My Mixed UnScientific Results of Monster Cable HTS 3500 Power Conditioner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Mixed UnScientific Results of Monster Cable HTS 3500 Power Conditioner

EdwardGein
01-05-2006, 08:30 PM
This arrived today via Amazon.com & only took 2 days to arrive by UPS Standard shipping about a week ahead of schedule. Anyway, after playing it a few hours I've decided to keep it as opposed to my thinking earlier. Basically, it somehow made my already excellent HD picture even crisper. At first I thought it was my imagination but I used tonights episode of CSI which I recorded on my HD DVR as a basis of picture comparison & when the TV was plugged into the 8500 conditioner it definately looked richer then when plugged into my HT80 Surge Protector which I have been using. I repeated playing the same segments back to back on the 8500 & 80 & there definately was an improvement from an already excellent HD picture when plugged into the 8500. Right now & I'm going to have to evaluate it longer in regards to audio. I'm going to keep both the 8500 for the picture the 80 for my receivers sound. Right now the sound is better on playing it on the 80 then playing it through the 8500. I'm going to do a more in depth comparison of the audio sound on the 8500 tommorow, so right now my evaluation is a work in progress.

bfalls
01-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Do you think it would be worth $150? There is a $50 rebate for this conditiner on Monster's website. I purchased one from an authorized Monster dealer on ebay. He provided free shipping and a $20 ebay coupon, so my final cost was $130. Compared to the $165 (also discounted) for the Monster HTS 2000 with only 2 stage filtering, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the tip using the CD outlet, I'll check it out tomorrow. One other thing I didn't understand is the AC sensing which is supposed to turn on the 3500 when the AV receiver is powered on. There is an AC cord which connects between the sensing connection on the 3500 and a switched outlet on your receiver. I can't get it to work following the owner's manual's instructions because the outlet the AV receiver is connected to on the 3500 is switched, so power isn't initially available to turn on the receiver. Your suggestion should resolve this problem.

EdwardGein
01-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I revised my initial evaluation of it as I may have been premature in what I originally said. My revised post is above. Right now I definately see an improvement in the HD TV Picture which somehow looks richer and more juiced up then before, a hotter crisper picture. My HD TV was a 2003 or 2004 Mitsubishi 48" Widescreen Rear Projector HDTV. I honestly was more than happy with the picture on it but somehow the 8500 improved on perfection. What I did to evaluate the picture was record tonights CSI in HD on my HD DVR which was plugged into my original surge protector (Monster HT800) & compared segments of CSI back to back with just the TV plugged into the 8500 & the 800 (where my receiver, etc. was already plugged in). So for this test, everything was plugged into my original 800 Surge Protector but after viewing a segment of CSI, I played the same segment back with the TV plugged out of the 800 and into the 8500. As I said there was a definate improvement. I actually was hoping that this was my imagination as I was hoping to return this & get most of my money back but the picture results were too significant to not want to keep this. Note, I'm a pretty perceptive person & I noticed a definate improvement- kind of like going from an A to A+ but someone who is more oblivious & is basically pleased with anything, might not notice an improvement.

Right now & maybe I'm doing something wrong is I have the 3500 plugged in but not at the remote setting and pushed all the buttons of it to on. So basically you are powering up or off the individual components (receiver, DVD, TV, DVR, etc.) though themselves not the 8500. I had this set up the same way with the HT 800. Right now, the audio sound is clearly not that wonderful when the receiver is plugged into the receiver slot in the analogue filter section and it actually sounds better when plugged into the CD slot in the digital filter section. I'm going to do more testing tommorow & Saturday & will try to post my definate info in regards to the audio sound.

Tarheel_
01-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I would compare the new Monster product against the wall outlet than comparing it against a surge protector. They (average surge protector) do more harm than good when dealing with quality.

in other words;
I'd be interested in plugging in your components directly into the wall verses the new power conditioner. Let us know.

EdwardGein
01-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Huh? Are you being funny? What's the point? The bottom line is at minimum this definately improves your HDTV picture from an A to an A+ on my 2003 HDTV, I'll have to evaluate the audio portion more today, but for improving my HDTV picture alone as well as functioning as a surge protector, this is definately worth the $165 I paid (after rebate).

If you weren't being funny, you can not plug your electrical equipment directly into a wall without a surge protector or your risking a total wipeout of your equipment.

zepman1
01-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I think you are at least slightly overstating the risks of not using a surge protecter. Not that I wouldn't use one, but the chances of ruining your equipment are slim in most cases unless you live in a 3rd world country.

Tarheel makes a good point. It is a better comparison to check the quality of picture/sound with the new Monster power conditioner against the wall outlet than to your current surge protector. Cheap surge protectors can decrease the quality of sound and video over just plugging your cords directly into the wall. The point is, the conditioner may not be doing anything, and your surge protector may be damaging your signal. Quite possibly a different surge protector would make the same improvement in picture etc for a lot less money.

EdwardGein
01-06-2006, 04:18 PM
All I know is about 5 years ago, I plugged my computer directly into my electric socket and within a year, and this wasn't even due to a thunderstorm as far as I know, there must of been some kind of electric brownout or whatever in my apartment because the computers hard drive was totally fried and it cost me $425 to replace at the time. I'm officially calling anyone who plugs electronic equipment like receivers, DVD's , subs, TVs, computers directly into a wall, a complete idiot.

noddin0ff
01-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I agree people should use surge protectors, but hard drives just die sometimes. Typically with out much warning. If it was an electrical problem, wouldn't that affect the motherboard instead?

anamorphic96
01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I'd say the hard drive just died. I have had a couple do this. Plus there is no way to prove it was a surge.

People like to blame things on surges and such when alot of times it's just an electrical or mechanical part failure. Surges rarely happen. Alot of people just like to shout out power surge when they have absolutlely no clue waht happened or why the device failed.

If they do happen they are in places with EXTREMELY unstable power. Like you would find in underdeveloped countries.

Just my 2 cents.

EdwardGein
01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
When this happened the computer couldn't even power on & when I got it fixed I remember they had to replace the hard drive and for all I know something else.

The point being is one is asking for trouble plugging something directly into a socket without protection & why take the chance? It's almost like not buying home insurance or something because you doubt something will happen.

Tarheel_
01-08-2006, 11:30 AM
everyone points to surge protectors....the cost of them is getting extremely high when you can call an electrican and have a 'whole house' surge protector installed for less than $500 bucks.

This protector sits between your incoming power and your home fuse panel. It works wonderful...going on 5 years in a heavy storm area without losing 1 component. Modems are another matter, but that's the phone line.

Anyway, instead of buying a high priced surge protector for ONE room, invest in protecting all your assets like all your applicances, HT system, etc....