Anyone planning on seeing Hostel? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning on seeing Hostel?

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2006, 02:40 PM
It looks a little too intense for my eyes, but I have to admit that I'm curious. Quentin Tarantino is one weird human being.

dean_martin
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Read a review in the paper this morning that basically said the violence is very graphic. It was a positive review, however. I'm not sure how hands-on Tarantino was in the making of the film. The director is Eli Roth who directed Cabin Fever (which I haven't seen). But I gathered from what I read that perhaps Tarantino's biggest influence is that the camera doesn't shy away from gritty/gruesome subject matter. Imagine seeing even more of the "ear" scene in Reservoir Dogs over and over again - of course I'm speculating.

I thought I saw Tarantino's name associated with Wolf Creek that's out now also. Seems like its in the same genre. I might have to get to the bottom of this. Tarantino may be preparing for the ultimate homage to the slasher genre or to the Italian Giallo. That will be worth seeing, but I don't think it's either of these films. Surely he'll direct it himself and maybe give himself a cameo or bit part.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2006, 07:41 PM
That ear scene haunted my memory for days, after seeing it.

Kam
01-07-2006, 08:42 PM
i think the tarantino moniker is more of a marketing ploy than an indication of creative input. much like tarantino did with Hero, in helping to bring it over to the us audience, for whatever reason, he liked this idea and helped the director get the movie made, hence the very clear "executive producer" title card that appears in the credits and not the typical "from the people who brough you kill bill, pulp fiction, reservoir dogs" which connotates the creative involvement and production of the film. i think (and am trying to find out, so dont quote me on it) that tarantino's involvement was pretty much to help raise the money to make the movie and that's it. i dont think he had creative input or creative control over this project, but that's just by going on the credits and what little i've read about the movie.

all that aside, am defn not going to be seeing it. i love horror, but am more a fan of the supernatural horror type movies rather than the grindhouse type horror, with the original texas chainsaw being the only exception to the rule for me. just something about humans torturing other humans for s#its and giggles that doesnt really do anything for me other than gross me out. and trying to be more graphic, or the most graphic act of violence is about as interesting as the most physically, photorealistic cgi spaceship. they're both pretty useless without a good story (not that i know whether this does or doesnt have a good story, but it sure seems they are pushing the brutality of human endurance/torture angle more than anything else.).

for me, the best part, and most powerful part, of that scene in pulp fiction was you didnt see it happen.

just me two cents, going back to my own personal 108 minute countdown. :D