Advise please newbie ( Polk ) ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advise please newbie ( Polk ) ??

nick53
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi I am hoping for some advise on setting up a HT and wanted to have some nice towers to start with and maybe add on later since music is my primary concern. I am thinking about the Onyko 703 and was looking at JBL towers dual 8 or 10 but was able to hear them and was very disappointed in the sound which i thought was way too bright. They had a set of Polk towers next to the JBL speakers and I had them switch to those and feel in love with the sound only to find out they were the LSI-15 series at $1600 a pair. Well my budget is more like $300-$500 for a set of towers.
I have seen the Fluance SV10 and 938s and they sure do fit into the budget but have never heard them. Can anyone reccomend speakers of simular sound as Polk in lower price range. Or can the Polks be found for alot less somewhere? Thanks

markw
01-09-2006, 11:13 AM
... but if you can find the Athena Audition series, particularly the AS-F1, they are worth a listen. If not, then this place is pretty open about returns.

http://www.audioadvisor.com

caniac
01-09-2006, 06:11 PM
500 is not a lot for towers. If you're hell-bent on the trademark "Polk sound", the Monitor 50's are about 400 a pair. Obviously they're not in the same class as the LSi, but the Monitor series sounds pretty good to my ears.

You might be better off going with bookshelves. A good pair of bookshelves at the top end of your price range will beat just about any tower you can pick up for the same price. Matter of fact, most of the entry-level tower speakers I've listened to sound like nothing more than bigger versions of their companion bookshelves.

bjornb17
01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
For $500, you can probably get either the Polk Monitor 50s or 60s at circuit city. I have the monitor 70s and love them, and many people say the 60s are nearly as good. You could also get the RTi bookshelves instead. Either would be a good investment :)

calegrant
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
You're a prime candidate for the Athenas. They have an budget line and offer one with a single 8" woofer and one with dual 8'' woofers. My first towers were the AS-F1's and they were great. If you do not plan on running a sub they'll do great, I still have mine for a bedroom set-up.

GMichael
01-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Is CC still running their special on the Infinity Beta 50's?

bjornb17
01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Is CC still running their special on the Infinity Beta 50's?

They are back up to $379, but seem to be sold out just about everywhere, otherwise i would be owning them right now :P

Check out this authorized retailer for Infinity:

http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/HomeSpeakers.html

They have tremendous deals on betas. If you go to the infinity website you will see there that they are an actualy authorized retailer.