Newton MC400 & MC500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newton MC400 & MC500

hmmmm
01-17-2004, 10:37 AM
I was curious to know if anyone has the CSW Newton series MC400 or MC500. I currently have 3 MC300 across the front of my home theater system and 3 of their surrounds in a 6.1 setup with a Hsu VTF-2 Subwoofer. I'm starting to listen to a lot of music (mainly Jazz) and the MC300's sound great for home theater but really drop off around 110hz. I was considering upgrading the left and right front speaker. I don't feel like changing my entire system so I thought sticking with Cambridge because they are all timbre matched. Any suggestions?

Geoffcin
01-17-2004, 11:14 AM
I was curious to know if anyone has the CSW Newton series MC400 or MC500. I currently have 3 MC300 across the front of my home theater system and 3 of their surrounds in a 6.1 setup with a Hsu VTF-2 Subwoofer. I'm starting to listen to a lot of music (mainly Jazz) and the MC300's sound great for home theater but really drop off around 110hz. I was considering upgrading the left and right front speaker. I don't feel like changing my entire system so I thought sticking with Cambridge because they are all timbre matched. Any suggestions?

Hi, and YES, I have a MC500 in my HT setup. The MC500 is much bigger than the MC300, and goes down to about 50hz or so. I have it set to large, and it works very well in my HT. I would recommend it without reservation for your mains, as long as you have a sub.

The other option you have is to get the M80's for your mains. They will be prettier with their real wood veneer , and also be able to play down to 40hz or so.

I could go either way, but I really like my MC500, a speaker that pretty much kicks ass on any other center under $500.

hmmmm
01-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I checked out the M80's and that sounds like a great deal. I need something that can be mounted to my wall like the MC300s. I have a 5 year old and her friends run around like mad men so I'm afraid speakers on stands might get knocked over. I guess the M80's are rear ported. I know the MC500's are acoustic suspension. Do you think that would be better than the m80's up against the wall?

Geoffcin
01-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the input. I checked out the M80's and that sounds like a great deal. I need something that can be mounted to my wall like the MC300s. I have a 5 year old and her friends run around like mad men so I'm afraid speakers on stands might get knocked over. I guess the M80's are rear ported. I know the MC500's are acoustic suspension. Do you think that would be better than the m80's up against the wall?

Wall mounted the MC500 is your only choice. The good news is that it's a GREAT choice, and your going to love them. The additional bass and dynamic punch that the two 6.5" midbass drivers add is very striking. My HT system can play to an amazing SPL with no hint of distortion, and the MC500 center is a big part of that. Also, there's virtually no listening fatigue, even after a 3hr movie. IMHO that's something that is a MUST for HT.

hmmmm
01-19-2004, 06:56 AM
I just got an e-mail from CSW and they said that the MC400 and 500 are way too big to mount on a wall. They said that the MC300 should be great down to about 80hz. I messed with the phase control and it helped a little. I might take take the risk with speaker stands and just move them when the "kids" are over. Now, to find a good stand that goes high enough for my purposes!

CaptainPurple
01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I just got an e-mail from CSW and they said that the MC400 and 500 are way too big to mount on a wall. They said that the MC300 should be great down to about 80hz. I messed with the phase control and it helped a little. I might take take the risk with speaker stands and just move them when the "kids" are over. Now, to find a good stand that goes high enough for my purposes!

I'm bumping this bcos it speaks directly to a :confused: I've had in researching speakers. I'm by no means an audiophile, but like my music to sound good. I'm trying to pick a new HT speaker system and am considering ETL, CSW Newton and Aperion.

So what does it mean when one says a speaker "drops off at 100hz"? I have no idea what 100hz sounds like, but wouldn't a sub pick up at that point? From purity standpoint, do true audiophiles want music from two speakers, sans sub?

Thanks for the education!

Geoffcin
01-26-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm bumping this bcos it speaks directly to a :confused: I've had in researching speakers. I'm by no means an audiophile, but like my music to sound good. I'm trying to pick a new HT speaker system and am considering ETL, CSW Newton and Aperion.

So what does it mean when one says a speaker "drops off at 100hz"? I have no idea what 100hz sounds like, but wouldn't a sub pick up at that point? From purity standpoint, do true audiophiles want music from two speakers, sans sub?

Thanks for the education!

It's a good thing your doing a research. It will help you a lot with your decision.

"Drop off" is the point where the speaker starts to have reduced output. A speaker that drops off @ 100hz will have very limited low bass. Usually the larger (and more expensive) the speaker, the lower the bass drop off. A speaker capable of ~30hz or so will be considered by many to be a "full range" speaker, and a sub will be optional.

Most 5.1 systems rely on a sub because the main speakers are not full range. I feel a "full range" speaker is better for audio, but many other people feel perfectly fine with a sat-sub system. I have both, and enjoy them.

I think you'll be fine with whatever speakers you go with. I will tell you though that none of the other manufacturers that you are considering makes a speaker like the CSW T500. If you go with this speaker you will not need a sub at all!

hmmmm
02-07-2004, 08:36 AM
I could go either way, but I really like my MC500, a speaker that pretty much kicks ass on any other center under $500.[/QUOTE]

Well, I finally got my MC500. This thing is huge! It sits on my 47" projection t.v. and the wife hates it. I had the dimensions but I still didn't picture it being so big. Oh, well. I told her that it's in the "man room" so she left me alone:) We could always get a bigger t.v. so it looks smaller.
It sounds great. I still have the mc300s as the right and left front and am using the Hsu vtf-2. I'll upgrade those later but for the moment I'm thrilled with the sound. Thanks for the input!