Would it be dumb [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Would it be dumb

Duds
01-06-2006, 08:10 AM
to buy a Denon 2910 right now if it would be used mainly for audio purposes since i dont really watch many movies?

edtyct
01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Why do you ask? Are you getting an offer too good to refuse (that is, too good to refuse without making sure)? It's certainly a good-sounding universal player, and when you do decide to watch movies, you'll be well covered. How much is the price? Do you intend to use it for SA-CDs and/or DVD-As?

Duds
01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
well i'm using a borrowed hunk of crap dvd player right now, and would like to get into SACD. No special offers though. i'm wondering if the price will drop since the new models are starting to surface?

I've been reading a lot of reviews on universal players, this one seems to get the best reviews in the price range i can afford.

Why do you ask? Are you getting an offer too good to refuse (that is, too good to refuse without making sure)? It's certainly a good-sounding universal player, and when you do decide to watch movies, you'll be well covered. How much is the price? Do you intend to use it for SA-CDs and/or DVD-As?

edtyct
01-06-2006, 08:55 AM
It's a good'un. I've seen it priced anywhere from high $400s to mid-$500s--mostly the latter and up, unless refurbished.

L.J.
01-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I've been enjoying mine for about a year now. It's an excellent unit.

Duds
01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm going to check with my old boss who has connections at Denon, he just got that monster receiver of theirs for like half the suggested price, so maybe he can hook me up with a 2910.

It's a good'un. I've seen it priced anywhere from high $400s to mid-$500s--mostly the latter and up, unless refurbished.

topspeed
01-07-2006, 10:30 PM
to buy a Denon 2910 right now if it would be used mainly for audio purposes since i dont really watch many movies?
I bought mine mainly for audio purposes, not video. There are plenty of less expensive players that offer equal, if not superior PQ, such as Panny (and without the slight macroblocking the Faroudja chipset produces on certain displays). However, on the audio side, most others fall short of the excellent dacs and processing the 2910 employs. Hi-rez sounds absolutely terrific! It's a lot of player for not a lot of $.

EdwardGein
01-08-2006, 12:13 AM
If Cd's sound better on it then other DVD players, then no. If Cd's don't sound better on it, then why spend all that money. You can get an excellent sounding Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player new online for $250. Whatever you do, connect your audio DVD by optic cable.

anamorphic96
01-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Why would you want to use an optical cable with a player like the 2910 ? It has DAC's that make some receivers and CD players look bad.

Why bypass all this with an optical connection. You would then be listening to the receiver and or processor not the Denon 2910. In a case like this when music is his concern the analogue connection's are the best way to go.

With your system Ed. Optical is probably the best way to go since you do alot of music and movie watching. Plus the HK is not a very high end player.(No offense. It's a good entry level player.) So the DAC's in your Denon are probably better.

EdwardGein
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm not offended. Each to their own. All I'm saying is, hwatever method, optical cable or analogue cables, if the due doesn't hear an improvement in sound quality from cheaper DVD players like the Harmon Kardon 31 or anything else, why buy it? If he hears a significant improvement then by all means buy it.

Duds
01-11-2006, 07:02 AM
I have a Marantz SR-7000 receiver.

Why would you want to use an optical cable with a player like the 2910 ? It has DAC's that make some receivers and CD players look bad.

Why bypass all this with an optical connection. You would then be listening to the receiver and or processor not the Denon 2910. In a case like this when music is his concern the analogue connection's are the best way to go.

With your system Ed. Optical is probably the best way to go since you do alot of music and movie watching. Plus the HK is not a very high end player.(No offense. It's a good entry level player.) So the DAC's in your Denon are probably better.

anamorphic96
01-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I would go analogue outputs in this case then. The 2910 probably has the better dacs in this case.

topspeed
01-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Duds,
You're going to have to use both optical and analog connections, so don't sweat it. You'll need 6 RCA's for your hi-rez and the optical for DTS/DD. Most receivers can switch between the two inputs at the flick of a button, so discovering which dac's you prefer isn't a big deal. Just listen to whichever you like. In my rig, the BB dac's are the same in both the 2910 and my avr, but I prefer RBCD's through my avr in Pure Direct because it has better bass management than the 2910.

As for the original question, it breaks down like this: While the 2910's video is excellent, you can get equal or perhaps better PQ (depending on your display) for the same or possibly less money. For audio, you'll need to spend considerably more $ to obtain clearly audible superiority.

Hope this helps.

Duds
01-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey Top

Thanks for the info.

The last paragraph leads me to believe the 2910 is the unit for me. As I said in my original post, i dont watch many movies at all, so I think it would work perfectly for when the occasional movie or concert dvd is thrown in.

Many thanks to all!

Duds,
You're going to have to use both optical and analog connections, so don't sweat it. You'll need 6 RCA's for your hi-rez and the optical for DTS/DD. Most receivers can switch between the two inputs at the flick of a button, so discovering which dac's you prefer isn't a big deal. Just listen to whichever you like. In my rig, the BB dac's are the same in both the 2910 and my avr, but I prefer RBCD's through my avr in Pure Direct because it has better bass management than the 2910.

As for the original question, it breaks down like this: While the 2910's video is excellent, you can get equal or perhaps better PQ (depending on your display) for the same or possibly less money. For audio, you'll need to spend considerably more $ to obtain clearly audible superiority.

Hope this helps.