Narrow Home Theater Components [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Home Theater Components

wesbru
01-10-2006, 07:19 AM
I am just entering the HD arena. We bought a Samsung 42" DLP TV. My problem is that our new furniture has 16 1/2 in shelf width for components and most components are at least 17 in wide. I am looking for a DVD player to take advantage of the HDTV and a new home theater sound system.
I am not a video/audiophile so I don't want to spend too much.
Any suggestions!!
Returning the furniture is not an option.

Thanks for any help

N. Abstentia
01-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Yeah that's a bummer. Why they wouldn't design A/V furniture to fit standard A/V equipment is beyond me.

But anyway, you shouldn't have a problem finding a DVD player that will fit, there are plenty of small ones out there.

However, finding a good receiver that's not 17" is going to be fun! I suggest starting at crutchfield.com by going through all their components, they are great for listing measurements and having good pictures of the equipment. Prices can be beat, but the website and customer service is great.

BadAssJazz
01-10-2006, 08:45 AM
I am not a video/audiophile so I don't want to spend too much. Any suggestions!!

You have no choice: get ready to be an audiophile. Parasound has a recent line of components that are smaller than your average component, but perform exceptionally well. You can also search Audiogon to find small sized amps, especially tubes and mono blocks that will fit your space.

Another option is to find a 5.1 bookshelf CD/DVD stereo system like this one from Panasonic http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-SC-PM91D-SC-PM91-CD-DVD-MP3-MINI-STEREO-WRNTY_W0QQitemZ5850935911QQcategoryZ67803QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Finally, depending on how computer savvy you are, you can always convert a small form factor PC into a media server of sorts. You'll need an Audigy soundcard upgrade in order to get full surround sound processing, of course.

Good luck!