Powering a Front Projector [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Powering a Front Projector

halls1030
01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on how to best hook up my Epson Powerlite Cinema 550 Front Projector and whether or not I can run an extension cord to power it....See below:

I have the projector ceiling mounted roughly 16' from a 106" diagonal screen with a ceiling mounted wall jack to plug into which would of course be the easy way to hook it up. My dilemma is the following...I have a Monster Power Center that I have all my audio/video components running through for "clean power". All the components are hidden in the entertainment center up by the screen. I installed 2" PVC conduit that I run my component cables and HDMI cables through. I was wondering if it would be better to run a 25 foot extension cord through the conduit to the monster power center than to simply plug into the ceiling outlet next to the projector? What about if I use a heavy duty extension cord, one that would normally be used to run power tools....bad idea???

Thanks in adavance for any help anyone can shed.

edtyct
01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I've used a heavy cord for similar purposes. Just make sure that it has the proper gauge and wattage rating for the projector at that distance. Any UL extension cord worth its salt will tell you its rating for a given distance. This strategy is probably preferable to leaving the projector unprotected against surges and spikes.

GMichael
01-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Hmm... yet something else I forgot to think about.

Thanks

halls1030
01-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Bumping...hoping to get more help on this...

Projector says the following: Power consumption: Operating 245W (100 to 120V), 240W (200 to 240V) So it looks like the max wattage used is 240 watts.

The power cord I have is a 25ft, 14 gauge, 15 amp - 125V and it says 1875 maximum watts, insulated for 300V. It is listed as a medium duty power cord used for drill presses, routers, and chain saws...I bought in at the local Home Depot home store...

With my component and HDMI fished through the 2" conduit I don't thin there will be enough room to run this through - so I am thinking I am going to duct tape it along the outside of the PVC conduit.....

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on this....

Drywallers come tomorrow - and the ceiling will be drywall as well...so this has to be done today...

Hope I can get some input from some of you guys.