Speaker Recommendations for Bryston 2B-LP with Bryston 0.4 preamp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Recommendations for Bryston 2B-LP with Bryston 0.4 preamp

brystonboy
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!

drseid
01-10-2006, 03:08 AM
Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!
Your budget, room size, music preferences and speaker characteristic preferences would be helpful in getting you the best (and meaningful) answers... Also, do you want to stick to audio retail store brands, or are Internet only brands OK?

Once we have all of these parameters, I am sure someone here can help.

Thanks,

---Dave

brystonboy
01-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Your budget, room size, music preferences and speaker characteristic preferences would be helpful in getting you the best (and meaningful) answers... Also, do you want to stick to audio retail store brands, or are Internet only brands OK?

Once we have all of these parameters, I am sure someone here can help.

Thanks,

---Dave

For now lets say budget is not really a consideration. I want value for my money, and don't necessarily want to buy the best thing out there, but I am not really concerned about money. I also don't want to "out-class" my amp. Room size is also not really a consideration because I am not planning around my existing room. Music preference is mostly rock, but I have a variety of tastes from country to classical. As far as the characteristics of the speakers, I would like them to be relatively flat and revealing. I do some home recording and I'd like to use these as another reference source for my mixes. Also, being a bit of a studio guy I like to hear recordings the way the producer meant it to sound, so I would like as little "colouring" of the sound as possible.

Thanks!!

drseid
01-10-2006, 04:59 AM
For now lets say budget is not really a consideration. I want value for my money, and don't necessarily want to buy the best thing out there, but I am not really concerned about money. I also don't want to "out-class" my amp. Room size is also not really a consideration because I am not planning around my existing room. Music preference is mostly rock, but I have a variety of tastes from country to classical. As far as the characteristics of the speakers, I would like them to be relatively flat and revealing. I do some home recording and I'd like to use these as another reference source for my mixes. Also, being a bit of a studio guy I like to hear recordings the way the producer meant it to sound, so I would like as little "colouring" of the sound as possible.

Thanks!!

OK, Well then the Merlin VSM MXs should fit those requirements nicely... They go new for about 10K a pair, and are very neutral. Nice overall sound down to about 30hz. They are extremely revealing as well, and can be tweaked by Bobby to match solid state electronics when they are built (no charge for this, BTW).

---Dave

psonic
01-11-2006, 08:43 PM

Sure, Sonus Faber Grand Piano ($3000) - sounds breathtaking on solid state electronics. Highly recommed a listen to these (or Concertos for around $1900)

http://www.hifi-notes.com/sonusf2/images/concerto_gp.gif

Hand made in Italy, phenomenal quality of build, like going from a Honda to a Ferrari. I have not seen many speakers match them in sound or build in the price range...

Bernd
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi,
Over here PMC Speakers are often recommended for Bryston amps.As for Italien Speakers, now you're talking. But then I am biased, ever since I got mine.
Good luck and have fun.

Bernd

Pat D
01-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!Since your amp is not too large, you should probably look for medium or high sensitivity speakers. The most neutral speakers I have heard lately are the Paradigm Signature S2 and the Thiel PCS. The Thiel is reasonably sensitive but is a bit low in impedance, though that should not bother a Bryston. These speakers are rather differently balanced but both have a lot going for them.