I've HAD IT with these database errors! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I've HAD IT with these database errors!

Woochifer
01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I have not complained about the new format and the various changes that have gone into these forums. But, all of the random outages that have occurred this past week have really got me ticked off. It's understandable that software bugs occur, but when these database errors occur, what I had written in a post reply gets dumped and I cannot recover what I wrote! Is there any way of letting us know that you're experiencing difficulties WITHOUT ERASING what we had written?

This has now happened three times the past few days, and I'm not at all happy about it. Websites go down all the time, but when they take what I'd written down with them and provide no way to recover what I wrote, then that's just poor implementation and inexcusable IMO. With the old site, if something went amuck, at least I could click back and wait for the site to go back up and then try posting again.

Chris
01-28-2004, 12:15 PM
We can't possibly always know when things are going to go in the crapper - so I'll suggest to you what I do myself when I write out a long thought out message (as I've had the very same thing happen to me here on this site as well as other sites). Just do a "control-C" and copy all the text of your message just before you hit the submit button. It's easy insurance so you can just click the back button and paste your message into the form again without losing anything. I know it's not the ideal solution, but it's a work around.

We're trying to get all the wrinkles ironed out, and these problems may occur from time to time. We hope to be able to limit these errors as time goes on. I hope this helps....

Woochifer
01-28-2004, 06:03 PM
We can't possibly always know when things are going to go in the crapper - so I'll suggest to you what I do myself when I write out a long thought out message (as I've had the very same thing happen to me here on this site as well as other sites). Just do a "control-C" and copy all the text of your message just before you hit the submit button. It's easy insurance so you can just click the back button and paste your message into the form again without losing anything. I know it's not the ideal solution, but it's a work around.

We're trying to get all the wrinkles ironed out, and these problems may occur from time to time. We hope to be able to limit these errors as time goes on. I hope this helps....

After losing three posts to those errors, I've made it standard practice to copy my replies before posting. It hasn't happened lately, so I appreciate the work you guys have done. But, my main gripe was that even if I hit the back button, I lost my entire post with no way to recover what I wrote when those database errors occurred. So, since that happens on occasion, your advice is very well heeded.