Satellite/Sub "Bose" type systems for <$800 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Satellite/Sub "Bose" type systems for <$800

twwesn
01-16-2004, 12:39 PM
I know I DO NOT want Bose but my wife wants the Bose style of speakers (mounted off the floor with no VISIBLE wires). Will be playing 70/30 movies/music. Any good recommendations for systems in that $800 range. Systems I've been considering include the Infinity Modulus, PSB Alpha series, the Paradigm Cinema HT, and HTD Level 2 series or Middies. I should mention that I have Infinity SM 82s (kinda big to mount and weigh 23lbs) as my fronts and RS1's as my rears (only 10" high and easily mountable). Should I just keep my RS1's and get something else for my fronts and center or get a whole new system??

Bryan
01-16-2004, 01:11 PM
There are no systems that sound good that are completely wireless. All will have either speaker wire and/or power cords (unless you wish to change the batteries often).

However, you may be interested in the Gallo Micros (should be available locally) or the HSU Ventriloquist (http://www.hsuresearch.com) with either the STF-2 or VTF-2 sub or the Rocket Tyke (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=36.1). The Rocket ELT (http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13) system goes for $899 plus shipping but may be out of your price range.

Willow
01-19-2004, 06:46 AM
you can listen to energy take 5 , PSB, polk... they will all have wires but they can be hidden in the speaker stands and then under carpets or behind base boards...

manek
01-19-2004, 09:05 PM
if you like your infinity speakers just get a matching infinity centre or any other infinity speaker you like.

Timbre matching is very important.....AVOID bose.

twwesn
01-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Update:
After numerous days spent researching on the internet I have narrowed my search down (somewhat) to the following.

Infinity Modulus $750 approx. on ebay (refurbs)
Polk RM6700 w/Polk 303 sub $599 on Ebay
Energy Take 5.2 no sub $400 approx on Ebay
Paradigm Cinema 90 with 10" sub $906 locally
HomeTheaterDirect Level 2 w/sub $599 online
HSU Ventriloquist w/VFT-2 sub $700 online

Of these, which would you go with for the money?? Or would I be better off (I know it would be cheaper) to just buy another set of Infinity RS1's to match my existing rears, add a good sub for under $300, and maybe upgrade my center from the CC1 to somthing else. I know my wife would like the smaller speakers. My one complaint of my system (other than the fact that they're on stands) is that dialogue is difficult to hear at times and I continuously play with the volume control on my receiver. My receiver is the Onkyo 474. I guess other than an opinion on purchasing one of the above systems, I'm wondering if they will be an upgrade from what I've already got? Sorry for the rambling on.

acqui
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
I would consider either the Modulus or Energy Take 5.2. My friend has the Modulus and it's very impressive for the price, especially the sub performance. www.acousticsounddesign.com has it on sale, brand new, for about $900 I believe. You can also try www.spearitsound.com

Bryan
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Update:
After numerous days spent researching on the internet I have narrowed my search down (somewhat) to the following.

Infinity Modulus $750 approx. on ebay (refurbs)
Polk RM6700 w/Polk 303 sub $599 on Ebay
Energy Take 5.2 no sub $400 approx on Ebay
Paradigm Cinema 90 with 10" sub $906 locally
HomeTheaterDirect Level 2 w/sub $599 online
HSU Ventriloquist w/VFT-2 sub $700 online

Of these, which would you go with for the money?? Or would I be better off (I know it would be cheaper) to just buy another set of Infinity RS1's to match my existing rears, add a good sub for under $300, and maybe upgrade my center from the CC1 to somthing else. I know my wife would like the smaller speakers. My one complaint of my system (other than the fact that they're on stands) is that dialogue is difficult to hear at times and I continuously play with the volume control on my receiver. My receiver is the Onkyo 474. I guess other than an opinion on purchasing one of the above systems, I'm wondering if they will be an upgrade from what I've already got? Sorry for the rambling on.

Have you calibrated the receiver? If so, the problem could well be the dialog is recorded at different volume levels. Lord of the Rings, for example, isn't recorded at the same level as Pirates of the Carribean. If not, that is the first thing you should do prior to replacing any gear.

As for speakers, you can get the HSU set you mentioned for $660 delivered. Take the other $140, save some more, and then buy a newer receiver. After that you can relegate your present Onkyo to bedroom duty with your Infinities.

twwesn
01-22-2004, 10:26 AM
I am going to get a new receiver, probably the Yamaha 1400 or the Denon 2804. Thanks for your inputs, but would still like to see some more opinions!!

hearingimpaired
01-31-2004, 01:09 PM
I recently purchased the ORB's Mod 2's with the super 8 sub for 629.00. I believe you will be hard pressed to find a better sat/sub speaker system for any amount of money.

Free 30 day in home audition. My wife is very much like yours and that is the biggest reason I auditioned these speakers. My Mod 2's consist of 2 small metal spheres which are white enamel enclosing (2) 3.5" drivers. The sub is a compact 12"x12" 8" driver powered by a 230 amp. I literally have this hidden in my entertainment center pointing towards the corner of the room and the bass is impressive.

I started with the 2.1 system and will expand to the 5.1 when I get the HT ready.

Needless to say the wife is pleased from the esthetic point of view and I am pleased from the sonic point of view. In my humble opinion this little system really is the around ticket for esthetics, sound quality, and price performance.

46minaudio
01-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Go to BB listen to a pair of Athene ASB1s 540$ for 6..HSU STF 2 for $399..A little over but with the HSU STF 2 its a good bang for the buck system.If the ASB1s are to large check this 5.1 Athena out...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHP5SYS&product_name=Point%205%20Complete%20Home%20Theater %20System%20-%20Gloss%20Black

thepogue
01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
small and cheap....and sound very good for the price...

good luck

Pogue

joel2762
02-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Would you like fries with that? :D ....I'd go with the Take 5, Great Sound, Great Quality, Great Price...