Non-expensive, nicely terminated speaker cable ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Non-expensive, nicely terminated speaker cable ?

Sweet Spot
01-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi everyone, I'm basically tying up some loose ends before making the final purchase of my new audio gear and have come to the speaker cable portion of the purchase.

I'm not a believer in the hype behind expensive cables, and only prescribe to the very standard beliefs which can be proven as fact. Eg; wire can oxidize causing degredation in signal quality; gauge of wire vs. length of run and basic build quality. I was thinking about doing a DIY job, but lost interest because I'm just too busy and wouldn't have the time/patience for the job anyway.

My conclusion though, is that I'd like to buy speaker cable which is in decent enough housing and is terminated with banana plugs. All of my equipment is currently pretty close to each other, but I'm buying a new A/V center/rack, and that might change, but I'd like to think it will be the same for precautionary measures. Reason being, I guess I should look for a set of cables which are protected from noise/interference too.

Now, I've read about Cobalt and Monster cables, which seem to be the cheapest in terms of what I'm looking for, and the Cobalt seem to be a bit nicer aesthetically speaking, but are there any other brands which I should be looking at, which are within the same price range ? Though good build quality is a must, I'm not looking for ones which are said to have superior technology, because I'm not buying the hype surrounding the industry.

So what do you guys say ? Thanks.

Doug

Sweet Spot
01-06-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm also currrently looking at the blue jeans cable line, which seems to offer very good prices for terminated Belden and Canarie speaker cable. Has anybody here bought from these guys, and if so, what do you think about their cables ? Radio Shack sells Monster Cable basically, which are actually more expensive than these, and if Blue Jean cables are of better build quality, or equal, I might as well just pony up right ?

Doug.

JohnMichael
01-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Take a look at www.parts-express.com for their Dayton speaker cables. They are about $38. for a 10 ft pair of 14 gauge cables. They are good sounding with well attached banana plugs. Very sturdy jackets covering the cables,

Mike Anderson
01-08-2006, 10:44 AM
You might want to check out Speltz's "anti-cables":

http://www.anticables.com/home.html

They're comparatively inexpensive, and everyone who hears them says they're the ****. Can be terminated in banana plugs or spades.

I just ordered a set for myself, will let you know how I like em.

Sweet Spot
01-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Thank you John and Mike, I will check both of those sites out. I'm so bummed, the receiver I want to buy is out of stock at the moment (Outlaw RR2150), but this leaves me more time to ponder the cables and turntable at least.

Doug

Edit:

Checked both. I'll probably go with the Dayton's. (I think) The Anti Cables, look pretty nice, but I sense a bit of flash and pizazz in their anti marketing scheme, which is amusingly ironic. But besides that, I think banana plugs are a bit more convenient than spades, and paying more for bananas along with $10 per foot, seems less appealing than a solid 10 feet at $40 solid.

Though of course, the less the run (5 feet might be good too) the better, and it's only ten bucks more for the anti cables, but I'd have to settle for spades. As far as sound quality goes between the two, that's just a toss up to me at this point.

Edit agian:

This might sound stupid, but, when ordering cables and the quantity is a "pair" is that a pair as in two, or a pair as in the unit as a whole, meaning one ? A pair in ordinary terms usually means one, as in a pair of jeans, or a pair of pliars etc... But looking at the anti cable site, it says: "1 foot Stereo set = $25" When I look at the word "set" I automatically think of two pair, to complete a "set". I guess though, that it's for ONE pair, and not two, correct ?

Kaboom
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
okay, think about it this way. a PAIR means two. A pair of pants is just a pair because it has two legs, likewise a pair of pliers.
A pair of interconnects is ONE set, so what you need to connect both the RIGHT and the LEFT channels between two pieces of equipment.
a PAIR of speaker cables is basically the same as a pair of interconnects, what you need to connect both channels between ur amp and your speakers.
To help you, think of each channel as a signal and a ground wire. you need TWO wires to make the signal travel, so two wires per channel. Since these are usually bound together, it makes ONE cable with TWO wires per channel, therefore a PAIR of cables is what you need to connect both channels.
Usually, set and pair are interchangeable in interconnect and speaker cables.
Although i'm not too sure it did, i hope this helped clarify your doubts.
cheers!

Sweet Spot
01-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks kaboom. Those thoughts were pretty much along the lines of what was logical to me as well, but just wanted to be sure, and I appreciate your clarification in these matters.

So now it's just a matter of which I think are "nicer" for me. Thanks again.

Doug

Mr Peabody
01-31-2006, 05:46 PM
A high end dealer recommended these to me for a good bang for the buck cable. He says they compare to cables costing $15.00 a foot. I haven't heard them yet but plan to buy a pair for my second system. He recommended the Red Dragon at www.soundlinkwire.com.

zepman1
02-01-2006, 11:10 AM
If you really want to save some money, you can make your own cables just like the ones sold by Bluejeans cable. You can buy the Belden 5000up 12 ga. speaker wire at Westlake-electronic by the foot for $0.25/ft. In fact I prefer this to the cable used by Bluejeanscable - it is the same but more flexible. Buy your own gold plated banana plugs and heat shrink tubing and you're set to go. You can pour snake oil on them if you are so inclined, otherwise they sound pretty good without it too.

nightflier
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not a believer in the hype behind expensive cables, and only prescribe to the very standard beliefs which can be proven as fact. Eg; wire can oxidize causing degredation in signal quality; gauge of wire vs. length of run and basic build quality. I was thinking about doing a DIY job, but lost interest because I'm just too busy and wouldn't have the time/patience for the job anyway.

You might want to give the Mapleshade Golden Helix a try. They are supposed to be really high quality and revealing. I have a set on order myself.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/audiocables_main.php

Mr Peabody
02-15-2006, 06:28 PM
The Helix looks good and they make a good case for them. I plan to try a pair instead of the Soundlink. I could also use a pair of their long lengths of speaker wire for my rears.

nightflier
02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
The Helix looks good and they make a good case for them. I plan to try a pair instead of the Soundlink. I could also use a pair of their long lengths of speaker wire for my rears.

Mr.P.,

I was wondering if you had received yours yet. How do they sound?

Mine are being tested at a friend's house so I don't have them to play with yet (I owed him that since I have a lot of his gear at my place right now).

Mr Peabody
02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
No, unfortunately I haven't. I'm trying to pay off some prior hi fi outlays first. Please let me know your impressions.