Thinking of getting Sirius [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting Sirius

KEXPMF
01-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I haven't been posting in a while, although I check in often. :)

Does anyone have any advice on Sirius satelllite radios/subscriptions?
I'm thinking of getting this but am getting frustrated/confused with the large number of radios to choose from, the widely ranging prices that I don't understand, how exactly does it hook up to the car and what would that cost?

The ipod buying experience was a billion times easier than this. :confused:

ToddL
01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
I haven't been posting in a while, although I check in often. :)

Does anyone have any advice on Sirius satelllite radios/subscriptions?
I'm thinking of getting this but am getting frustrated/confused with the large number of radios to choose from, the widely ranging prices that I don't understand, how exactly does it hook up to the car and what would that cost?

The ipod buying experience was a billion times easier than this. :confused:

The difference in the ones that I know:
-Some have a larger screen than others
-Some have home and car docking stations, others are one or other
Most will be hard wire and/or FM modulated but that could also be a difference

They hook up to your car by hardwiring through an auxiliary in(best option), or sending an FM signal to an unused FM radio station. The power is usually lighter for car, or wall adaptor for home. You will need an antenna either way. Find one that will have a good mounting solution for your car or it will be a mess. Subscription and programming arre always the same for your country.

jasn
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Are you set on Sirius? I can't speak for that service, but I have been hearing some pretty good things on XM since direct inputting a little $25 Roady2 to my car head unit last November. Two stations in particular, XMU and Unsigned, seem to be pretty far out front with new tunes from Rogue Wave, LCD Soundsystem, Hockey Night, Bloc Party, M.I.A,, Archer Prewitt, Aquaduct, Styrofoam, The Decemberists, Joy Zipper, etc., etc..

If the music variety is important, you'd be wise to canvas the web for feedback on the two differnt services.

ToddL
01-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Are you set on Sirius? I can't speak for that service, but I have been hearing some pretty good things on XM since direct inputting a little $25 Roady2 to my car head unit last November. Two stations in particular, XMU and Unsigned, seem to be pretty far out front with new tunes from Rogue Wave, LCD Soundsystem, Hockey Night, Bloc Party, M.I.A,, Archer Prewitt, Aquaduct, Styrofoam, The Decemberists, Joy Zipper, etc., etc..

If the music variety is important, you'd be wise to canvas the web for feedback on the two differnt services.

They have very similar music programs. It will probably come down to if you like Stern, NFL, or NASCAR

Dusty Chalk
01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Your name's not Jane, is it?

ToddL
01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
The antenna has to be on an outside window for most of the indoor kits, if you haven't already tried this.

PDK
01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I just decided on Sirius because of BBCRadio1 (new music from the UK) the EPL (English Premier League football- I'm a Fulham supporter), and their NBA coverage. I bought the XACT XTR3CK (visor mount pnp portable) with home and car kit for about $70. I am unable to get signal in my home or at work so it looks like it is going back. It's a shame because I was REALLY looking forward to it!!

Now listening: A Certain Trigger from Maximo Park...

Finch Platte
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
...in the SF Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/09/DDGL7GITMR1.DTL&hw=sirius&sn=003&sc=781) from yesterday that will confuse you even more. ;)

fp

KEXPMF
01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I also hear better things about XM however I want to listen to Howard.

My name isn't Jane.
:confused:

Dusty Chalk
01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
My name isn't Jane.
:confused:(That was a Jon Astley reference -- he had a one-hit wonder with "Jane's Getting Serious" -- sorry, really bad joke. That is all.)

3-LockBox
01-11-2006, 12:29 AM
(That was a Jon Astley reference -- he had a one-hit wonder with "Jane's Getting Serious" -- sorry, really bad joke. That is all.)

C'mon, admitt it...you own his CD :p

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2006, 10:41 AM
C'mon, admitt it...you own his CD :pAlright, I own both his CD's.

N. Abstentia
01-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Question for Sirius subscribers..

does Sirius have any stand-up comedy channels like XM?

Duds
01-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I think the comedy channel on Sirius is called Raw Dawg, not 100% sure though

Question for Sirius subscribers..

does Sirius have any stand-up comedy channels like XM?

topspeed
01-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Sirius has two comedy channels, Raw Dawg and one that's been cleaned up for mass consumption.

I just bought my wife the Sirius Replay for $79 from CC for Christmas and it's pretty cool. It has a remote, which really comes in handy, a large display, and a very simply user interface. The wife isn't very techie, so the easier it is to use, the better. We use the FM modulator and just put the antennae up on the dash. Reception is fine and I didn't have to tuck the wiring underneath the dash, etc.

My only complaint with Sirius is that their compression levels seem awfully high. It reminds me of a MP3 @ 128. Nothing major, but regular FM sounds better. I've only been playing with it for a few weeks now, but the Rock selection is pretty mind boggling.

Here's the unit we bought:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/dei/EC.DEI.ST2.JPG

Duds
01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
It's killing me not hearing Howard every morning. Sirius doesnt come in inside my office, so until they start streaming Howard over the internet, i am screwed. My buddy said that Howard announced that should be coming soon, which is very cool, plus that subscription costs less.

Sirius has two comedy channels, Raw Dawg and one that's been cleaned up for mass consumption.

I just bought my wife the Sirius Replay for $79 from CC for Christmas and it's pretty cool. It has a remote, which really comes in handy, a large display, and a very simply user interface. The wife isn't very techie, so the easier it is to use, the better. We use the FM modulator and just put the antennae up on the dash. Reception is fine and I didn't have to tuck the wiring underneath the dash, etc.

My only complaint with Sirius is that their compression levels seem awfully high. It reminds me of a MP3 @ 128. Nothing major, but regular FM sounds better. I've only been playing with it for a few weeks now, but the Rock selection is pretty mind boggling.

Here's the unit we bought:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/dei/EC.DEI.ST2.JPG

topspeed
01-12-2006, 11:21 AM
It's killing me not hearing Howard every morning. Sirius doesnt come in inside my office, so until they start streaming Howard over the internet, i am screwed. My buddy said that Howard announced that should be coming soon, which is very cool, plus that subscription costs less.
As a subscriber, you can go to their website and stream their content on your computer for free, although Stern isn't on their website menu...yet.

Duds
01-12-2006, 12:09 PM
That idea is out the window now. I asked a computer guy here at work and he said it wouldnt be a good idea to stream it. This is not good.

As a subscriber, you can go to their website and stream their content on your computer for free, although Stern isn't on their website menu...yet.

KEXPMF
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Too bad Howard doesn't "podcast"
I think I'm going to wait and see if they start streaming it before I buy a radio.