same arm as the Rega RB-250. According to Rega the Goldring arm is spec'd with bearings that are inferior to the RB-250 and the mounting to the plinth is done via a 3-screw collar. The problem with the mounting method is that it allows for NO VTA adjustment at all.

- Your best bet for a belt drive in this price range is either to get Rega P2 from www.amusicdirect.com for $425 (on sale now since it's being discontinued) or get a Moth Alamo "S" from www.britaudio.com for $399. Either will smoke the Pro-Ject and MusicHall tables primarily due to the arm. The final run of P2's from Rega included a glass platter instead of the MDF - I'd call Music Direct and ask them about that. If the ones they have in stock have the glass platter it's a real no-brainer at $425. Smack a Shure M97xE or an Ortofon OM-10 on and you'll have a great budget belt-drive rig.

I own a Music Hall MMF-7 and owned a 2.1 many years ago. Don't get me wrong - the MMF-7 is a fine table; but, quite bluntly, the Pro-Ject arms are tinker-toys compared to the Rega arm.

If the Rega, NAD, and Moth are out of your price range and it comes down to the strictly the Pro-Ject, MusicHall, and Goldring - I'd go with the Goldring. In my experience though - I really think you'd be wise though to save a few more dollars and go for the $425 P2. Call Music Direct, they may be able to work with you on the price a bit too.

Sweet Spot
01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks slate, I'm looking at the P2, and it looks like the price is back up to $495, but I shall call them later to see what the story is on that one. Should it actually be $425 and have a glass platter, I'll get it for sure. If it's $500, I'll have to reconsider. My only apprehension with buying this table is that it's located only in the U.K., correct ?

If this means anything, the MMF 2.1 allows for VTA adjustment. Outside of this, at the $300 price range, I can't see any other advantages. Hmmm.....

Thanks DM, for your info as well. I could swear that I came accross a Pro Ject 1.2 on the net somewhere...though I can't recall where exactly. What I'm getting from you guys is that spending $300 is a bit of a waste, when for about $100 or a bit more, I can get a much better value/table.

Doug

Sweet Spot
01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Just got off the phone with Music Direct, and they have ONE P2 left, with the glass platter. Last one in stock at all, then it's the P3. It's not on sale though, so it's the regular $495. That's $200 off my mark, and at that point, I might as well just go for the MMF-5 which is $566, or even the NAD 533 at $500 or even the Pro-Ject xpression which is $450.

Back to the drawing board.

slate1
01-18-2006, 05:26 AM
Doug - That's total BS on Muic Directs part!! They've got it in their sale catalog that just came late last week as a "closeout" item for $425. I'm looking at it right now. I'd call them back and push the issue, tell them that you've seen it in their latest sale flyer a friend of yours has and it's listed at $425. If that doesn't work (let me know if it doesn't as I'll have to reconsider recommending them to anyone else...) give the following a call, they'll probably meet the price if they have any in stock:

Larry @ Hollywood Sound: (877) 921-1408
Bill @ Uptown Audio: (540) 343-1250

As a matter of fact, I'd call Larry at Hollywood Sound first - he's a GREAT guy that I've purchased several tables from - always at a considerable discount. Just tell either of these guys that the latest Music Direct sale flyer lists the P2 as a closeout at $425 and you'd like them to meet that price. Even though the P2 has been discontinued there's still quite a bit of stock available in the US.

Rega has a US distributor (The Sound Organization) - any warranty work, etc. would be handled here in the US, not the UK even though the table is built in the UK.

As for the MMF-5, again, a great table - but the arm AND platter bearing are inferior to the ones on the P2. As I said, I still own a Music Hall (MMF-7) and it's a fine table, but the bearing is noisy and the arm is not up to handling any of the nicer carts. If it was in my main system I'd sell it in a heart-beat and buy a Rega if I was strictly looking at belt-drve.

The NAD, at the same cost of the P2 retail, has an inferior plinth, platter and arm compared to the glass platter P2. Also, by Rega's own admission - the bearings in the OEM arms they build for NAD, Moth, Goldring, etc. are not the same spec as the ones they use on their own tables. Even the OEM Rega bearings are better than the Pro-Ject bearings though.

The bottom line is that over the years I've owned almost every "budget" belt-drive table there is to own (Music Hall 2.1, 5, and 7; SOTA Moonbeam; Rega P-3, P-25, P-5, Michell TecnoDec) and as far as budget belt-drive goes there's no comparison to the Rega in regards to bang for the buck.

The bearings are the heart of the turntable and tonearm - Rega just has these down. Just take a look at which arm is standard on a vast majority of the big-buck tables from SOTA, Michell, AVID, etc..... it's the entry level Rega RB-250 - the same arm found on the P-2.

JohnMichael
01-18-2006, 08:26 AM
I agree with slate1 and his recomendation for the Rega P2. You will be getting an excellent tonearm and a very dependable table.

Sweet Spot
01-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Thank you very much Slate, I will definitely call tomorrow and press the issue with them. I'll also take Larry's and Bill's numbers and call them, should MD give me the run around. This was a great help, and I hope I can make the purchase tomorrow on my lunch break.

Slate, I'm sending you a PM with a related question....

Also, thanks John, for the confirmation.

Doug.

Sweet Spot
01-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok, just got off the phone with Music Direct, and my total SANS cartridge, is $445 including shipping of course. I wasn't aware that it came without a cartridge though.. Also, the guy didn't guarantee the deck was new or demo, nor that it was with the glass platter, though the guy the other day said he only had one left, and it was the one with the glass platter so... Something there smells a bit...

Cartridge time. I was thinking about the Ortofon 10 or the Sure M97xE. Any other thoughts on cartridges, especially one to compliment the P2 ?

Oh, and thanks guys for putting me over my budget (you know, the gun to the head thing and all ! ;) )

It should arrive in 3-5 days...I'm very excited !

Doug

JohnMichael
01-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Ok, just got off the phone with Music Direct, and my total SANS cartridge, is $445 including shipping of course. I wasn't aware that it came without a cartridge though.. Also, the guy didn't guarantee the deck was new or demo, nor that it was with the glass platter, though the guy the other day said he only had one left, and it was the one with the glass platter so... Something there smells a bit...

Cartridge time. I was thinking about the Ortofon 10 or the Sure M97xE. Any other thoughts on cartridges, especially one to compliment the P2 ?

Oh, and thanks guys for putting me over my budget (you know, the gun to the head thing and all ! ;) )

Doug

Doug I use the Ortofon 20 with my Planar 2. I found it a little tall for the arm without a 2mm spacer. Of course that may not be the same for you since I installed an aftermarket subplatter. The Shure should be the right height without the need for a spacer. Congrats on the new table.

Sweet Spot
01-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Thank you John :) Out of curiosity, which aftermarket platter did you buy, and from where ? I take it that your P2 had the MDF platter upon purchase ?

Next stop: Furniture. (And to buy the currently out of stock Outlaw Audio RR 2150)

slate1
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM

Doug

Hello Doug -

I've got to tell you - that really just surprises the hell out of me concerning Music Direct... they've always been fairly good to deal with. I'm sure it will all work out just fine though - and I'd be VERY surprised if it had the MDF platter - all the ones that have come into the US in the last 9 months or so have had the glass.

The glass platter on the P2 isn't quite as thick as the one on the P3 so you shouldn't have any problems with VTA using either the Ortofon or the Shure. If it ends up being a tad "tail-down" the spacers are only $15 (you're so over budget at this point - what's another few bucks! :p )

What kind of music do you listen to? The Shure is a VERY neutral cartridge - I found it to sound great with jazz and classical but to be a bit laid back with rock. It will track any damned thing you throw at it though.

The Ortofon, on the other hand, has a good bit more "oooomph" to it and it sounds fantastic with rock, jazz, and classical; not quite the trackers the Shure is but still quite good. Some have claimed they find the Ortofons to be a bit bright - I've never found that to be the case with regards to the OM-10 and OM-20 although the OM-30 and 40 can get a tad bright with the wrong equipment. This is true with just about every fine-line stylus I've heard though. I'm a big fan of eliptical styli like those found on the OM-10/20 and Shure - they just seem to give a better, more even-handed musical presentation. I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

Keep us informed as to how it all turns out. I'm sure this will be just the beginning... heh, you think you're over-budget now... give it a month or two! The great thing about the P2 is that if you decide you love vinyl (and I'm sure you will...) you've got a great base to build upon. A nice Dynavector 10x5 will be every bit as much at home on that table as the Shure or Ortofon will be.

JohnMichael
01-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Thank you John :) Out of curiosity, which aftermarket platter did you buy, and from where ? I take it that your P2 had the MDF platter upon purchase ?

Next stop: Furniture. (And to buy the currently out of stock Outlaw Audio RR 2150)

My Planar 2 is about seven years old and has the glass platter. I replaced the subplatter on which the glass platter rests. I purchased it from Music Direct and it is called the Deep Groove subplatter. I have also rewired the tonearm. None of these things were needed to enjoy the turntable. I have just modified it for slight improvements in sound quality. The table has served me well and I just wanted to hotrod it a little. Rega's are the Honda Civics of turntables. People make aftermarket tweaks to push the performance of the original.

Sweet Spot
01-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks so much for all of your input and help Slate1, I always enjoy great feedback such as yours to get me going in the right direction. Musically speaking, I enjoy a wide range of genres. I am a musician of sorts myself (playing guitar for around 15 years, and have played trombone a bit too), and so I tend to keep an open mind about things. I've been enjoying Classical, blues and jazz since I was about 17 (33 now) and really enjoy bands like say:

Radiohead; Interpol; Metric; Sneaker Pimps and a lot of other bands of that nature. When I think of vinyl, I think, Jeff Buckley, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Miles Davis, Byrd, Trane etc..

So even though I've recently bought a new CD player to go along with the receiver I'm about to purchase (NAD C521BEE) (Outlaw Audio RR2150), I feel that from what I remember about vinyl (I used to hang with my aunt as a kid a lot, who had a deck, and was a hippie who played great music) there are a ton of artist's whom I'd much rather hear on vinyl than cd, which is sometimes a bit too analytical for my tastes.

I've searched this forum, and have catalogued a bunch of vinyl stores,

Elusive Disc
All vinyl records
Music direct
audiophile
themusic.com
saturday audio
mymusicfix
musicangle

Let me know if I missed any good ones.
so I'll be ready to go when the time comes. Now all I need, is a must have vinyl list ! :)

As far as Music Direct goes, I hate to say it but, what I think is that someone was trying to get away with selling the P2 at the regular price. Because, if no one brings up the sale price, why bother selling it at that rate, right ? A bit cheesy, but that's just what I suspect at this point.

Question about housing the turntable now... Are any particular types of material not advised or visa versa ? There's this place near where I live, called Gothic Cabinet and they have this pretty nice and SOLID wood piece, which is flat on the floor, no legs and can fit a TV and TT on top. Just not sure if it will fit the receiver.

After the furniture, all I'll need is the speaker cable and interconnects. For the cable, I'm either getting the "anti-cables" or some banana plug terminated ones by Dayton. Not sure about the interconnects though....Wrong section in the forum, so I'll post another thread.

I'm going to have to start another thread concerning setting up the deck and all (adjustments etc), so let me again say thank you all very much for helping me make a decision and for helping me spend some cash. :D

Sweet Spot
01-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Guess who received a Rega P2 today ? Guess...come on....

That's right, moi ! It's beautiful, especially with its glass platter ! It actually came yesterday, but the stupid ass UPS guy went to the wrong building with the same apt. # ! I was so pissed, when I tracked it, to find that it said first attempt failed. I was like "whaaat ?" I was home all day waiting for it !

My door guy said he went to the wrong bldg ! Aaaanyway, I was out getting something at the store just now, and on my way back in, I saw the UPS guy, and decided to have a lil' chat, and pick up my package. So here I am, hungry as hell, and only concerned with one thing... My Rega ! It's really quite nice, and I can't wait until I pick up the cartridge. Which one though, is still up for debate. I might just get the Rega Bias 2, unless someone here has something to say about that ?

Doug

JohnMichael
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM

That's right, moi ! It's beautiful, especially with its glass platter ! It actually came yesterday, but the stupid ass UPS guy went to the wrong building with the same apt. # ! I was so pissed, when I tracked it, to find that it said first attempt failed. I was like "whaaat ?" I was home all day waiting for it !

My door guy said he went to the wrong bldg ! Aaaanyway, I was out getting something at the store just now, and on my way back in, I saw the UPS guy, and decided to have a lil' chat, and pick up my package. So here I am, hungry as hell, and only concerned with one thing... My Rega ! It's really quite nice, and I can't wait until I pick up the cartridge. Which one though, is still up for debate. I might just get the Rega Bias 2, unless someone here has something to say about that ?

Doug

I have never owned a Rega cartridge but you will not have any vertical tracking angle problems. They should work well together since they are designed by the same company. Let us know haw they sound. I remember 7 years ago how happy I was when I picked up my Rega. Enjoy you made an excellent choice.

Sweet Spot
01-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Thank you John, I'm really looking foward towards putting it together and hooking it up. The receiver STILL isn't in stock, so I have no idea how long I'll have to wait. :(

There's something I found to be very interesting though, as I took the deck out of the wrapping.... Seeing as how the deck comes with built in RCA connectors, I really started to wonder about the validity of using "quality" interconnects. I mean, if using these standard RCA type connectors is fine for a decent quality deck, which is made by a pretty reputable company.... see my point ?

I'm sure that someone will have some "smart" answer, but I'm still curious to hear it. Also, aside from the VTA adjustments (which I might not have to mess with should i get the rega cart), what other set up things should I look foward to doing, and where might I find a very detailed guide for noobs, to do it all ?

Regards,
Doug

JohnMichael
01-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Thank you John, I'm really looking foward towards putting it together and hooking it up. The receiver STILL isn't in stock, so I have no idea how long I'll have to wait. :(

There's something I found to be very interesting though, as I took the deck out of the wrapping.... Seeing as how the deck comes with built in RCA connectors, I really started to wonder about the validity of using "quality" interconnects. I mean, if using these standard RCA type connectors is fine for a decent quality deck, which is made by a pretty reputable company.... see my point ?

I'm sure that someone will have some "smart" answer, but I'm still curious to hear it. Also, aside from the VTA adjustments (which I might not have to mess with should i get the rega cart), what other set up things should I look foward to doing, and where might I find a very detailed guide for noobs, to do it all ?

Regards,
Doug

One thing with the Rega is that the only way to make VTA adjustments is with spacers. If you use their cartridge you will never have to adjust for it. Now for vertical tracking force you may need a Shure tracking force scale which will cost about $20.00. Another item I like to use with my Rega is the Mo Fi GeoDisc to set overhang and tangency. You received a paper template with the table for Rega's reccomended overhang which is designed to minimize distortion at the innermost grooves. The GeoDisc uses Baerwalds formula for low distortion at two points and I find the sound superior with the GeoDisc. The GeoDisc costs about $50.00. It is always a good idea to recheck tracking force after you have adjusted the cartridge. Once you align and mount the cartridge and adjust tracking force you will have it ready. The Rega instructions will get the table up and playing and my suggestions are fine tuning that you may want to do later.

The table has fixed cables and the only way to change them is to rewire the tonearm. The basic cables are fine and the main reason I rewired my tonearm is because I broke one of the cartridge clips. There was an improvement but not night and day. The stock table is very good and will bring you years of pleasure.

JohnMichael
01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Doug here are two places for free cartridge and turntable set-up info. www.needledoctor.com and click on their info link and you will find a link for ttable and cart set-up. Also look at www.turntablebasics.com and go to their advice page. Both of these should help give you more information.

dean_martin
01-24-2006, 06:57 PM

Doug

Congrats, Sweet! I'm sure you did the right thing by climbing out of the muck that is the $300 price range, even if you have to eat canned tuna for a while.

Waitin' on UPS can be a scary ordeal. My old address had the same street number as the local high school two blocks up. UPS delivered my first dvd player to that jungle! I'm lucky I got it back.

emorphien
02-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Damn I was almost thinking of getting the P2 but if it doesn't include a cartridge that might be stretching me too far. Even if it came with a crappy one as least I'd be able to get started and replace it later.

emorphien
03-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Seems music direct is out of P2s.