The 17-inch Standard ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The 17-inch Standard ???

MasterCylinder
01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Ever since I began working in pro sound (1973) and ever since then with (not only pro sound but also with) hi-fi, all components were built to the width of 17 inches to conform to the general rack standards, whether they were put in a rack, or not.

So I get this really nice new DVD player (Harmon-Kardon DVD 31) for Christmas that is 17.5 inches -- what idiot engineer thought that this was a good idea ?

Have I missed something that changed the component world here ?

Davey
01-09-2006, 11:27 AM
So I get this really nice new DVD player (Harmon-Kardon DVD 31) for Christmas that is 17.5 inches -- what idiot engineer thought that this was a good idea ?
Sometimes good engineers find that they can make better products by not adhering to silly de facto standards. Or maybe they just measured wrong ;)

Yeah, I didn't really think there was much of a "standard" width anymore. Seems products are all over the place.

dean_martin
01-09-2006, 12:01 PM
The metric system?

richmon
01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I too thought this was a standard, bought a new Harmony audio rack, and came to find out my Conrad Johnson amp is 19 inches.
It don't fit, the rack max width is like 17.5.

I feel your pain.

Dusty Chalk
01-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I thought 19" was the standard...?

dean_martin
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought 19" was the standard for pro gear with rack mounts.

At some point it became popular in home audio to add rack mounts extending the 17" standard to 19" like pro audio. I think there is much more deviation in home audio now while pro audio adheres more strictly to its standard.

MasterCylinder
01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
OK you're right -- pro audio is 19 and hi-fi is 17........whatever it is, here's the rub:

My house has a built-in entertainment system (literally......the house came, brand new, with an entertainment system cabinet built in, as in recessed, into the wall of the great room) that will nicely house components and the shelving to do so is built in 17.5" widths.

My new H-K player just misses fitting in there by the proverbial ****hair. Why would the engineers decide that an additional fraction of an inch is acceptebly different from the rest of the world ?

I just think it is stupid as fukk -- can you tell I'm pissed ?
I really like this player too !!!

dean_martin
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey MC - if you think there's the slightest chance your built-in cabinet can be modified, you might try posting a pic in the tweaks, mods, diy forum or the home theater forum. Some pretty good shade tree carpenters hang out at the diy board and might have some ideas about how to make it fit.

caniac
01-09-2006, 06:16 PM
I know what you mean.

I got one of those Sony jukebox DVD players for Christmas and it's a half inch wider than my receiver. No problems as far as fitting into the entertainment unit, but it still drives me ****ing nuts.

3-LockBox
01-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I didn't really think there was much of a "standard" width anymore. Seems products are all over the place.

I've noticed this too...especially in the DVD player market. Maybe they're trying to appeal to differing senses of aestetic and tastes...."Here's a 'standard' one...ooh, this thin one looks so cool...oh, and here's one that'll match our mini sytem"

Hell, I don't even see seperate component systems (amp, pre-amp, tuners, EQs) at the places I used to seem them anymore.

Dusty Chalk
01-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Alternatively, you could try taking out the walls surrounding the built-in rack...(mod the player, mod the house...whichever's easier).

Just don't get a MF A308. That thing's a beast. Sounds great. Beastly size.