Who's a Happy Camper? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who's a Happy Camper?

topspeed
01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Just a quick poll to see who is happy with their rig at this moment in time. Audio/Videophiles are usually a quirky group in that they seem to possess the unending desire to tweak, upgrade, trade, whatever. There's nothing wrong with this of course, it is a hobby after all. This, combined with ever-changing technologies (BluRay anyone?) compells most of us to stay on the cutting edge. For example, my friend has replaced his preamps twice, his amps 4 times, and now his speakers 4 times in the past 2 years! This isn't B&M stuff either, he's running Rowland with Legacy Whispers now (I think, who knows at this point?).

For me, I'm pretty content right now and don't foresee any major changes save for equipment failure. This is not to say my rig if perfect, only that any improvements aren't important enough for me to spend money on.

Remember kids, this is just a snapshot in time. We won't hold you to this later ;).

Woochifer
01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Great topic topspeed!

Interesting to see how "content" the poll voters seem so far (albeit with only two votes so far), considering how often we discuss the upgrades that people make on this board. I'm pretty much content on the audio side. The CD/SACD changer that I bought last month was the first substantive upgrade that I've made to my system in more than two years, and it simply replaced an 11-year old CD changer that was beginning to wear down. (I also replaced the cartridge on my turntable a year ago, but that also simply replaced a worn out item)

Thus far, I've held steady on the video side, but that will all change the minute I buy a HDTV. Once that happens, then the upgrades and pending upgrades will come fast and furious! Just as buying my first DVD player eventually led to a complete home theater system 2 1/2 years later, I expect that buying my first HDTV will lead to a similar process on the video side. And going to Blu-ray or HD-DVD to cap off my video upgrades might uncork the inevitable audio upgrades, because I'll be looking to take advantage of the lossless multichannel audio formats that will come with those new HD video discs. Okay, so maybe it is a "hobby" to me!

kexodusc
01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm content with what I have, I just want more to go along with it...does that count? Can never have too many speakers. I suppose a DIY speaker hobby necessitates that though, but lately I've been doing it for other people.

Gear wise, eh, I'm pretty good for now. Guess in the back of my mind I'd always want more, but I've got more amps than I can use at the moment, more receivers than TV's, and enough source components to drive them all. I don't hear enough difference in the next level up in components to justify upgrading, because that same cash will provide more benefit if invested in speakers. Guess I'm saving up for something really...don't know what though yet.

Dabbling in full-fledged room treatments finally, just minor tweaks here and there...acoustic foam, DIY bass traps, etc. Slow going, but interesting.

SlumpBuster
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Alright, I voted "Almost there." I'm actually content, but since I have planned upgrades waiting in the wings including a new sub and big screen HDTV/maybe projector, I voted "almost." The only reason I haven't gotten them yet is that I don't want to do it untill we move to our next house in a year or so. I want to be able to take any new room into consideration with my upgrades. Also, I'm looking around for a new cassette deck of all things, but does that really count?

topspeed
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Wooch,

My friend, you've been talking about upgrading your monitor to HD for a year and a half now! Bite the bullet man! Once you come to the realization that whatever you buy is going to be outdated as soon as you get it calibrated, it's a lot easier to make the leap ;)! j/k. I feel ya on the video upgrade. Our new monitor led to a new hd/dvr and universal player. All said and done, the $2,200 tv eventually ended up costing me another $1,500 in front end upgrades! Domino effect: it sucks.

Kex,
Ahh, to have the time and space to build speakers. I'm more relaxed just thinking about it. I envy you and Ed, although Frias takes the cake as he's getting a new toy I'm drooling over. (pm me for details if you're interested)

Slump,
A cassette deck?!? You're pullin' my chain, right? My cars don't even have cassette decks in them! No, it doesn't count. :D:D:D

kexodusc
01-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I can only guess Ed has got himself something in excess of 350 HP. Lucky guy. Good for him, he's one of the good ones.

topspeed
01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Yep. Something to the tune of 155hp "in excess" of 350! Hoo-wheee!!!

Agreed, he's definitely a great guy.

kexodusc
01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh man, that's like double what my front-wheel drive Accord Coupe has...man I'm jealous.
Does it glide effortlessly over 2 feet of snow at 130 Km/hr? :D

dean_martin
01-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey Speedy, I'm happy with the recent turn my system has taken. My ss amp/preamp is gone and in its place is a Jolida tube integrated. But I knew I would have to do something about my cd player too so I swapped out my AMC for a Cambridge Audio D500SE. I made this change in November as the first step in an extensive overhaul. The difference in cd playback is significant and very much to my liking. The next step is an outboard phono preamp (I'm using my old preamp's phono section now) and a new cartridge - hoping to get both of these at one time. Another step is new speakers. I hope to take one of these steps by the end of this month. It feels good to finally have come up with an affordable plan that I can implement and that will be an improvement. I think once completed, I'll be "content" for about 3-5 years (not counting experimenting with different cartridges and tubes) until I can spring for a nice tube preamp and tube monoblocks.

topspeed
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Does it glide effortlessly over 2 feet of snow at 130 Km/hr? :D:D:D:D

*wipes tear from eyes* I dunno. Ask him!

L.J.
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
You musta read my mind. I was gonna this same thread. I slowly upgraded all of last year so I'd better be content. Started off with my AVR & DVD player, then moved on to my speakers about 6 months after. Lastly I got a CD player about a month ago. My C-9's are amazing. I love these speakers. I've been thru most of my CD collection all over again. I've been slowly building my SACD & DVD-A and DVD collection, and I actually sit and listen to music now. I never use to do that. I guess a good pair of speakers will do that to ya. No more major purchases in the near future for me except a PS3.

kexodusc
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Cool, so what you're saying is I can out run him off road in a blizzard. Nice.

GMichael
01-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Can I vote more than once?
I am very happy with the system I have now. 55" HDTV with a 7.1 sound system is great. Makes TV and movies better than I had ever hoped. But if I can have more then I'm all for it. Once the house is built (tired of hearing this yet? I'm tired of saying it) the HD projectors are going in. One in the living room and onother in the bedroom. The prices have been coming down on these like crazy while the quality has been going up. The Sanyo Z4 is already down to under $1800 street price. Mitsu even came out with a DLP for around $3k. By next summer who knows what will be available. The Z3 will most likely end up in the bedroom with my 6.1 system. Black out cloth is already getting a good looking at.
Down the road, far down the road, my main system will move into the basement to keep the pool table company. The old Pioneer will have to move to the garage. Then a new system will go into the living room. I've had my eye on a few things but leave the door open to change as time changes all things.

500 pony power huh? Very nice. I'll just wave at your tailpipe from inside my Acura CL as you fly by.

topspeed
01-09-2006, 06:14 PM
500 pony power huh? Very nice. I'll just wave at your tailpipe from inside my Acura CL as you fly by.I wish I could say it's mine. Alas, I have to make due with *only* 333hp ;).

I'm getting the feeling I need to put a time limit on option 2. Maybe require upgrades within a 2 or 3 month window because eventually we'll all upgrade given enough time, resources, and a divorce or two.

topspeed
01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Speedy, I'm happy with the recent turn my system has taken. My ss amp/preamp is gone and in its place is a Jolida tube integrated.
I remember you mentioning the Jolida a bit back and it sounds like it's worked out famously. Glad to hear it, Dino. BTW, is that an E-Type in your avatar?

LJ,
You'll have to get in line for your PS3 behind Wooch and myself. No cutsies!

dean_martin
01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
BTW, is that an E-Type in your avatar?

Yes it is. The avatar is from the site for the Italian comic book series "Diabolik". Mario Bava directed a campy movie based on the comics called "Danger: Diabolik" back in the late 60s. Diabolik drove a black E-Type while his babe Eva drove a white one. John Phillip Law played Diabolik in the movie. If you find the original Batman The Movie (the Adam West one) entertaining you would probably like Diabolik.

L.J.
01-09-2006, 06:45 PM
LJ,
You'll have to get in line for your PS3 behind Wooch and myself. No cutsies!

No fightin' youngsters or waiting in line for me. I'm waiting until I can just walk into the store and buy one with no headaches.

My kid's pissed because, daddy's getting a PS3 and he's not touching it.

Woochifer
01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Wooch,

My friend, you've been talking about upgrading your monitor to HD for a year and a half now! Bite the bullet man! Once you come to the realization that whatever you buy is going to be outdated as soon as you get it calibrated, it's a lot easier to make the leap ;)! j/k. I feel ya on the video upgrade. Our new monitor led to a new hd/dvr and universal player. All said and done, the $2,200 tv eventually ended up costing me another $1,500 in front end upgrades! Domino effect: it sucks.

Believe me, if it was only the monitor upgrade (and if I was the only one deciding), I would have done it a long time ago! Somewhere along the way though, that HDTV fund got turned into a low-voltage track lighting fund, then a patio cover fund, and now it's magically morphed into a retaining wall fund (and while we're at it, there's also the sofa/loveseat fund, and the dreaded new car fund that it might morph into next!).

In addition to those front and back end costs (to do HD/progressive, I got the satellite box and DVD player to upgrade from the outset, plus I want to do the entire video chain using HDMI connections), I got the WAF to consider as well. My better half has already declared no big ugly boxy TVs in the living room (which limits the HD options to flat panels or front projection), and she also wants more hideaway storage for all of those DVDs that I keep buying (and stacking along the wall, because adding more "ugly" standalone DVD racks is out of the question). So, this means that I'll be adding a new Salamander rack with the media drawer add-ons (I plan to eventually use that rack as a flat panel stand) before I even get around to deciding on a HDTV! Ah, the eternal bliss of matrimony!

Talk about dominoes falling -- my technophobe parents wound up getting a HDTV before I did! (They're in the half of American households with the blinking 12's on their VCR and no clue how to program one of those things for recording) Shockingly, they went all out by getting a 50" plasma with a built-in HD-DVR (of course, I had to program everything for them before coming back to the Bay Area)! Once again, it was the woman of the house that drove that decision -- my mom wanted a big picture, but did not want the image to "disappear" when sitting off to the side, while my dad would have been fine with a hulking rear projection console. That HDTV is major overkill for the stuff that my parents play on it (mostly broadcast channels on cable and some DVDs), but it makes them happy and with 24-months interest-free and a paid-off mortgage (a VERY nice place to be, considering that they bought the house for $60k some 30+ years ago), the cost takes only a small chunk out of their social security checks!

bobsticks
01-09-2006, 07:09 PM
You know, it almost seems as if this could pose two questions.[At this moment in time] I'm pretty happy. Mozart's Concerto for Violin,Piano and Orchestra in D Major ended not too long ago. Even owning a modest system, I can appreciate so much more music--certainly genres that never would have been readily apparent to me with the ol' HTIB.
That having been said, just knowing the possibilities out there is pretty intriguing and I am enjoying the auditioning process.
I try to be a "cup-is-half-full" kind of guy. Though I'm committed to growth and evolution with my system, I certainly wouldn't let current shortcomings interfere with my enjoyment at this moment in time.

SlumpBuster
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Slump,
A cassette deck?!? You're pullin' my chain, right? My cars don't even have cassette decks in them! No, it doesn't count. :D:D:D

My wife calls that rack of equipment "The Graveyard." All dead formats. I have cassette, VHS, and minidisk. She made me get rid of the 8 track and reel to reel. In college, I went through a reel to reel phase after Pulp Fiction came out. But, what I really want is a digital compact cassette deck, a DAT deck and a Laserdisk deck. :D
But, seriously, I got alot of bootlegs and live stuff on cassette and never had a high end deck before. So I've been poking around on Ebay and Audiogon. You can get some sick decks for almost nothing.

SlumpBuster
01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Believe me, if it was only the monitor upgrade (and if I was the only one deciding), I would have done it a long time ago! Somewhere along the way though, that HDTV fund got turned into a low-voltage track lighting fund, then a patio cover fund, and now it's magically morphed into a retaining wall fund (and while we're at it, there's also the sofa/loveseat fund, and the dreaded new car fund that it might morph into next!).

Ain't that the truth! Over Christmas break, the wife and I went to see Syriana. After listening to some goon behind us hack up a lung through the whole movie, I said "F--- it. Let's go to Best Buy and get the biggest HD they got and never go to the movies again." To my surprise, she actually said okay. However, we didn't even make it into the store. We got side tracked into an Ethan Allen, and my HDTV is now a dining room set. :D Only upside is that when I finally do get HD, the cost will look cheap by comparison. :D Ahhh, wedded bliss.

Bernd
01-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Great Thread.
I am good to go and spinning!
Was very lucky to be able to put together what I consider a really good musical system over the last 24 months. I have no interest in HT or multichannel so could concentrate solely on quality music reproduction and system synergy.
Had my first dedicated music room completed august last and it's bliss.Privacy-hurrah! The last piece was the Transfiguration Temper V cartridge.
I also still use a Tape-deck (Nakamichi CR-7E) and wouldn't be without it. If I want to watch anything it's on an ordinary Sony TV,VCR and a budget Toshiba DVD. Does the trick for me,but it's very seldom called into action.
Enjoy.

Bernd

Feanor
01-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Just a quick poll to see who is happy with their rig at this moment in time.
...Remember kids, this is just a snapshot in time. We won't hold you to this later ;).
"I'll be content when I'm dead!" Otherwise I'd just be a music lover!! ;)

Right now my stereo system sounds great but that doesn't mean I'm happy. For one thing, there's my HT system that could do with upgrading to my stereo standard; (and yes, I'd still need both. My wife uses the HT all the time but never the stereo).

Other than that I'd like to add those DIY subwoofers to the stereo; (see my comments in the Tweaks/DYI forum). Also I want to experiment with a Behringer DEQ2496 RTA+1/6 octave graphic equalizer; (right now I have a Behringer T1951 parametric). A tube preamp such as the ModWright might be an improvement too.

Then there's the bedroom system. Definitely a priority to loose those old Rat Shack Minimus 7's; maybe substituting a pair of Mirage OmniPolars.

Getting back to the stereo in the living room, those Maggies take up a lot of space :( . I can imaging replacing them with DIY Accuton/Accuton 2-ways, combined, of course with the aforementioned subwoofers I've yet to build.

JohnMichael
01-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I am content with my system. The components are tweaked, on various types of supports(cones and soft), speakers exactly where they sound best and the correct wire for different components. Of course as some of you know I have a left channel dropout problem with the cd player. So far a smack brings the channel back to life. I am sure when I replace it not for sonic reasons as much as for dependability I will have to figure out which support and cables work with the new one. Well I will enjoy the sound for now until I have to introduce a new component.

GMichael
01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I am content with my system. The components are tweaked, on various types of supports(cones and soft), speakers exactly where they sound best and the correct wire for different components. Of course as some of you know I have a left channel dropout problem with the cd player. So far a smack brings the channel back to life. I am sure when I replace it not for sonic reasons as much as for dependability I will have to figure out which support and cables work with the new one. Well I will enjoy the sound for now until I have to introduce a new component.

Introduce a new component?

"Hello CD player, meet the new DVD player" "He will be in charge of smacking your bottom whenever your left side drops off." "Hope you two will be very happy together."

Now where did I leave those cables to tie these two together?

spacedeckman
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I've got some pre-amp lust, but otherwise I'm okay. Going to spin a few tonight. Have to check out an amp that I need to get back. Compare notes.

paul_pci
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Since recently adding my Velodyne sub, I'm happy with my system and think of it as pretty much complete. To improve it would necessitate a significant upgrade in compenents and speakers and I won't have the money for that any time soon, but that's what putting money away into a mutual fund is for, right?

JohnMichael
01-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Introduce a new component?

"Hello CD player, meet the new DVD player" "He will be in charge of smacking your bottom whenever your left side drops off." "Hope you two will be very happy together."

Now where did I leave those cables to tie these two together?

GMichael you never fail to make me laugh. A bondage and discipline stereo system. They did not learn that from me.

GMichael
01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
GMichael you never fail to make me laugh. A bondage and discipline stereo system.

Can't help myself sometimes. OK, most of the times.

They did not learn that from me.

I'm sure they've been watching.

Florian
01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I am a happy camper. The next step is my super crossover which consist purely of snobby parts and with my snob attitute will be pure snob. Sure there are ways to improve them such as a foil only midrange, 6 more amps with a hand build active x-over and a room 4 times the size. My system is a work of art sonically and optically to me and i am a happy camper and just go further when it itches me.

L.J.
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
To improve it would necessitate a significant upgrade in compenents and speakers...

Excellent point Paul. That's exactly what I was thinking. That and the fact that I just finished upgrading my entire system. I would like to piece together a cute lil system for the bedroom though.

GMichael
01-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I am a happy camper. The next step is my super crossover which consist purely of snobby parts and with my snob attitute will be pure snob. Sure there are ways to improve them such as a foil only midrange, 6 more amps with a hand build active x-over and a room 4 times the size. My system is a work of art sonically and optically to me and i am a happy camper and just go further when it itches me.

Can't you get a few non-snob parts instead? Maybe just high-end or high-class, but still friendly parts?

Feanor
01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
For me, I'm pretty content right now and don't foresee any major changes save for equipment failure. This is not to say my rig if perfect, only that any improvements aren't important enough for me to spend money on.

Remember kids, this is just a snapshot in time. We won't hold you to this later ;).
What? Content or almost so? :rolleyes:

I'm not like the guy who turns over his whole system 3 times a year. My system sound very good indeed to me. Nevertheless I have the imagination to conceive that there might be something better.

"Better" has happened to me before, sometimes unexpectedly. For example, before my most recent amp upgrade: I had almost bought the line that all modern amps sound the same, but they don't as I discovered when I had the chance to hear something different. So it is that I have the controlled urge to research stuff that might be better. For the most part I have to be satisfied with just the research because I'm funds constrained, still I always hope for that advantageous upgrade.

Florian
01-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Can't you get a few non-snob parts instead? Maybe just high-end or high-class, but still friendly parts?
Well if i write that i'll get some crap from 3 or more sides so i'll admit it :p My crossovers consist of 2000$ for the parts alone. Hand selected, and build by me in a 6 chassy design.
-Flo

JES14
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
The "next" nirvana is always just a tweak away.

GMichael
01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Well if i write that i'll get some crap from 3 or more sides so i'll admit it :p My crossovers consist of 2000$ for the parts alone. Hand selected, and build by me in a 6 chassy design.
-Flo

$2000 in parts to built your own custom crossovers? Dude, that's a lot. Will they make that much of an improvement? Well, I guees if some can spend twice that on banana conectors.... or $250,000 on a pair of speakers. If it feels good, do it.

Florian
01-13-2006, 01:34 PM
$2000 in parts to built your own custom crossovers? Dude, that's a lot. Will they make that much of an improvement? Well, I guees if some can spend twice that on banana conectors.... or $250,000 on a pair of speakers. If it feels good, do it.
Well you have to see it in relation. My speakers cost in germany over 26000 bucks and are very rare. Since the speaker was build many years ago it today would retail many tens of thousands of dollars. And rightly so! Spening 2000$ on a crossover for a 1000$ speaker wont make much sense esp. since normal speakers have very easy crossovers. I will build one chassy for one driver section and use only the finest Caps, Foil-only spools and pure silver solder and silver internal wiring. Everything will then be hardwired to the chassy and filled with stones to absorb vibration and crosstalk of the spools.

I have modded the original Apogee crossover and the improvement was very dramatic across the board. I will post pictures of the work in progress once all the parts arive.

-Florian

GMichael
01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Well you have to see it in relation. My speakers cost in germany over 26000 bucks and are very rare. Since the speaker was build many years ago it today would retail many tens of thousands of dollars. And rightly so! Spening 2000$ on a crossover for a 1000$ speaker wont make much sense esp. since normal speakers have very easy crossovers. I will build one chassy for one driver section and use only the finest Caps, Foil-only spools and pure silver solder and silver internal wiring. Everything will then be hardwired to the chassy and filled with stones to absorb vibration and crosstalk of the spools.

I have modded the original Apogee crossover and the improvement was very dramatic across the board. I will post pictures of the work in progress once all the parts arive.

-Florian

I'm sure I would love how it all sounds. But I don't think I'll be putting that much into my system. Sounds like fun though.

Florian
01-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Well everyone has to know how far to take this hobby, if you are happy at the point where you are now then thats great. I will spend a few bucks more ;)

-Florian

GMichael
01-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Happy is a relative term. I do like how it sounds. I'm sure you liked yours when you were around this same level. But you wanted more. Me too, I'd like more. H.ll, I dream of upgrades every day. But there are too many other things that I need, instead of want. So I live with it for now. It's not so bad though. It still brings tears to my eyes during some recordings. Very enjoyable.

Right now, my next upgrade will be building a new house around my stereo to make it sound better. I'm planning where everything will go. Main speakers against this wall, sub over here, surrounds over there. How things will be at first, how they will be when I finally get the maggies. How will they be mounted. How the wires will be run before the walls even go up. A conduit to run future cables through. Changed where this, or that wall will be to help support the sound. Drapes to keep the sun out for the projector. Always keeping in mind how a change will affect how my sound system will end up sounding.

Florian
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
I have enjoyed almost all my system and same as you wanted more. I got lucky on most equipment and my dedication sometimes came close to insanity ;-) Before you start building you room i suggest you buy Cara and simulate your room in the computer through which you can walk in 3D and it tells you have the room problems it will have. I have to admit that i was not perfectly happy even with the 1.6 and the Pathos. The pure happieness only settled in with the Apogee Scintilla system. When i was in the US i had no choice to listen to anything but a Sony 555ES and Paradigm Atom speakers with a subwoofer and couldnt stand it, the reason i bought the Krell+3.6 setup eventough i knew i had to spend a grand on shipping it back home. I am picky, but i dont think its a bad thing.

GMichael
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I have enjoyed almost all my system and same as you wanted more. I got lucky on most equipment and my dedication sometimes came close to insanity ;-) Before you start building you room i suggest you buy Cara and simulate your room in the computer through which you can walk in 3D and it tells you have the room problems it will have. I have to admit that i was not perfectly happy even with the 1.6 and the Pathos. The pure happieness only settled in with the Apogee Scintilla system. When i was in the US i had no choice to listen to anything but a Sony 555ES and Paradigm Atom speakers with a subwoofer and couldnt stand it, the reason i bought the Krell+3.6 setup eventough i knew i had to spend a grand on shipping it back home. I am picky, but i dont think its a bad thing.

Cara? Is that her whole name?

jamison
01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, I am fairly happy with my setup, ive jumped on some killer deals and gotten good equipment cheap, for Instance i got a Velodyne HGS-18 sub for $500 from a couple that didnt know what it was worth, they didnt even want to know what it was worth which is sad. I went from Radio Shack Linaum speakears to Klipsch Reference series.. for me that was a huge upgrade at the time. I remember when they dropped off the RF-7's I hooked them up and listen to music for about half a day straight and i loved it. they sounded so clean and alive.. my Rat Shack stuff was half decent with movies but the Klipsch had the side effect of getting me back into a music lover.
My other stroke of luck was getting an Adcom GFA-7807 amp for $1000.00 brand new.
Now with the Klipsch efficiency you would think the amp is overkill but the difference between my Onkyo receivers amp and this one was night and day.
I also got a Steal on an Alesis DEQ-230D equalizer, I use that to tweak the bass a bit and cut the highs slightly for when i play it loud enough to knock the squirrels out of the trees.
I run the EQ between my CD player and receiver with the Coax digital inputs. I used to use an old kenwood with analog inputs but it wouldnt sound right with the DSP modes etc. also no matter what i did the subwoofer sounded out of phase with the eq on.. now all that is gone as well. I think the EQ goes for over $400 new and i got it on ebay for $150 in excellent condition. My next move is to make a small case for it out of Oak so it will fit seamlessly into my rack... i dislike the rack handles on it and it is so light it moves around when trying to adjust it. My next item i want is a dedicated preamp instead of the Onkyo receiver. i really like the ROTEL RMB 1098 with its display and all but not sure if the sound improvement will be that great from my onkyo.. at least i wont have all the heat from the onkyo it runs hot all the time

Bottom line for us tweakers, we will never be totally happy with our stuff... but i think it is the tweaking itself we enjoy!

Florian
01-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Cara is a acoustic room design software. Have a look here :)

http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html

GMichael
01-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Um,

Die CARA Test-DVD für digitalen Surround-Sound

Die CARA Test-DVD enthält zwei Video-DVDs ("DVD-1 Theorie" und "DVD-2 Tests"). Diese vermitteln Ihnen grundlegendes Wissen über die für die Akustik Ihrer Surround-Anlage relevanten Komponenten und deren Zusammenspiel bei der mehrkanaligen Musik- und Sprach*wiedergabe, also über die Lautsprecher, den Subwoofer und den digitalen Surround-Receiver.

Aufstellungshinweise und Anschlussprobleme werden eingehend diskutiert und mit ausgefeilten Testsignalen werden die optimalen Einstellungen für den Receiver und den Subwoofer gefunden.
Einer der Hauptschwerpunkte liegt hierbei auf der Überprüfung und Anpassung der Bass-Managementfunktionen des digitalen Surround-Receivers, da es in diesem Bereich am häufigsten zu Fehleinstellungen kommt. Einige (insbesondere ältere) Surround-Receiver weisen Fehler im Bass-Management auf. Diese werden erkannt und es werden Möglichkeiten aufgezeigt, diese Fehler zu umgehen.

Interaktiv - illustriert - ausführlich - verständlich

Die CARA Test-DVD ist vollständig menügesteuert. So gelangen Sie schnell zu den gewünschten Informationen und rufen gezielt die jeweiligen Testsequenzen mit Ihrer DVD-Fernbedienung auf. Auch bei der Einstellung des Subwoofers werden Sie soweit unterstützt, dass Sie bei der (probeweisen) Pegel- und Polungseinstellung auf Ihrem Hörplatz verweilen können.

Alle Testsignale sind voll digital erzeugt und gemastert und bieten so eine extrem hohe Qualität.

Außer Ihrem Gehör, einem Meterstab und in seltenen Fällen einem einfachen Taschenrechner sind für eine erfolgreiche Überprüfung und Optimierung Ihrer Anlage keine weiteren Hilfsmittel erforderlich. Ein Pegel-Messgerät, wie z.B. der HiFish Audio Controller kann natürlich hilfreich sein, um noch genauere Ergebnisse zu erzielen.

Unter anderen werden auch folgende Fragen auf dieser DVD geklärt:

Können Surround-Anlagen auch Stereo perfekt wiedergeben?
Welche Leistung muss ein Surround-Receiver haben?
Passen 4-Ohm-Lautsprecher an meinem Receiver?
Sind meine Lautsprecher „LARGE” oder „SMALL”?
Wo steht der Subwoofer optimal, wie stelle ich den Pegel ein?
Was muss ich bei zwei Subwoofern beachten?
Welchen Kabelquerschnitt sollte ich benutzen?
Funktioniert das Bass-Management meines Receivers korrekt?
Und vieles andere...

Aufbau des DVD-Menüs

Beide DVDs ("DVD-1 Theorie" und "DVD-2 Tests") enthalten das Gesamtmenü, das entsprechend einer sinnvollen Abarbeitungs*reihen*folge strukturiert ist:

Einleitung (DVD-1 und DVD-2)
Anschluss und Aufstellung der Lautsprecher (DVD-1)
Grundeinstellungen am Receiver und Subwoofer (DVD-2)
Die Grundeinstellungen im Receiver und Subwoofer werden erklärt und speziell für Ihre Anlage angepasst.
Test und Feineinstellung der Lautsprecheranschlüsse (DVD-2)
Hier werden alle Einstellungen mittels akustischer Tests überprüft und ggf. Feineinstellungen und Korrekturen durchgeführt.
Überprüfung des Bass-Managements im Receiver (DVD-2)
Dieses Kapitel enthält Tests zur Überprüfung der korrekten Funktionsweise des Bass-Managements. Bei Fehlern erhalten Sie Tipps, diese zu umgehen.
Akustische Tests (DVD-2)
Hier finden Sie Testsignale zum Auffinden von Resonanzen (mitschwingende Gegenstände) und zur Untersuchung raumakustischer Phänomene.
Häufig gestellte Fragen (FAQ) und ihre Antworten (DVD-1)
Glossar (DVD-1)
Erläuterung der wesentlichen Fachbegriffe.

I don't read German very well.

The CARA Test DVD for Digital Surround Sound
The CARA Test DVD is available in German language only.
Please read the more detailed survey of the CARA Test DVD in German.

Florian
01-13-2006, 02:40 PM
There must be a english version somewhere. Many use it that dont speak german.

Mhhh

Jim Clark
01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
It's getting there and that's a part of the fun even if it is just a small part.

Next up is getting some room treatment going. Soon I'll be posting some pics and looking for advice on how to get the most out of the room. Then I'm in need of some subwoofer help as it's probably dragging me down more than anything short of room issues. Finally I'll need to replace the AR DIYs currently being used as rears with some VS VR1's. I live as I preach, gradual updates when interest and money allow. I'm confident in the selections I make so they generally last a very long time and end up being exceptional values to me.

jc

GMichael
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM

That's 25 Ero right? That's about 30.50 us$ plus frieght. But they said I have to go through the US distributor. I would assume they have an English version if they are selling here. Not telling what a distributor may sell at. I'll email them.

Thanks

Florian
01-13-2006, 02:54 PM
That's 25 Ero right? That's about 30.50 us$ plus frieght. But they said I have to go through the US distributor. I would assume they have an English version if they are selling here. Not telling what a distributor may sell at. I'll email them.

Thanks
Your welcome, i am waiting for mine. I got it from my friend in Jamaica which ironically still comes me cheaper then buying it from my own country.

-Flo

topspeed
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
What? Content or almost so?

I'm not like the guy who turns over his whole system 3 times a year. My system sound very good indeed to me. Nevertheless I have the imagination to conceive that there might be something better.Who's talking about a lack of imagination? Brother, I've heard better than my system (it isn't hard, my rig ain't all that). However, I currently don't have any plans to take it to the next level. It isn't because I can't conceive improvements and thankfully, it has nothing to do with financial constraints. Right now, I'm content with the way it is and there are far more interesting things for me to spend my cash on right now :).

Next up is getting some room treatment going. Soon I'll be posting some pics and looking for advice on how to get the most out of the room. Then I'm in need of some subwoofer help as it's probably dragging me down more than anything short of room issues. Finally I'll need to replace the AR DIYs currently being used as rears with some VS VR1's. I live as I preach, gradual updates when interest and money allow. I'm confident in the selections I make so they generally last a very long time and end up being exceptional values to me.

jcYou actually need a sub with the jr's :eek:?!? Holy smokes Jim, is your room huge or do just like a lot of bass?