Need help wiring my AVR (Sat giving me problems) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring my AVR (Sat giving me problems)

gixxerific
01-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Mainly tring to get my AVR (Denon) to display the menus on screen, just messing around really.

First off I have an older TV with only Composite video inputs (that's the red,white and yellow connections correct I still get Composite and Component confused name wise). I have an S-vid cable going from my DVD to AVR than Composite auido cables from DVD to AVR. I also have a composite video cable [(single yellow) I know there is no gain this way but...] from AVR to TV. Everything there works dandy vid comes out and audio is directed to AVR only (the previous setup had audio routed to TV thus allowing the TV remote to control volume).

Problem here is I can't get the vid signal from Satelite (DBS) to TV. Audio yes but no vid. Same hook up as above S-Vid from DBS to AVR than Compsoite vid to TV yet no video. Is it neccesary to have the coax from DBS to TV in order to have video, or what am I doing wrong.

I hope I explained this good enough.
Thanks

paul_pci
01-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Mainly tring to get my AVR (Denon) to display the menus on screen, just messing around really.

First off I have an older TV with only Composite video inputs (that's the red,white and yellow connections correct I still get Composite and Component confused name wise). I have an S-vid cable going from my DVD to AVR than Composite auido cables from DVD to AVR. I also have a composite video cable [(single yellow) I know there is no gain this way but...] from AVR to TV. Everything there works dandy vid comes out and audio is directed to AVR only (the previous setup had audio routed to TV thus allowing the TV remote to control volume).

Problem here is I can't get the vid signal from Satelite (DBS) to TV. Audio yes but no vid. Same hook up as above S-Vid from DBS to AVR than Compsoite vid to TV yet no video. Is it neccesary to have the coax from DBS to TV in order to have video, or what am I doing wrong.

I hope I explained this good enough.
Thanks

Generally speaking, you cannot mix and match video connections in this way with the exception of up-conversion that some receivers offer, but what you're attempting to do is more like down conversion. Basically, if you have composite video going from the receiver to the TV, then you need the same composite video connection going from the sat receiver to your a/v receiver. While it seems to work for your DVD, my guess is that the sat receiver is not putting up with this mix and match.

gixxerific
01-07-2006, 06:01 PM
My AVR does do upconversion. Not really sure if the DBS even has composite out, I would think it should, I know it has component out I will go check this out directly.

Thanks, Dono

gixxerific
01-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Okay now it's hooked up with composite cable DBS to AVR than single vid cable from AVR to TV. Now I'm able to acces the AVR's menu but the TV has the "Video" flag (for lack of better terms) on the screen. I can't seem to get rid of it. I haven't messed with it much yet I will try again tommorow. It's late and the beers are stating to effect me.

Any ideas on this. I will think about it tonight and work on it tommorow, I might just have to hookit up the way it was. If I can remeber how that was. :D

Mr Peabody
01-15-2006, 10:19 PM
S-video and composite are both analog 480i and should be compatible. On receivers where you have a choice of several video inputs you have to go into your menu and assign which input you are using, did you do that? You do not have to have the RF coax going from your satelite to TV unless it was for viewing without the receiver on.

I've gone from using video switching in my processor, I just go directly to the TV. Most TV's these days have several inputs and it's not that big a deal to use the TV remote to switch, if it is, then you could program the receivers remote to operate the TV or vise versa. Another plus is not needing as many cables and one less thing in the signal path.