Memoirs of a Geisha.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Memoirs of a Geisha....

Worf101
01-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Oh my Gawd!!!! After an hour I was ready to cock the .45 and put it in my mouth. Got drug to this by the ole lady and boy does she owe me one big one. Not bad as "Terms of Endearment" but right up there. If you want to see how pissy women can be, this is the one to see. Cat fight for the ages... and not a breast to be seen anywhere. Lots of tears, lots of women being bought, sold, pimped and abused all to the backdrop of the rape of Nanking and the invasion of the home islands by the U.S. And those historic events are only thrown in by an occasional reference on the radio. No subtitles all in English which is fine but when Americans show up they speak English like the film was set in Jersey!!!!

Good God, avoid if you can. Women will like the *****iness men will marvel at the stupidity of it all...

Da Worfster :eek:

Kam
01-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Oh my Gawd!!!! After an hour I was ready to cock the .45 and put it in my mouth. Got drug to this by the ole lady and boy does she owe me one big one. Not bad as "Terms of Endearment" but right up there. If you want to see how pissy women can be, this is the one to see. Cat fight for the ages... and not a breast to be seen anywhere. Lots of tears, lots of women being bought, sold, pimped and abused all to the backdrop of the rape of Nanking and the invasion of the home islands by the U.S. And those historic events are only thrown in by an occasional reference on the radio. No subtitles all in English which is fine but when Americans show up they speak English like the film was set in Jersey!!!!

Good God, avoid if you can. Women will like the *****iness men will marvel at the stupidity of it all...

Da Worfster :eek:

i agree with you completely, accept for the first sentence. for some reason (actually, i know why) i didnt totally hate the movie, but thought it was ok. yeah, the story was pretty schlocky, and from what i've heard (as usual) the book is thousand times better, and what they seemed to do is this: the magic of the book, was that you'd never guess a middle-aged white guy from the midwest was writing in the first person narrative about a geisha in 30's japan. from the movie, i wasnt surprised at all to hear that. but, in spite of that, i thought it was just ok. that reason being - zhang ziyi. :)

noddin0ff
01-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Probably won't be able to stand the movie either, but the book was excellent. Question is...Did your wife like it?