The Painted Stallion and Zorro Rides Again(1937) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Painted Stallion and Zorro Rides Again(1937)

kelsci
01-11-2006, 05:23 AM
I recently purchased these DVDs on these two Republic serials from 1937.

The Painted Stallion appears on dvds on a few different labels. This is a two disc set from Madacy. This is IMO a great Republic serial. Unfortunately, there is a lot to be desired on the discs. The print is faded and unsharp. It is barely watchable. The two channel audio is blary particulaly the dialogue. It is annoying to listen too. I have 11 of the 12 chapters recorded on video tape from a PBS station that I made 5 years ago. The broadcasted audio was fine and the picture though sort of faded was at least sharp. I cannot recommend the film on this label on this disc.

Zorro Rides Again is also on a few different labels. This label is Troma Team Video under the Roan Group. The package states the film is digitally mastered from the finest elements. The picture is somewhat faded and unsharp but is watchable. I own a Laserdisc version of this film. That version's picture quality is "gorgeous" for its time. One would not think that there was not good audio back in those days, but there was. This discs two channel mono dolby digital track is really quite excellent. Voices are clear and sound like they were recorded yesterday. Bass response is excellent. If you like Republic's musical score in their serials, the music on this disc sounds great. The audio level is consistent through all of the chapters. The reason why I say this is that on the laser disc edition, the audio level did vary through the first 6 chapters and was consistent on the last 6 chapters. The whole serial is on one disc. I can only conditionally recommend the disc; it should have had better picture quality.

Worf101
01-11-2006, 06:33 AM
I recently purchased these DVDs on these two Republic serials from 1937.

The Painted Stallion appears on dvds on a few different labels. This is a two disc set from Madacy. This is IMO a great Republic serial. Unfortunately, there is a lot to be desired on the discs. The print is faded and unsharp. It is barely watchable. The two channel audio is blary particulaly the dialogue. It is annoying to listen too. I have 11 of the 12 chapters recorded on video tape from a PBS station that I made 5 years ago. The broadcasted audio was fine and the picture though sort of faded was at least sharp. I cannot recommend the film on this label on this disc.

Zorro Rides Again is also on a few different labels. This label is Troma Team Video under the Roan Group. The package states the film is digitally mastered from the finest elements. The picture is somewhat faded and unsharp but is watchable. I own a Laserdisc version of this film. That version's picture quality is "gorgeous" for its time. One would not think that there was not good audio back in those days, but there was. This discs two channel mono dolby digital track is really quite excellent. Voices are clear and sound like they were recorded yesterday. Bass response is excellent. If you like Republic's musical score in their serials, the music on this disc sounds great. The audio level is consistent through all of the chapters. The reason why I say this is that on the laser disc edition, the audio level did vary through the first 6 chapters and was consistent on the last 6 chapters. The whole serial is on one disc. I can only conditionally recommend the disc; it should have had better picture quality.

I grew up on Serials... not in the theatres obviously I'm not THAT old, but on after school T.V. I'd be interested to know what you thought of the remastering of the great serials, Buck Rodgers, Flash Gordon, etc... and which brands were/are the best to purchase..

Thanks in advance...

Da Worfster :cool:

kelsci
01-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Hi Worfster; I watched serials on tv too during the 1950s and 1960s. The FLASH series is my favorite though I never have bought the box set available from Image. I have read favorable reports on it. Some other labels are reproducing some of the FLASH serials but I have no idea how good their source prints are.

I have the laserdisc of ZORRO RIDES AGAIN in front of me as I type this letter to you. It was produced by Republic Picture Home Video. The back cover states DIGITALLY PROCESSED. I know that Republic merged with Spelling who in turn merged with Telepictures which I think belongs to Warner Bros. I have not scene any Republic serieal dvds manufactured under the Republic Pictures Label. Under this laserdisc label, there were quite a few Republic serials reproduced. The only other one that I have is DARKEST AFRICA with Clyde Beatty. Its picture quality is excellent for 1936; its' sound quality is not full of fidelity but it is clean.

I will be most happy to keep you abreast of any other films of this genre that I stumble over and/or purchase of their audio and picture quality on dvd. If I had the picture quality of the laserdisc and the sound quality of the dvd of ZORRO RIDES AGAIN on both THE PAINTED STALLION and ZORRO RIDES AGAIN dvds that I acquired, it would have been a terrific collectors item to view and watch.