essential German films? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : essential German films?

Gerald Cooperberg
01-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Greetings; this is my first time posting. I'm interested to know if anyone has reccommendations for films in German or from Germany. My girlfriend is fluent and very interested in the culture, and we're always interested in renting German movies, but I confess that I'm ignorant as to what the 'classics' are. I'm a big fan of the Kinski/Herzog stuff I've seen like Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo, and we've checked out some older films-- a few Fritz Lang titles (Metropolis, M, Scarlet Street) and The Blue Angel as well as a couple of contemporary ones like Run Lola Run, Funny Games, and The Edukators, but that's really as far as we've gotten. Are there any obvious ones we should rent? What are some German films that you've seen and enjoyed?

thanks in advance,
Coop

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-08-2006, 06:22 PM
The most popular German movie that I know of is Das Boot. Both version I have owned had the original german language with english subtitles. The superbit version has the german language, the Dts soundtrack and the best picture. Shoah by Claude Lanzmann is also pretty good, alibiet rather long and drawn out.

paul_pci
01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I highly recommend Downfall. It's about Hitler's final weeks/days in the buniker. Tremendous film. It's a bit long, but oh so captivating. I couldn't get the movie out of my head for a week.

Worf101
01-08-2006, 08:06 PM
"Downfall" - Most recent about Hitler and his cronies... Great acting

"All Quiet on the Western Front" - The German version is amazing and still stunning.

"City of Angles" I think is what it's called. The original that inspired the American remake about Angels and one's decision to become human for love.

"Da Boot" - The only U-Boat movie worth seeing. So compelling you wind up rooting for the Nazi's... almost.

"Stalingrad" - WWIII again... wild flick about German soldiers stuck in that hellhole.

That's all I can say off the top of my head.. Go to the IMDB and do a search....

Da Worfster

noddin0ff
01-09-2006, 07:29 AM
You can try Netflix's Foreign:German (http://www.netflix.com/SubGenre?sgid=331&pgid=326&strkid=30197473_0_0)

I liked Run Lola Run (http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=22498178&trkid=189530&strkid=10916848_0_0) great soundtrack, hot chick (if you like the punk look), a little existentialism, humor, and a lot of running.

Gerald Cooperberg
01-13-2006, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'd forgotten about Das Boot. We'll definitely check some of these out.

Coop

Gerald Cooperberg
01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
We just watched Downfall the other night. I thought it was great. Sometimes I feel like war movies have only so many ways to be told, but I appreciated the mood & intensity of this one. We also watched another German film from last year, Head-On. Both were worth the rental.

paul_pci
01-24-2006, 08:01 PM
We just watched Downfall the other night. I thought it was great. Sometimes I feel like war movies have only so many ways to be told, but I appreciated the mood & intensity of this one. We also watched another German film from last year, Head-On. Both were worth the rental.

Glad you liked Downfall; it's a really intense film.

wayner86
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I recommend Das Boot also, its a well made movie worth watching.

Bernd
01-25-2006, 05:00 AM
I highly recommend Downfall. It's about Hitler's final weeks/days in the buniker. Tremendous film. It's a bit long, but oh so captivating. I couldn't get the movie out of my head for a week.

Yes that and "Das Boot" are great films. To my mind nothing has touched the quality of "Die Blechtrommel-The Tin Drum". That will stay with you for ever.Directed by Volker Schloendorff. A Masterpiece.

Bernd