Quality DVD players w/ HDMI output < $150??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quality DVD players w/ HDMI output < $150???

BadAssJazz
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm looking for a DVD player with excellent picture quality for less than $150. Any recommendations? Am I kidding myself?? Should I just go ahead and get the Denon 1920?

dennykyser
01-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I just purchased a Hitachi DVD with HDMI from Rex and am happy with it.

edtyct
01-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Toshiba SD5980 and Sony DVPNS70 both have HDMI and cost less than $150. You could always take a little trip to the AVS DVD forum to see whether they have any nagging issues associated with them.

paul_pci
01-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I just bought a Toshiba 4980 for my father for $100 @ Best Buy and it has an HDMI output that purports upscaling to 1080i. I've watched 2 or 3 movies on it so far and it seems like a good player. Settings menu is bare bones, but life goes on.

Woochifer
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
The Panasonics have also consistently scored very high on the hometheaterhifi site's benchmark tests. They too have a player in the $100 range with HDMI output.

The advantage that I know about with that Denon 1920 is that it's HDMI 1.1 compliant (not sure about any of the others). This means that the player can output a digital signal with DVD-A discs, provided that the processor/receiver is also HDMI 1.1 compliant. For those of us who've been frustrated with the quirky/nonexistent bass management and other settings that don't match well with how our receiver/processor is setup, HDMI 1.1 could have saved us plenty of headaches by being able to send a digital audio signal to the receiver/processor and let that unit handle the bass management and audio calibrations just as it does with all other formats.

BadAssJazz
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
The Panasonics have also consistently scored very high on the hometheaterhifi site's benchmark tests. They too have a player in the $100 range with HDMI output.

The advantage that I know about with that Denon 1920 is that it's HDMI 1.1 compliant (not sure about any of the others). This means that the player can output a digital signal with DVD-A discs, provided that the processor/receiver is also HDMI 1.1 compliant. For those of us who've been frustrated with the quirky/nonexistent bass management and other settings that don't match well with how our receiver/processor is setup, HDMI 1.1 could have saved us plenty of headaches by being able to send a digital audio signal to the receiver/processor and let that unit handle the bass management and audio calibrations just as it does with all other formats.

Thanks, Wooch.

It looks like 2006 is going to be the year of the upgrade for me.

halls1030
01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
I think this is an easy one...do some research on the Oppo Digital DVD. It's $199 but does not have the HDMI output you state you are looking for...it has DVI out instead (and comes with the DVI cord included...I bought one myself after seeing it was bascially reviewed as the best DVD player out there other than the $1500 Denon that rates as tops. Picture quality is awesome it also is one of the few players out there that is capable of upcoverting (and doing it well!) if you are running the DVD on a HD picture. It's internal parts are what seperate it from the others thats where the money is put....Regardless, it's reviewed all over the HT message board. I know Home Theatre Secrets rated it best budget DVD...just off the top of my head.

Hope this helps...

BadAssJazz
01-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I think this is an easy one...do some research on the Oppo Digital DVD. It's $199 but does not have the HDMI output you state you are looking for...it has DVI out instead (and comes with the DVI cord included...I bought one myself after seeing it was bascially reviewed as the best DVD player out there other than the $1500 Denon that rates as tops. Picture quality is awesome it also is one of the few players out there that is capable of upcoverting (and doing it well!) if you are running the DVD on a HD picture. It's internal parts are what seperate it from the others thats where the money is put....Regardless, it's reviewed all over the HT message board. I know Home Theatre Secrets rated it best budget DVD...just off the top of my head.

Hope this helps...

Yep, I read up on the Oppo and the only reason why it's not up for consideration is because it lacks the HDMI output and it's not readily available. My plasma arrives tomorrow, so I'll probably just swing by CC and grab either the Sony or a Samsung player. Just want to see if the hype is true. Just the thought of having only one cable is enough for me.

L.J.
01-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Yep, I read up on the Oppo and the only reason why it's not up for consideration is because it lacks the HDMI output and it's not readily available. My plasma arrives tomorrow, so I'll probably just swing by CC and grab either the Sony or a Samsung player. Just want to see if the hype is true. Just the thought of having only one cable is enough for me.

Hopefully Samsung has made some improvements. I had 3 Samsung 841's last year before finally giving up on em.

BadAssJazz
01-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Samsung has made some improvements. I had 3 Samsung 841's last year before finally giving up on em.

I've read a few reviews on the Samsung and decided against. BB and CC were both out of the Sony, so I'm going to check online deals for the Denon. I'm in no rush at the moment. I've set up the EDTV with component cables for now and I can't say enough how impressed I am with the picture. And the HDTV signal even on the EDTV (watching the NFL playoffs) has me giggling like a little girl. Awesome picture!!!

L.J.
01-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I've read a few reviews on the Samsung and decided against. BB and CC were both out of the Sony, so I'm going to check online deals for the Denon. I'm in no rush at the moment. I've set up the EDTV with component cables for now and I can't say enough how impressed I am with the picture. And the HDTV signal even on the EDTV (watching the NFL playoffs) has me giggling like a little girl. Awesome picture!!!

You're right! 480p is not HD, but it sure is a flawless picture. I'm glad you're happy with your system. Just in time for the playoff too. :)

westcott
01-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm looking for a DVD player with excellent picture quality for less than $150. Any recommendations? Am I kidding myself?? Should I just go ahead and get the Denon 1920?
The Panasonic 77 and 97 models are HDMI and get high marks, as well.

rayj1974
01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I have the Toshiba SD - 4980SU from BB and I like it. I have not been into this whole HDTV scene long at all. I have a Hitachi 60" that I bought and I am on the way to upgrading everything.

BadAssJazz
01-19-2006, 08:31 PM
The Panasonic 77 and 97 models are HDMI and get high marks, as well.

I just found out that Wal Mart of all places carries the Panasonic DVD players. Guess I'll swing by there on the way home tomorrow.

westcott
01-19-2006, 08:31 PM
I just found out that Wal Mart of all places carries the Panasonic DVD players. Guess I'll swing by there on the way home tomorrow.

Let us know what they are asking for them respectively.

I would be curious to know.

Good Luck!