Frustrated with Harman Kardon! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Harman Kardon!

bjornb17
01-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm starting to get irritated by all the problems that my Harman Kardon products have. Let me first state what i have:

Harman Kardon AVR130
HK DVD22
HK FL8385

My FL8385 just crapped out on me for the 4th time and now its going back in for service. I watched in amusement yesterday as the CD tray for no reason, popped out, spun around once, went back in, and just keep going in circles until i turned it off.

The DVD22 worked great at first, but then developed a problem in which the analog audio jacks died. I got it fixed, problem came back, and got it swapped for a new one. Now the DVD player locks up every couple of days and the only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in.

The AVR130 works pretty good for the most part, but it takes about 2 seconds to lock on to the audio format. This is especially annoying in DVD menus because it misses half of the sound effects when going from menu to menu. Also, after a new DVD menu finishes loading, it will an annoying noise that sounds like the last second of the last sound played.

I'm thinking about getting them all replaced by HK, and then sell them on ebay.

The only problem is that I will need to buy all new components (from another brand). Any suggestions with what i should get?

GMichael
01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm starting to get irritated by all the problems that my Harman Kardon products have. Let me first state what i have:

Harman Kardon AVR130
HK DVD22
HK FL8385

My FL8385 just crapped out on me for the 4th time and now its going back in for service. I watched in amusement yesterday as the CD tray for no reason, popped out, spun around once, went back in, and just keep going in circles until i turned it off.

The DVD22 worked great at first, but then developed a problem in which the analog audio jacks died. I got it fixed, problem came back, and got it swapped for a new one. Now the DVD player locks up every couple of days and the only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in.

The AVR130 works pretty good for the most part, but it takes about 2 seconds to lock on to the audio format. This is especially annoying in DVD menus because it misses half of the sound effects when going from menu to menu. Also, after a new DVD menu finishes loading, it will an annoying noise that sounds like the last second of the last sound played.

I'm thinking about getting them all replaced by HK, and then sell them on ebay.

The only problem is that I will need to buy all new components (from another brand). Any suggestions with what i should get?

Sorry to hear about your HK blues. Hope it all works out in the end.

bjornb17
01-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your HK blues. Hope it all works out in the end.

Thanks. The warranties on all three items run out this July. I'd hate to have an expensive pile of plastic and metal sitting on my shelf if these problems persist. Their customer service has been very good to me though. I just emailed them and asked if they would provide warranty service past the warranty period given the reliability issues. I'll let you know what happens :)

GMichael
01-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks. The warranties on all three items run out this July. I'd hate to have an expensive pile of plastic and metal sitting on my shelf if these problems persist. Their customer service has been very good to me though. I just emailed them and asked if they would provide warranty service past the warranty period given the reliability issues. I'll let you know what happens :)

I was looking at getting an HK receiver last winter before I picked up my Yamaha. I heard rumors of QC issues so I stayed away from them. I don't know how true the rumors were but I opted for a manufacture who was rumored to have the fewest returns.
You just never know what's perception and what's fact. I just play the odds and roll the dice.

kexodusc
01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
It's unfortunate you're having such a hard time. My old H/K stereo receiver was built like a tank. I ended up frying it in college once (got it fixed though).
I can't help but wonder if there could possibly be some climate condition in your area, electrical or otherwise that's causing these issues? H/K isn't perfect, but this the worst case of brand let down I've heard of. 3 separate units, all at the same time having multiple issues.

I've owned a lot of makes, and have yet to find the perfect brand in audio electronics. For my money, Yamaha makes very durable stuff. Not always everyone's cup of tea sound/performance wise though. But I've even had problems with a Yamaha unit, so they're not perfect either.

I was a Marantz man until my last unit crapped out. I've never owned a Denon, so maybe they're up next, but it seems every 3 years they go through a rough cycle quality wise.

Everyone has their turn I guess. Not that this is much consolation to you. Look on the bright side, you've got an excuse to go shopping again.

paul_pci
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Yabba Dabba Dio for Yamaha!

EdwardGein
01-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I Have the Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player, 2 of them in fact. I probably should have gotten extended warranties for them based on your post because the first one which worked & sounded great, broke down after around 10 months but Harmon Kardon replaced for free.

I'm beginning to think all DVD players/recorders have limited life as my Lite On 5001 DVD recorder twice broke down- I was covered by my extended warranty & my computer external DVD burner broke down as well & was replaced for free. I keep hearing that lasers wear down. It might not be Harmon Kardon in regards to the DVD player, it might just be the DVD player itself.

L.J.
01-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Great! I had my brother purchase a HK DVD22 for his system about 6 months ago. I hope he doesn't run into any problems :eek: . I had actually considered that unit for myself, but ended going with the 2910.

GMichael
01-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Great! I had my brother purchase a HK DVD22 for his system about 6 months ago. I hope he doesn't run into any problems :eek: . I had actually considered that unit for myself, but ended going with the 2910.

And I bought a JVC DVR that has very bad reveiws and it works great, (so far, knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder).

D.m! Now I know it will break.

bjornb17
01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
In each instance, though, HK has payed for shipping both ways and had a replacement unit sent to me within a week. I think they're losing money on me though LOL. (not my fault though)

GMichael
01-10-2006, 02:07 PM
In each instance, though, HK has payed for shipping both ways and had a replacement unit sent to me within a week. I think they're losing money on me though LOL. (not my fault though)

At least they are taking care of you. That's cool.

When my Sony TV started blinking, I gave them a call. They said that they had never heard of such a problem. But If I were to box it up and ship it to them they would take a look at it. $150 to open the box plus $75.00 per hour labor, plus parts. Uhg! So I called CC where I had bought it 3 years earlier. The guy said that this happens to this model all the time. The guy drove to me, changed a part and only charged me $50 total. All fixed. 2 years later it did it again.
Thank you Sony.

GMichael
01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Sony has gone from being a great company to being a big stinking pile of poop. I had a sony CD changer, which worked okay. But when i found out that I was at the end of the 90 day warranty (90 days???) i boxed it up and sold it on ebay the next day. I was motivated to do this after reading complaints about sony's customer support.

Although HK's disc players seem to be a little flaky, atleat i have something to fall back on

It worked OK? Weren't taking any chances huh?

bjornb17
01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
At least they are taking care of you. That's cool.

When my Sony TV started blinking, I gave them a call. They said that they had never heard of such a problem. But If I were to box it up and ship it to them they would take a look at it. $150 to open the box plus $75.00 per hour labor, plus parts. Uhg! So I called CC where I had bought it 3 years earlier. The guy said that this happens to this model all the time. The guy drove to me, changed a part and only charged me $50 total. All fixed. 2 years later it did it again.
Thank you Sony.

Sony has gone from being a great company to being a big stinking pile of poop. I had a sony CD changer, which worked okay. But when i found out that I was at the end of the 90 day warranty (90 days???) i boxed it up and sold it on ebay the next day. I was motivated to do this after reading complaints about sony's customer support.

Although HK's disc players seem to be a little flaky, atleat i have something to fall back on

bjornb17
01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
It worked OK? Weren't taking any chances huh?

well there was nothing wrong with it but i didnt want to be stuck with a paperweight :) It's pretty rare for me to keep products beyond their waranty period (blame upgrade bug for that). Also compared to the FL8385 (when using analog jacks), the sound seemed a bit thin and stuffy.

bjornb17
01-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I just got an email back from Harman Kardon. They said that they've been having problems with some batches of these units, and they will continue to provide free warantee work or replacements for it for as long as i own it. That is good customer service :)

BTW, i'm getting a new (well, remanufactured anyway) AVR230 in the mail from them today. It is for my dad, but if i like it i might get one as well (so i can use the preouts for separate amps in the future).

GMichael
01-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I just got an email back from Harman Kardon. They said that they've been having problems with some batches of these units, and they will continue to provide free warantee work or replacements for it for as long as i own it. That is good customer service :)

BTW, i'm getting a new (well, remanufactured anyway) AVR230 in the mail from them today. It is for my dad, but if i like it i might get one as well (so i can use the preouts for separate amps in the future).

That is very cool. Not that they are having problems, but that they are taking care of them for you.

Eric Z
01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Great news about how HK is handling your situation! I always like to hear positive customer experiences.

I think electronics are a crapshoot these days- I never bought the extended warranty, but think about it more and more now when I buy something new- I still don't buy it, just think about it.

However, some extended warranties are pretty good these days. For example, I purchased a dig cam over Christmas and BB offered an extended warranty for $20 which covered everything for 3 years- even if I drop the darn thing- they said they would replace it if it can't be fixed. I still didn't get it- I better not drop it now :)

I've been fortunate with a lot of my electronics- I have a 7 year old Sony DVD player that works better than any of my other ones- unfortunately, it doesn't play other formats of CDs/DVDs. I think EG hit it on the head, DVD players just aren't made that well these days- something goofy happens inside after a year or so (as you can see, I'm not to technical with the guts of a DVD player :)).

bjornb17
01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
LOL you are totally right.

My dad has a Sony receiver that he bought right when got back from Vietnam... around 1969 or 1970, and it works perfectly. It can also play ear-bleedingly loud, even though its rated for only 10 WPC i think. It sounds much better than his Sony receiver that is only a couple years old (and is being replaced with the AVR230 today :))

Also, he has a Sony CD changer that he bought in the mid 90s right as CDs began to become mainstream, and it has had 0 issues. Same can be said for his tape deck which is about 25 years old. I've noticed that his older electronics tend to weigh a lot more too, i guess they were just built more ruggedly.

kexodusc
01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Some companies still build incredibly durable electronics, others choose to give up a bit of durability for features and performance. Everything costs money. I don't think any brand excels so much in one are over another compared to its competitors that it becomes the definitive brand for people looking for characterstic X.

Sooner or later everyone builds a lemon....the real test is in how they deal with their customers after. Looks like H/K is treating you right, and standing behind their product. Kudos to them.
You now have a lifetime warranty. Not bad.

bjornb17
01-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Some companies still build incredibly durable electronics, others choose to give up a bit of durability for features and performance. Everything costs money. I don't think any brand excels so much in one are over another compared to its competitors that it becomes the definitive brand for people looking for characterstic X.

Sooner or later everyone builds a lemon....the real test is in how they deal with their customers after. Looks like H/K is treating you right, and standing behind their product. Kudos to them.
You now have a lifetime warranty. Not bad.

Not bad at all :) I am really impressed that they're not trying to wiggle their way out like most other companies i've delt with. Its support like this that will make me go back and strongly consider them for my next audio upgrade.

i was thinking of getting an AVR230 with two monoblocks, but after looking on their website, a remanufactured AVR335 with the EZset automatic room EQ for $400 seems like a cost effective alternative. Do any of you know how well EZset works?

kexodusc
01-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Used EZset once when setting up a friend's HT. Seemed to work as well with delays and level setting as anything else. I dont' believe this unit has a built in Parametric EQ, or if that even matters to you.

bjornb17
01-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Used EZset once when setting up a friend's HT. Seemed to work as well with delays and level setting as anything else. I dont' believe this unit has a built in Parametric EQ, or if that even matters to you.

do you just push a button and let it calibrate itself? Does it also change bass and trebble, or just the overall volumes?

SlumpBuster
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
When my mother in law wanted a HT in her new construction house in 1994, I ordered for her all HK components with Sonance inwalls and Yamaha sub (She liked the look of those tall slim Yamahas). Those HKs are still going strong despite 12 years and one move. However, when I went to get a new receiver last summer, I got totally turned off by HKs because of that chinzy blue volume knob. "What the F?" I thought. It looks good, but it feels weak.

bjornb17
01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
When my mother in law wanted a HT in her new construction house in 1994, I ordered for her all HK components with Sonance inwalls and Yamaha sub (She liked the look of those tall slim Yamahas). Those HKs are still going strong despite 12 years and one move. However, when I went to get a new receiver last summer, I got totally turned off by HKs because of that chinzy blue volume knob. "What the F?" I thought. It looks good, but it feels weak.

I've realized that in heavily-used HK units (such as store demo models), the volume knob seems to be loose and worn down. I think i only used my volume knob once, because i use the remote all the time. There's really no need to touch anything on the receiver once it is all setup. Plus i wouldnt want to get fingerprints on the nice reflective facade.

Eric Z
01-12-2006, 06:31 AM
I have no experience with HK, but just think the receivers are trying to looks a little too futuristic- like it's from Mercury with the blue light around the volume knob. However, looks really don't matter too much to me since all of my equipment is behind glass doors and it's easy not to notice them too much. I've heard HK are overpriced- is that true?

bjornb17
01-12-2006, 06:51 AM
I have no experience with HK, but just think the receivers are trying to looks a little too futuristic- like it's from Mercury with the blue light around the volume knob. However, looks really don't matter too much to me since all of my equipment is behind glass doors and it's easy not to notice them too much. I've heard HK are overpriced- is that true?

If you go to the store to buy one brand new, they are pretty expensive. just go to harmanaudio.com and get them cheaper than you would buy a crappy receiver for :)

bjornb17
02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
i had sent off my HK FL8385 about a week ago and got the new one today. It doesnt work. It just stops playing and gets stuck. What IS up with these units???

EDIT: I've just been tinkering around with it for the last 30 minutes and now its functioning normally. Is it normal for CD player to need to get broken in? lol. This one is actually a brand new unit. I had originally bought a remanufactured but went through a couple of those so they sent me a new one.

kexodusc
02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Geez, you're still having problems with these things? Sorry to hear that. At least they're trying to be co-operative. Maybe next time something fails you should ask them to replace it with a competitor's brand that will actually endure regular usuage.
Everynow and then everyone makes a bad model, but it's awefully frustrating to the buyer. Good luck.

bjornb17
02-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Geez, you're still having problems with these things? Sorry to hear that. At least they're trying to be co-operative. Maybe next time something fails you should ask them to replace it with a competitor's brand that will actually endure regular usuage.
Everynow and then everyone makes a bad model, but it's awefully frustrating to the buyer. Good luck.

Last night my HK DVD22 died on me (again). This is totally unacceptable from them. 4 defective CD players and now the 2nd or 3rd (i've lost count) defective DVD player. I should have taken everyone's word when they said dont buy HK disc players.

Eric Z
02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Are you kidding me? I've never heard of such a line perform so poorly (or not perform at all). I think that would have been the last straw with me. What are you going to do? Request your money back directly from the place you bought it? Or maybe directly from HK? What about having them send you an upgrade free of charge. I would still be hesitant though with the poor quality you've already been experiencing!

Good luck with whatever route you choose!
Eric

bjornb17
02-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Are you kidding me? I've never heard of such a line perform so poorly (or not perform at all). I think that would have been the last straw with me. What are you going to do? Request your money back directly from the place you bought it? Or maybe directly from HK? What about having them send you an upgrade free of charge. I would still be hesitant though with the poor quality you've already been experiencing!

Good luck with whatever route you choose!
Eric

After they send me a new DVD22, i will probably list it and the FL8385 on ebay. The resale value for them is pretty decent so I won't have too much of a loss. I started another thread asking for recommendations for a new DVD player and CD changer :) Thanks for the support

GMichael
02-10-2006, 11:05 AM
After they send me a new DVD22, i will probably list it and the FL8385 on ebay. The resale value for them is pretty decent so I won't have too much of a loss. I started another thread asking for recommendations for a new DVD player and CD changer :) Thanks for the support

Sorry to hear about your continude problems Bjornb. It sounded lke HK was trying to take care of you, but I guess this model is a lemon. Good luck with your next unit.

Eric Z
02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Good idea about throwing it up on Ebay- I don't know what we would do without that site. So, staying away from HK now? Smart move.

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I went to circuit city to play with the onkyos but they didn't seem to be my cup of tea.

Anyway, i got a response back from H/K last night to ship the DVD player back (along with the usual shipping label). This morning they sent me another e-mail saying that they will send me one of their new DVD-27s to replace my DVD-22.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=DVD&prod=DVD%2027&sType=C

It looks very slick! I will report back to you on how it works. From the specs it seems to be a DVD-22 with a cosmetic upgrade, but i'll find out if thats true. I'm pleased with how H/K is handling this. I will give them another chance. :cool:

H/K is like that special girlfriend that annoys you but you like too much to break up with.

GMichael
02-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Good luck. Maybe the -27 is the -22 with the kinks worked out. Good luck with that girlfriend thing. Remember, nothing beats make-up s.x.

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Good luck. Maybe the -27 is the -22 with the kinks worked out. Good luck with that girlfriend thing. Remember, nothing beats make-up s.x.

hahaha, i wasn't talking about MY girlfriend.

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Sure you weren't. ;)

Last year she bought me speakers for valentines day and this year she bought me computer games. What's not to like :D

GMichael
02-15-2006, 08:18 AM
hahaha, i wasn't talking about MY girlfriend.

Sure you weren't. ;)

EdwardGein
02-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Really curious if you'll notice a difference in sound quality between the 22 & 27. While I've never heard the 22 & Harmon Kardon's people won't give me a straight answer in simple English, I'm convinced there will be a difference in sound quality when listening through an optical set up between the 22 & the 31 & assume there will also be a difference between the 27 & 22. I'm not talkng about DVD-A either. The other day, I hooked up the digital out on a Lite On DVD Recorder that I had to my Denon receiver. The Lite On Recorder was juiced up to play both PAL & NTSC DVD's. Anyway, I bought a set of PAL DVD's from an excellent 70's British Horror-Mystery TV Show called Thriller (Not Boris Karloff's Thriller), and played them on the Lite ON & they sounded fine. Just out of curiosity I tried to play the DVD's on my Harmon Kardon 31 System (which is only NTSC) & for some bizarre reason they played perfectly on them as well. Anyway, the sound from the Harmon Kardon 31 player, also connected by optical cable, was night and day better then that of the Lite On DVD recorder.
This TV series, even though it was recorded in the 70's, was apparently remixed for surround sound. Anyway, I'm curious if you will notice a difference between the two models. I urge anyone who spends over $100 on a DVD player or receiver to get an extended warranty as I think the lasers on all DVD players self destruct over a period of time.

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Really curious if you'll notice a difference in sound quality between the 22 & 27. While I've never heard the 22 & Harmon Kardon's people won't give me a straight answer in simple English, I'm convinced there will be a difference in sound quality when listening through an optical set up between the 22 & the 31 & assume there will also be a difference between the 27 & 22. I'm not talkng about DVD-A either. The other day, I hooked up the digital out on a Lite On DVD Recorder that I had to my Denon receiver. The Lite On Recorder was juiced up to play both PAL & NTSC DVD's. Anyway, I bought a set of PAL DVD's from an excellent 70's British Horror-Mystery TV Show called Thriller (Not Boris Karloff's Thriller), and played them on the Lite ON & they sounded fine. Just out of curiosity I tried to play the DVD's on my Harmon Kardon 31 System (which is only NTSC) & for some bizarre reason they played perfectly on them as well. Anyway, the sound from the Harmon Kardon 31 player, also connected by optical cable, was night and day better then that of the Lite On DVD recorder.
This TV series, even though it was recorded in the 70's, was apparently remixed for surround sound. Anyway, I'm curious if you will notice a difference between the two models. I urge anyone who spends over $100 on a DVD player or receiver to get an extended warranty as I think the lasers on all DVD players self destruct over a period of time.

Apparantly if you buy a H/K unit from an authorized dealer, they'll go out of their way to help you no matter what, as has happened in my case. I don't really see the value in buying $30-50 extended warranty on a $170 DVD player, because then its suddently a $220 DVD player :) In addition to that, i used to work at circuit city and i know that their warranty policies are crap as they are at most places.

Century L100
02-15-2006, 07:45 PM
This is a real interesting thread, since I'm debating about an HK vs. Yamaha stereo receiver (posted in the General Forum). Suddenly, I think I'm going for the Yamaha RX-497 even though the HK 3380 looks tempting and is priced less.

Sorry to hear about your HK troubles, but thanks for posting all your experiences; it helps the rest of us with our decisions.

EdwardGein
02-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Almost every DVD player I've had, will work perfectly and then at some point of time will, without any advance warning, fail to work because the laser is worn out or something. On some DVD player/recorders, unless you power the unit down, the laser is still being used!

The main point is while $150 or so may not seem to be such a great sum, if your happy with the unit & it breaks down after your warranty is used up, that's another $150 or so to spend.
I'd rather pay any extra $40 and be guaranteed that I can replace it for a period of 3 years. Again, I'm assuming from personal experience that all DVD players break down in less then 1 & a 1/2 years.

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
This is a real interesting thread, since I'm debating about an HK vs. Yamaha stereo receiver (posted in the General Forum). Suddenly, I think I'm going for the Yamaha RX-497 even though the HK 3380 looks tempting and is priced less.

Sorry to hear about your HK troubles, but thanks for posting all your experiences; it helps the rest of us with our decisions.

I still wouldn't have any problems recommending their receivers, which for the most part have worked very well (i own 3 HK receivers). :)

I give a big kudos to HK for really going out of their way to help me. Chances are they've lost a decent chunk of money by sending me so many FL8385s, yet they extended my warantee at no charge to keep me satisfied. This is especially true since i only paid $90 for it when i got it (can't really complain about price). Also, I am getting a newer model DVD player which retails for quite a bit more than i originally paid for my DVD22.

I am the type of person that likes to do business with a company that takes care of its customers, and so far HK has done pretty good.

Keeping that in mind, I am still boycotting a local little ceasers for taking an hour and a half to serve me one of their hot-n-ready pizzas which are supposed to be ready in 5 minutes. In addition to that they double charged me. :o

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Almost every DVD player I've had, will work perfectly and then at some point of time will, without any advance warning, fail to work because the laser is worn out or something. On some DVD player/recorders, unless you power the unit down, the laser is still being used!

The main point is while $150 or so may not seem to be such a great sum, if your happy with the unit & it breaks down after your warranty is used up, that's another $150 or so to spend.
I'd rather pay any extra $40 and be guaranteed that I can replace it for a period of 3 years. Again, I'm assuming from personal experience that all DVD players break down in less then 1 & a 1/2 years.

I guess i can definately see your point of view on this. I notice that I am always replacing optical drivers, whether its on a computer or for my audio setup, they have a fairly short lifespan. The good thing about DVD drives on the computer is that they only cost $15-$20. :)

Eric Z
02-15-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm glad to hear HK is taking care of you- a couple DVD players and some shipping costs is a drop in a bucket for them; however, I know many other companies that wouldn't return calls/e-mails, so kudos to HK. Hopefully the 27 serves you well.

Funny story about Little Caesers- I didn't even know those places were around anymore- I think they closed all of them in the Chicago area. Do they still sell the pizzas in pairs? Pizza Pizza!

EdwardGein
02-15-2006, 09:33 PM
When I was in Chicago a few years ago for all of a few hours between a layover on a train trip to St. Louis from the Washington DC area- I hated my job so much, I wouldn't fly as I didn't want to take the chance of dying for those cretins, I was by the train station near the Sears Towers & I ate one of the best pizza meals ever at a place call Xchakers (Spelling) or Ex or X something right next to Tower Records there. This was real genuine Chicago Deep Dish pizza & it was huge and excellent.

bjornb17
02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Now i want pizza.

I've been known for downing massive quantities of pizza, the best food ever created.

I was in chicago last summer to visit some people and they ordered something called the "football pizza" It's basically an insanely big pizza cut into probably about 40 squares. I ate more than 3/4 of it in a couple hours with a few breaks inbetween to let it "settle." In addition to that i also ate some burritos, tacos, and what now. I like to eat :) I will regret it in a few years when i get fat :eek:

Eric Z
02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, there's nothing like pizza in Chicago- I know New York has their own claim to fame with pizza, but it's hard to beat Giordono's, Lou Malnatis, Pizzeria Uno, Gino's East, etc. The smaller pizza joints are fantastic as well- thin crust, deep dish, etc.

I travel once in a while for business and I'll be in Orlando and the Houston areas for weeks at a time- there's nothing worse than bad pizza- I still eat it, but just miss Chicago's home cooking.

The deep dish pizza is such a great meal!

Now I'm really hungry!

Okay, that's my argument for Chicago pizza!

Later.
Eric

P.S. Bjorn, once the HK 27 gets going, let us know how it works.

GMichael
02-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, there's nothing like pizza in Chicago- I know New York has their own claim to fame with pizza, but it's hard to beat Giordono's, Lou Malnatis, Pizzeria Uno, Gino's East, etc. The smaller pizza joints are fantastic as well- thin crust, deep dish, etc.

I travel once in a while for business and I'll be in Orlando and the Houston areas for weeks at a time- there's nothing worse than bad pizza- I still eat it, but just miss Chicago's home cooking.

The deep dish pizza is such a great meal!

Now I'm really hungry!

Okay, that's my argument for Chicago pizza!

Later.
Eric

P.S. Bjorn, once the HK 27 gets going, let us know how it works.

Guys, you are killing me. I can almost smell the pizza from here. MMMMmmmm good.

I've never had a Chicago pizza, but I have heard good things. I am from NY and have had many good pizzas. But the best I ever had was from a place in Pa. I'll be moving across the street from it this year.

Century L100
02-16-2006, 10:56 AM
I see your point. It's kind of like cars: If your local Toyota dealer is a jerk, it might be better to buy some other car, with a less stellar reputation but with from a dealer who will take care of you.

An HK receiver I might go for, but from what I've read about the CD player, no thanks. I'd choose something else, even if it did mean that I'd have to have another remote floating around.

kexodusc
02-18-2006, 06:00 AM
WTF?? Do you live in a rocket ship or something? Is gravity different where you are?
This is ridiculous. I can't imagine the frustration you must be going through.
H/K must be thinking you're playing games with them by now (or they know how crappy their products are).
Evem Sony on it's worst day wouldn't give you the troubles you've had.
I'm speechless. I've never met anyone as unlucky as you bjornb17...don't know what else to say. I'll pray for you.

bjornb17
02-18-2006, 06:00 AM
I woke up this morning and when i turned on the FL8385, the mechanism that turns the carosel broke. Now it will just open and close and not spin. This was a brand new unit and is only about a week old :mad: Oh well, on to unit #5 or a refund.

Geoffcin
02-18-2006, 06:02 AM
I woke up this morning and when i turned on the FL8385, the mechanism that turns the carosel broke. Now it will just open and close and not spin. This was a brand new unit and is only about a week old :mad: Oh well, on to unit #5 or a refund.

You should be working for Underwriter Labratories. (UL) ;)

kexodusc
02-18-2006, 06:06 AM
And how did my reply get posted before your latest post?

bjornb17
02-18-2006, 06:08 AM
WTF?? Do you live in a rocket ship or something? Is gravity different where you are?
This is ridiculous. I can't imagine the frustration you must be going through.
H/K must be thinking you're playing games with them by now (or they know how crappy their products are).
Evem Sony on it's worst day wouldn't give you the troubles you've had.
I'm speechless. I've never met anyone as unlucky as you bjornb17...don't know what else to say. I'll pray for you.

Actually i live on the international space station. I'm not sure if i forgot to mention that :)

I am so tempted to pick up the unit right now and throw it out of my second-floor window, but that will hurt my chances of getting a refund. I'm at the point where i just want HK to refund my money for the FL8385 AND DVD22. I dont even care about getting an exchange anymore, even if its for a better unit. For the time being, BOTH of them are broken. What pieces of crap :)

As for H/K, i'm curious to know what they are thinking too. They have 1 main person that works in the customer service and for the past few months he's been asnwering atleast 1 email a week from me related to problems with HK units.

GMichael
02-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh man that sucks. It's good that they don't just blow you off but come on. Enough is enough. What are they building these things out of?

bjornb17
02-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Oh man that sucks. It's good that they don't just blow you off but come on. Enough is enough. What are they building these things out of?

I am actually curious about opening up the FL8385 to see what's inside :p

GMichael
02-18-2006, 07:09 AM
I am actually curious about opening up the FL8385 to see what's inside :p

It's a camera. Once you get the top off it will snap your picture and say, "Kiss your warranty goodbye sucker."

Eric Z
02-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Are you kidding me, Bjorn? It's actually a little humorous what you're going through- on my side, not yours obviously. Are you pulling our legs? Are you serious about all of this bad luck with HK. I have to ask since I've never heard anyting like this :) Seriously though, this makes me never want to buy an HK product EVER! Even though it sounds like their service is good since they are working with you. At this point, you must be ready to just say, **** it! I agree, I wouldn't even want an upgrade a couple steps above- especially since odds are it's going to malfunction!

Good luck!
Eric

bjornb17
02-18-2006, 10:26 AM
anyway, i just fired the unit up right now and somehow its working again like there was no problem. What's the deal lol.

bjornb17
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Are you pulling our legs?

APRIL FOOLS BAHAHAHAHA i gotcha all good :D

just kidding, i really am having all of these problems :mad:

Eric Z
02-18-2006, 06:38 PM
:D Let us know when you hear from HK about the next steps.

mygear
02-20-2006, 12:47 PM

I totally agree, HK stuff looks way to futuristic for me too. I have an older HK PA5800 amp and it is rock solid and played great for years. I used an HK AVR 20 II for the preamp. And they both still work perfectly. I didn't have the same luck with an HK cd changer. FL8550, I had three of them, and each one crapped out. Terrible peice of equipment!! But at the time I thought they sounded good. Until I heard CD players from Cambrige Audio, Music Hall, and Jolida. They Blow HK away in terms of sound quality.

GMichael
02-20-2006, 01:15 PM
APRIL FOOLS BAHAHAHAHA i gotcha all good :D

just kidding, i really am having all of these problems :mad:

Blow me

A kiss

GMichael
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Okay

haha you looked.

I looked for the reply button so I could try and stop you. You're not my type dude. I like my women with less facial hair.

bjornb17
02-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Blow me

A kiss

Okay

haha you looked.

GMichael
02-20-2006, 02:18 PM
In case you forgot, you're the one that asked for the kiss :)

BTW i have a girlfriend.

So don't tell her.

I would die first.

bjornb17
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I looked for the reply button so I could try and stop you. You're not my type dude. I like my women with less facial hair.

In case you forgot, you're the one that asked for the kiss :)

BTW i have a girlfriend.

So don't tell her.

bjornb17
03-12-2006, 12:22 AM
hey guys,

I've been gone for a while (working on a new model airplane project that's taking tons of time).

Anyway, i got my new DVD27 last week. It's very similar to the DVD22, but it has a few differences.

1) The cosmetics seem to be a bit nicer. The front panel is more minimalist, now using black buttons instead of the silver ones on the DVD22. Also the blue "on" light has a slight turquoise hue to it. Nice touch, in my opinion. It's not different enough to be very obvious in comparison to the lights on the cd player and receiver, but it can be noticed if you look close enough.
2) The unit itself is smaller and lighter. I'm not sure how i feel about this, since i like having clunky things that are built like a rock. Construction quality still feels pretty solid. Its an inch or two less deep than the DVD22 and weight a couple of pounds less.
3) They fixed the digital-out jacks. No longer does it take 2 seconds to lock onto the sound format, it happens instantly. I thought this was a receiver issue but apparantely it was the DVD player.
4) The graphic it displays while in "Stop" mode is much nicer than the only one on the DVD22.
5) The remote is different. I can't say that it is better, just different. It suffers from the same problems as the old one. However, now the play, stop, and pause buttons are smaller. However the remote itself looks somewhat nicer.
6) Better layout of outputs on the back.

I did notice a small problem though. When i first set it to "progressive scan", the graphics were are jargled up. turning the unit off and back on fixed this, and now its running very nicely.

overall i like it a lot more than the DVD22. I guess the exchange worked out in my favor :)

GMichael
03-12-2006, 05:58 AM
At least something good came of all your troubles. Good luck with it.

Eric Z
03-12-2006, 10:04 AM
i'm sure you'll be happy with something that just keeps on working :)

Feanor
03-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm starting to get irritated by all the problems that my Harman Kardon products have. ...

I have a Harmon Kardon 330A receiver I bought circa 1973 -- still works well. I'm using in my bedroom system; listen to FM on it every day.