Acoustic foam/room treatments - help/opinions sought (N. Abstentia?) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic foam/room treatments - help/opinions sought (N. Abstentia?)

kexodusc
01-09-2006, 06:34 AM
I've come into possession of about 260 sq feet of acoustic foam absorbing tiles (and a few diffusers) to treat my home theater room and studio.
Kind of a sweet deal for me actually, I helped one of my band mates rebuild his recording studio, and made a few studio monitor speakers for him over my long December holidays. In exchange, he gave me an Auralex Roominator set and a bunch of extra foam tiles of different colors and sizes from a few other generic vendors, Sound Suckers, and the like. The Auralex kit is Burgundy and gray, I've got a bunch of other burgundy's and grey tiles too. And some lighter blues that I'll through in my studio room (where my guitars and 2-channel system are)

I know a few of you folks have used this stuff. I'm looking for any tips you might have on placement and installation. I figure behind the 1st reflection points for all speakers are most important. Then probably some treatment behind them? And the ceiling?

What about 2nd reflection points? Any other placement requirements?

For installation, I've got a bunch of the spray adhesive Auralex sells (and a ton of 3M adhesive, I think it's the same stuff?). Problem I have is my rooms are freshly painted and I'd rather not get the walls all gooey should I ever rearrange the room or move.

I was thinking of cardboard, but it might be too thick? Or bristol board or something? Any other good ways to tack this stuff to walls?

What have you guys all done? Any warnings?

Wireworm5
01-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I use mine to cover the bottom half of the room. I have them leaning against the walls. It is not visually appealing the way I have it, but its for audio and its my room. Trust me, you don't want to glue this stuff directly to the wall. If you change your audio room you want to take this stuff as well and it will leave a mess behind when you try to remove them from the walls. If you want to hang them on the walls I would glue them to a thin wood backing and then tack em up.
I've read people use them at the reflection points but using them all along the bottom half of room works for me. I notice that the sound becomes more focused and you are better able to hear detail in music. However the difference is marginal but it does make a difference. By leaving the top portion uncovered I still maintain the liviliness of the room. So just experiment with it and see what you think works best.

dmb_fan
01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
I figure behind the 1st reflection points for all speakers are most important. Then probably some treatment behind them? And the ceiling?

You're exactly right. In order of importance: 1) first reflection points 2) the wall behind the speakers 3) large reflective bare walls (and your ceiling is the largest of these).

Definitely take advantage of Auralex's expertise by surfing their website for placement recommendations. Note, however, that most of these recommendations are based on setting up a recording studio or a mastering table, so you'll have to use common sense to adjust for hi-fi.

Generally speaking, flat foam will do best scattered randomly with a concentration toward the middle of the walls, near ear level, and away from corners. It's really only style that requires a pattern. For use in a hi-fi listening room, you'll want to pay special attention to initial reflection points to stop them from detracting from imaging and special attention to other bare spots at the tweeter/ear level for the same reason.

I was thinking of cardboard, but it might be too thick? Or bristol board or something? Any other good ways to tack this stuff to walls?.

You might try these: http://truesoundcontrol.com/products/TEMPTAB.html

I'm jealous! The stereo room is also the living room at my place, so the wife isn't about to let me turn it into a padded cell (even if she thinks I belong in one). You should notice a significant improvement.

Don't forget to report the results. With photos! :)

Have fun,
Adam

kexodusc
01-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Hmm, velcro, eh? Would the adhesive backing on these velcro things be any better on my walls than adhesive spray? Well, at least they'd only be at the corners/contact points....think I like that approach better than spraying goop all over my walls.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Hmm, velcro, eh? Would the adhesive backing on these velcro things be any better on my walls than adhesive spray? Well, at least they'd only be at the corners/contact points....think I like that approach better than spraying goop all over my walls.

My experience with velcro had me repainting the wall. The adhesive took the paint off the wall when I tried to remove it.

01-10-2006, 06:57 AM
I've come into possession of about 260 sq feet of acoustic foam absorbing tiles (and a few diffusers) to treat my home theater room and studio.
Kind of a sweet deal for me actually, I helped one of my band mates rebuild his recording studio, and made a few studio monitor speakers for him over my long December holidays. In exchange, he gave me an Auralex Roominator set and a bunch of extra foam tiles of different colors and sizes from a few other generic vendors, Sound Suckers, and the like. The Auralex kit is Burgundy and gray, I've got a bunch of other burgundy's and grey tiles too. And some lighter blues that I'll through in my studio room (where my guitars and 2-channel system are)

I know a few of you folks have used this stuff. I'm looking for any tips you might have on placement and installation. I figure behind the 1st reflection points for all speakers are most important. Then probably some treatment behind them? And the ceiling?

What about 2nd reflection points? Any other placement requirements?

For installation, I've got a bunch of the spray adhesive Auralex sells (and a ton of 3M adhesive, I think it's the same stuff?). Problem I have is my rooms are freshly painted and I'd rather not get the walls all gooey should I ever rearrange the room or move.

I was thinking of cardboard, but it might be too thick? Or bristol board or something? Any other good ways to tack this stuff to walls?

What have you guys all done? Any warnings?

Start with the wall behind your speaker. Then to your side walls. Cover the side wall from the floor to about 1-3ft above the speaker at every reflection point. The more sidewall cover you have, the better the imaging will be. Do not over cover though

The ceiling should be diffusive. This keeps everything sounding open, and can reduce somewhat the floor to ceiling room mode.

The area around the surround speakers should be diffusive to enhance spaciousness. This is especially true if you use monopoles. The area behind the listening position from the floor to just slightly above the head should be dead. From above the head and higher should be diffusive.

N. Abstentia
01-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah good advice so far. Like Worm said if you don't want to put them directly on the walls then get some thin wood and cut out backings for them then hang them just like a painting. I was going to do this myself but went the 'stuck right to the wall' route in the end because I won't be moving anything (when your screen is painted on the wall it's kinda permanent!).

Don't forget about the back wall also, although it should really be diffused and not absorbed so don't go overboard on the back. You don't want it TOO dead.

kexodusc
01-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Yeah good advice so far. Like Worm said if you don't want to put them directly on the walls then get some thin wood and cut out backings for them then hang them just like a painting. I was going to do this myself but went the 'stuck right to the wall' route in the end because I won't be moving anything (when your screen is painted on the wall it's kinda permanent!).

Don't forget about the back wall also, although it should really be diffused and not absorbed so don't go overboard on the back. You don't want it TOO dead.

Good point there...maybe a center channel reflection spot. For diffusing (is that even a word) the sound, I know Auralex sells those diffuser panels as well, but would there be any benefit to using the normal wedge tiles? Maybe spaced apart or something? I've got enough of this stuff as is, I'd hate to buy more.

BTW, your HT room looks wicked! I gotta get myself a new digital camera (last one fell into the Atlantic Ocean somewhere off the coast of Maine when I was chasing a whale. What's up with the Palm trees?

01-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Actually, if you diffuse the backwall at ear level and below, you will hender imaging coming from the front of the room. Diffusion should not be at ear level, it should be above the head. The lower half of the wall should be dead to keep imaging tight. All of this is room dependent, and taste dependent. A dead backwall will also somewhat dampen the front to rear room mode at higher frequencies.

Wireworm5
01-10-2006, 11:16 AM
I was thinking also that by using a thin back panel for these acoustic panels. You could cover them with fabric that you can buy cheap from at a fabric store. Wrap it around the foam and staple it to the wood. This would make them more visually appealing in a living room, but maybe this would effect the acoustic properties.
As for velcro, I actually bought a whole spool of the stuff as I was going to velcro the panels to the wall. Using just enough velcro to hold the weight, but being the lazy %#@ that I am I have never got around to finishing the job.

dmb_fan
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
This would make them more visually appealing in a living room, but maybe this would effect the acoustic properties.

He might use speaker grill cloth from partsexpress.com or madisound.com, assuming that it comes in more attractive colors than auralex.s I once saw a site with speaker grill cloth in a bunch of shades of brown, black, beige, tope, white etc. but I can't seem to find the site anymore.