Annual Mystery Disk Group Review CD-R Trade Thing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Annual Mystery Disk Group Review CD-R Trade Thing?

Davey
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Don't know if anybody is up for one of these things, but thought it might be kind of fun to send out a few copies of a recent pseudo mystery disc and do a group review. Many of you probably already know what it'll be, but I'll leave that out for now, and hope that you also avoid mentioning who you think it is in subsequent discussions until the reviews start. I've actually got 2 or 3 that I was thinking of so even though I've talked a little about each, it might still be a mystery for most people.

Anyway, I'd be up for sending out maybe 10 mysterious copies. Doesn't need to be that many, but that's probably about max. If you just want in on the group review and are confident you may like the disk enough to buy it now, just PM me and I'll tell you who it will be (within a couple days) and availability details.

Just post here that you want in and if need be PM me with your address. But there is implied in the offer an obligation to post your impressions of the disk along with everyone else once you've had time to absorb it. Good, bad or otherwise. Doesn't have to be a long-winded dissertation (although that's always cool). All in fun of course, but no holds barred :p

What was the last one we did? Was it the Hot Hot Heat? I know we tried to come up with another one after that but don't recall too much success. Or I guess we did do Manitoba after that. That was a good one with a lot of mixed reaction. I think chrisnz and I were the only ones that really liked it without reservations, so maybe saying "mixed reaction" is overstating the positive side, huh? Hehehe, oh well, someday it'll be looked back upon as a classic, you can count on that!

Slosh
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Don't know if anybody is up for one of these things, but thought it might be kind of fun to send out a few copies of a recent pseudo mystery disc and do a group review. Many of you probably already know what it'll be, but I'll leave that out for now, and hope that you also avoid mentioning who you think it is in subsequent discussions until the reviews start.I'm game and I'll even use full paragraphs when I post my two bits. Can't refuse that now, or can you? Plus it'll give you an excuse to send that Silver Jews disc along for the ride ;)

NP: SFA - Mwng

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2006, 02:51 PM
If you think that they'll let it over the border, I'd like to play. :)

Davey
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm game and I'll even use full paragraphs when I post my two bits. Can't refuse that now, or can you? Plus it'll give you an excuse to send that Silver Jews disc along for the ride ;)
A mystery bonus disk? Yeah, I'll throw a bonus disk in some of the packages. Or maybe I'll just send everyone a different mystery disk and see how the group review goes. That would be funny. People arguing back and forth, calling each other idiots and morons, not knowing there talking about different disks. Heehee, kind of like a normal music board :)

Davey
01-11-2006, 03:12 PM
If you think that they'll let it over the border, I'd like to play. :)
Yeah, I'll leave out the produce and pharmaceuticals this time. Vous ĂȘtes tout seul.

tentoze
01-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I'll give it a shot.

-Jar-
01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm game!

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I'll commit to diatribe. And perhaps even thinking before I write. Please, and thank you.

PS I have no idea who it is -- if you think I'd not be interested, or if I got it already, please feel free to PM or e-me (I've fixed my email to connect to my gmail account, to anyone who cares).

Ex Lion Tamer
01-11-2006, 07:16 PM
I'll give it the ol' college try, tough to say no to free music.

3-LockBox
01-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Just post here that you want in and if need be PM me with your address. But there is implied in the offer an obligation to post your impressions of the disk along with everyone else once you've had time to absorb it. Good, bad or otherwise. *Doesn't have to be a long-winded dissertation (although that's always cool).* All in fun of course, but no holds barred :p

*then what's the point?

In all seriouslessness, I'd like to try my hand. Its been a while...

:wince:

Davey
01-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I'll give it a shot.
Fired it lately?

I'm game!
Too bad the season's over

I'll commit to diatribe.
Can't say I didn't see it coming

I'll give it the ol' college try.
Better late that never

I'd like to try my hand. Its been a while...
Tell me about it

OK, enough call and response nonsense. Looks like we're only up to 7 so got you all covered, but Dusty expect a PM and 3-LockBuddy PM me your addy.

Mike
01-12-2006, 02:25 AM
I seem to remember Manitoba's Up In Flames left me cold last time but your usual choice selections rank pretty high in my books.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
01-12-2006, 05:16 AM
think I'm #9.

jc

Troy
01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
hit me!

Davey
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Room for one more?
Looks like some room between Jar and Dusty, but guess it depends how comfy you are squeezing in with 9 old men and 1 alleged woman.

think I'm #9.
Looks like those night classes are helping - soon you'll be able to count and compose a complete sentence

hit me!
Stand still for long enough after posting your scathing mystery review and I might

Oops, didn't I promise no more bad one liners. I lied. Any more? Is this a quorum? Guess so. I'll get em out early next week and we'll see what happens. Probably be a couple weeks after that before they all land but post comments whenever ready and we'll just keep bumping the thread back to life.

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Vous ĂȘtes tout seul.

I am? :(

Davey
01-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I am? :(
You take issue with that but not the "alleged woman" comment? Hehehe, I'm not fluent in French and the subtle differences in meaning phrases can have when translated back and forth, but it was meant to say "you're on your own", in relation to me leaving out the produce and pharmaceuticals this time (silly joke about border embargos and orange stickers and all that). Which simply means you'll have to supply your own. But plugging it into bablefish I see it probably really means "you are all alone", which I assume is what you think too. Subtle, yet significant difference in English. So ... pardon my French ;)

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2006, 05:08 PM
You take issue with that but not the "alleged woman" comment?

Nah, I've been called worse. Besides, I was just happy that you didn't call me an old woman. :)

I guess that means that I shouldn't expect any yummy California oranges in the mail. They're one of my favourite foods this time of year. Like sunshine in my tummy. :D

Dusty Chalk
01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
...Dusty expect a PM...drums fingers

Davey
01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry for the delay but this little project got derailed for a bit. But I do have the stuff ready to go out and should be hitting the post office tomorrow morning. Everybody that signed up will get a copy of the #1 mystery disc, and everybody will get a bonus mystery disc too, mainly labelled either #2 or #3. Couple people get something different. Just for fun. No real obligation, but all comments welcome and appreciated.

That's all. Just an update from the front.

Davey
03-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Wow, almost 2 months later they finally got mailed. Like I always say, whaddaya expect for free? It's been so long that I can't even remember which albums they were, so it'll all be a mystery to me too ;)

But be forewarned, if you really want to listen to any of the discs with the mystery intact, I didn't change the play times so CDDB or freedb or the WMP db will probably pull up the details on your computer. Also, they were all burned with CD-TEXT so the disc title/artist/song titles are all there for display if you play them with something that supports CD-TEXT.

Have fun and don't worry about my not-so-fragile ego if you think the music is sucky beyond description (although you can still try to describe its suckiness for fun). You know by now that sucky music is the kind I like best, and you still signed up ;)