want a new system! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : want a new system!

wolfeinstein
01-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi guys! Im new to video and audio! My question is i have $10,000 for a new theatre system i want a nice tv min 42 inches 50 is better, and a killer audio system can you guys point me in the right direction.
My living room is 30x30

edtyct
01-10-2006, 06:26 AM
If you're planning to use anywhere from 1/2 to all of the available room as seating distance, and you really have $10,000 in you budget, you should consider front projection. This strategy will take you out of the realm of plug and play; you'll have to choose and locate a screen, mount or otherwise house a projector, and control room lighting for ordinary viewing much more religiously than you would with a big plasma or rear projector. But the payoff in pure spectacle will be palpable. The question is whether you want to transform your livingroom into more of a theatre than a sitting room or casual viewing area (wives tend to have definite opinions about this issue). So far as what projector to choose, I'd go with the Sony Cineza SXRD, but numerous alternatives exist if it's too expensive or doesn't strike your fancy. Check out Westcott's pics of his front-projection setup for an example of how elegant a theatre can look in your livingroom.

Whoops. I didn't mean the Cineza, which is Sony's LCD projector, and not half-bad itself, but the twice + expensive VPL-VW100. It may exceed your budget.

topspeed
01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
What's more important to you, the video or the audio? Ed's suggestion of the SXRD is an excellent choice, but also a very expensive one. One, in fact, that will easily chew-up your entire budget :eek:. One thing is for sure, with room that size, you really should look into a front projector, just not necessarily the Sony. Ed and Robert are two of the most knowledgeable here when it comes to this format, and I'm sure you'll get some great rec's from either.

On the audio side we need to know if you're interested in all at using this for music, in particular multi-channel hi-rez formats such as SACD or DVDA. If it's for HT only, you'd be better served with di-pole surrounds for a more diffuse soundfield. If you are going to do hi-rez, you'll want mono poles for a more locked-in image. It sounds stupid, but it's important if you want to maximize the experience. $10k is no joke, make sure you get it right.

Supamike
01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, for $8000 you can get a REALLY nice system, and still have enough left over to send $2k my way so I can too. :)

GMichael
01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Here is a site that I have found with fair prices on projectors and screens.

http://projectionwholesale.com/prodList.asp?idCategory=4

And here is a site with lots of information on what to pick.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

This is a just a start. Much more to read. Don't be in a rush with so much to choose from.

wolfeinstein
01-10-2006, 06:11 PM
thx for a response! im a noob in this field but i was suprised that you guys talking about projector i thought a tv be better! like a 50 in lcd hdtv
plus i dont have a wife! lol
what is the point of a projector does it have sharp pictures?

edtyct
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
No wife? Well, you can't have everything. A $10,000 budget will have to do. A properly chosen and set-up projector will pretty much give you the best of every video feature that you want--bigger, sharper, and, if not necessarily brighter, a better contrast ratio than most any other display type. Not to be too obvious about it, a front projector and screen is the closest thing to a classy cinematic experience that you can get--with the potential for better sound and picture than the local cineplex can offer. A 50" inch LCD rear projection or direct-view set is nothing to sneeze at, but it won't manage the picture quality and sheer majesty that almost any HD projector, whether LCD, DLP, or LCoS, routinely delivers. Sold? If so, you should have a reputable dealer help you with selection and installation. If you give your location, maybe somebody will have a recommendation.

wolfeinstein
01-11-2006, 01:58 AM
well i did not realize that the projector would give me that kind of quality i thought like a nice lac hdtv has no superior to it! what would i do if i want to watch tv? i might be sold on the projector. and i could build the projector into my celling to as i have redone my whole house so that is no problem.
i just need to read up on projectors i have seen it at costco for 899 but i guess that wouldn't give me the experience as the 6000$ would right?

edtyct
01-11-2006, 05:51 AM
You can run all of your sources through your projector, just like you would through a conventional TV--satellite, cable, DVD, etc. By all means, take advantage of the links that others have offered and bone up on projectors. I don't know exactly what Cosco is offering, but at $899 it may be a 480p projector or an HD projector missing certain refinements. At $5000 to $6000, you should be able to satisfy every critical value for your situation and preferences; you might even be able to do so for half the money, depending on what you buy and where you buy it. What you want is a deep enough black level for movies, good color rendition (with drive controls that let you make adjustments based on the source that you're watching), and signal processing that keeps various types of video noise from intruding on your experience. The screen is another crucial variable; you'll encounter variations in size, mounting, material, and gain (the degree to which the screen enhances brightness). Some people are technically minded and daring enough to make the decisions and perform the manual labor themselves. But even experienced A/V enthusiasts can benefit at least from talking to a knowledgeable dealer face to face if not getting help with installation. Wrong choices are easy to make if you aren't aware of all the possible pitfalls. Although digital projectors and screens are far better at handling ambient light than their CRT predecessors were, controlling for light is still high on the list of prepartions for front projection, especially with the larger screens. A good dealer will be helpful on that score.

Sorry about all the abstracts. I'm sure that people can get more specific about the variables when you come back with some definite questions and ideas. But you are in an enviable position. Given the size of your room and your budget, you will be able to set something up that can do full justice to an HD home theatre.

Ed

Eric Z
01-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Are there still issues with lighting and projectors/screens. I saw a friends set-up a little while ago and it was great in the evening without a lot of light. However, during the day, it wasn't nearly as bright as some conventional HDTV set-ups. I know my friend's house had a lot of windows in his living room area so it was hard to block out the light- also, he said he didn't want to block out the light because he liked how his house was bright with natural light.

He said he would do it differently if he had to do it over again- he would have a dedicated HT room with a projector for movie watching and then a second HT set-up in his living room with an HDTV.

I have no idea if all projector set-ups are affected by light like this- just wondering.

edtyct
01-11-2006, 06:32 AM
It depends on the projector and, to a certain extent, the screen. Some projectors are so bright that they can stand up to lighting with relative ease (often LCDs), but their dark scenes tend not to look very convincing when the lights are out--a gamebreaker for some people. But a projector's output is also affected by the screen's size and its ability to hold brightness (which is usually much better in the center than on the periphery). Sony has just come out with an all-black screen that purportedly can stand up to quite a bit of light. Your friend's situation isn't very unusual. Some people, and equipment, are more forgiving about these things than others. In many cases, however, lighting beyond a certain threshold washes out most projected material and taints the experience. It's just the nature of the beast.

Eric Z
01-11-2006, 06:56 AM
makes sense, ed- thanks!

edtyct
01-11-2006, 07:06 AM
You're welcome. Projectors are the most complicated animals in this little world. The payoff is big, but the variables and caveats are also considerable. My six-year-old daughter won't even go to sleep with the lights out; I could hardly expect her to watch Cyberchase in complete darkness, in one spot, at 4:00 in the afternoon.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I am having a house constructed so I know that I will be able to control lighting by design. If you are planning on going with a projector this part is key. I will still have windows and can have bright lighting when not watching TV. There are many ways to control the light when need be.
Look through those links if you are interested. There are tons of ideas. In my oppinion a good projector can be had between $2000 & 3000. But that's up to you. If you have the money, then better can be had.

Don't forget sound. Do you want it for just HT or for music also?