New Reciever Onkyo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Reciever Onkyo?

nick53
01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Considering Onkyo 703 and mostly music and some HT. Is this a perferred reciever and is thx any big deal? Should I consider Denon or Yamaha instead? Thanks

L.J.
01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
I would consider all the names you mentioned. You can also add Marantz, Pioneer Elite and HK to the list. I wouldn't let THX be my deciding factor in purchasing a unit. But you should decide that for yourself. Here's some info (http://www.thx.com/mod/products/hometheater.html) on THX certification.

Eric Z
01-11-2006, 06:49 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a receiver from Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha. As LJ wrote, Pioneer, Marantz, and HK are good options, too. I prefer Yamaha and own 2- I really like the quality builds and ease of use (that can also be because I'm very familiar with them). I asked my local store which receiver they get the least amount of returns on because of a faulty product (they do repairs within the store and have a great return policy)- they said Yamaha is to least returned receiver followed by Denon, Pioneer, and then Sony (they do not carry other receivers).

Like I mentioned earlier, you can't go wrong with the receivers listed- pick one that matches your needs the most and go with it. Also, be flexible between the brands since they all do pretty much the same thing.

Enjoy and let us know what you decide and how you like it.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 07:31 AM
All of the above are good products.

L.J.
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
All of the above are good products.

Well according to a few threads I've read. Yamaha is good for HT ONLY. Musically, it's just not any good :rolleyes:

GMichael
01-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Well according to a few threads I've read. Yamaha is good for HT ONLY. Musically, it's just not any good :rolleyes:

Now now, let's not confuse the new people with bogus info.

OK, if you want to spend $40,000 on a sound system, Yamaha won't be as good. But then again neither would the Onkyo, Denon, etc.....

L.J.
01-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Now now, let's not confuse the new people with bogus info.

Your right, I'll stop. Sorry Nick, kind of a inside joke. Yamaha makes fine products.

GM,
$40,000? Not I. I can think of better uses for that kind of money. Maybe a new sound system and an entire room to go around it. Let me break in my Energy's before we start talking about upgrading. I've only had em for about 6 months. I'll let you know when I'm ready for you to give me that loan.

kexodusc
01-11-2006, 08:14 AM
That's the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Probably made by a Denon fan (even if I don't know the details of this inside joke).

If a receiver is good for one it has to be good for the other. If it makes sound accurately, it does so regardless of the source. Is that to say Yamaha would make better receivers for DVD-A and SACD hi-rez multichannel music? I doubt it.

Same goes vice-versa. If the alternative to Yamaha was evidently better for music, the traits that make it so would also make it better for home theater.

Nonesense. All one has to do is listen for themselves...if you don't like a particular brand, fine, someone probably doesn't like yours.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 08:25 AM
That's the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Probably made by a Denon fan (even if I don't know the details of this inside joke).

If a receiver is good for one it has to be good for the other. If it makes sound accurately, it does so regardless of the source. Is that to say Yamaha would make better receivers for DVD-A and SACD hi-rez multichannel music? I doubt it.

Same goes vice-versa. If the alternative to Yamaha was evidently better for music, the traits that make it so would also make it better for home theater.

Nonesense. All one has to do is listen for themselves...if you don't like a particular brand, fine, someone probably doesn't like yours.

Hey Kex,

A couple of months ago we had someone spouting "Yamahas have no base." LJ knows it's bogus. He just remembers how steamed it got me back then. And I don't get steamed very often.

On a side note, You gave them almost the exact same answer back then as you gave now. Surprised you don't recall.

L.J.
01-11-2006, 08:50 AM

Whoa, Kex! Did I push a button or what :) . I was just picking at GM, from a past thread that got em all fired up. LOL. I wouldn't call myself a Denon fan. I auditioned plenty of products before going with Denon. I had a hard time deciding between the Onkyo 703, HK 635 and my 2805. DVD wise, I auditioned the HK DVD22 and had 3 Samsung 841's :( and peeped out a Onkyo before going with the 2910. It just so happens that these products meet my needs and I was happy with the performance. Surely, you don't believe I was serious about my Yamaha staement.

Eric Z
01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
isn't it true though? yamaha receivers don't have good bass? :D haha- just kidding. i remember that thread- he was confident as well it was the receiver- i think you guys got him on the right track- we all learn differently :)

L.J.
01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
isn't it true though? yamaha receivers don't have good bass? :D haha- just kidding. i remember that thread- he was confident as well it was the receiver- i think you guys got him on the right track- we all learn differently :)

ooooohhhhhh, I remember those threads. Hmm, what did I do with those, let's see. O here's one (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=114127&postcount=14). Wait, there's the other one (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=13954). :D

dennykyser
01-11-2006, 10:03 AM
After a lot of looking I am planning on buying the same reciever. The Onkyo 703 seems to be a great reciever.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 10:07 AM
ooooohhhhhh, I remember those threads. Hmm, what did I do with those, let's see. O here's one (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=114127&postcount=14). Wait, there's the other one (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=13954). :D

Oh sure, a walk down memory lane to rile me up huh?

kexodusc
01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
LJ -
I knew it wasn't you who said that...I hear lots of dumb statements about Denons or Yamahas from people who own the opposite brand. I find them very similar in sound, but very different in interface and features.

GM - I have a habbit of repeating myself I guess :D

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember that guy....

GMichael
01-11-2006, 10:44 AM
LJ -
I knew it wasn't you who said that...I hear lots of dumb statements about Denons or Yamahas from people who own the opposite brand. I find them very similar in sound, but very different in interface and features.

GM - I have a habbit of repeating myself I guess :D

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember that guy....

Did you look at the second link that LJ listed above? It looks like I wasn't the only one annoyed that day.

Nothing wrong with repeating the truth.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 10:48 AM
After a lot of looking I am planning on buying the same reciever. The Onkyo 703 seems to be a great reciever.

I listened to one for about an hour driving two Infinity Primus 250's. It sounded very good to me.

L.J.
01-11-2006, 11:01 AM
I listened to one for about an hour driving two Infinity Primus 250's. It sounded very good to me.

How do you like your Infinity's GM? I've been meaning to ask you that. I auditioned a pair at home for about two weeks. I ended up getting some Vega's though :rolleyes: . This was about 4 years ago. Nothing wrong with the Infinitiy's, I just wanted to blast the hell out of my music and the Vega's were perfect for that.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 11:09 AM
How do you like your Infinity's GM? I've been meaning to ask you that. I auditioned a pair at home for about two weeks. I ended up getting some Vega's though :rolleyes: . This was about 4 years ago. Nothing wrong with the Infinitiy's, I just wanted to blast the hell out of my music and the Vega's were perfect for that.

I love mine. They sound very clear like the band is in the room with me. The 360's claim 93db sensitivity. Stereophile magazine did a write up on them last June and said they tested at 91.5db. They had many nice things to say about them, including that they are as good or better than many $1k+ speakers.
I've had them LOUD AS H.LL! They still sound great with no break up or distortion. Imaging is great. I can't say enough good things about them. But they do need a sub for the low lows. No problem, I have one.

L.J.
01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I love mine. They sound very clear like the band is in the room with me. The 360's claim 93db sensitivity. Stereophile magazine did a write up on them last June and said they tested at 91.5db. They had many nice things to say about them, including that they are as good or better than many $1k+ speakers.
I've had them LOUD AS H.LL! They still sound great with no break up or distortion. Imaging is great. I can't say enough good things about them. But they do need a sub for the low lows. No problem, I have one.

Vega's got 12" woofers and I was running em in a second room with no sub. Yes, I remember the Infinity's being very clear and clean. I just wanted more bass at the time in that second room. I still blast my Vega's, but I'm starting to prefer quality over quantity.