How do you keep track of your DVD collection? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of your DVD collection?

Woochifer
01-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Keeping with L.J.'s discussion in the Favorite Films forum about how many DVDs we own, I'm curious as to who else on this forum keeps track of their DVD collection using the many websites and tools now available. It can be a humbling experiencing when you realize just how much money you've spent on DVDs! But, it's also rewarding because you can see how the different versions stack up against one another when you look up the titles on these DVD cataloging sites.

I've been cataloging my DVD library on the DVD Aficionado site, which I use primarily I'm a huge fan of Hong Kong films and that site has excellent coverage of foreign language DVDs. I know that L.J. has been using the DVD Spot website to track his collection. I've already cataloged about 400 DVDs, and I'm trying to populate my wish list right now and looking for ideas of what diamonds in the rough might be out there that I've overlooked.

So, if any of you have cataloged your collection, please share! The link to my collection is shown below.

westcott
01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey wooch.

I just go to the computer and log on to NetFlix!

Couldn't be easier.

paul_pci
01-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I use DVD Manager for the Mac, not an online do-hickie, but it does retrieve all the info from either Amazon or IMDB, so all I have to do is type in the title and it does the rest. I have about 117 titles, and yes it is humbling to say the least when you think of how much money is invested.

kexodusc
01-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Geez, I've only got a 160 or so DVD's as of October, not including music DVD's or TV series and such, just movies. (got a few more for my b-day Christmas, not sure how many)...thought I was doing well...400 - that's something else. Wow.

I don't think I want to know how much money I've spent on these. I have a copy of Battlefield Earth someone gave me a few years back, pains me to say that's in there.

L.J.
01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Wow, no one catalogs there DVD's huh? I guess I just have waaaaay too much time on my hands. I have family in AZ that's into HT and are movies buffs, and my brother has just took the leap in this excellent hobby. I spend alot of time discussing DVD's with everyone and it's pretty cool to be able to just send an email, with not only a list of my complete collection, but with detailed info on each DVD.

I'll put up another link to my very humble collection (http://www.dvdspot.com/member=LJay).

GMichael
01-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow, no one catalogs there DVD's huh? I guess I just have waaaaay too much time on my hands. I have family in AZ that's into HT and are movies buffs, and my brother has just took the leap in this excellent hobby. I spend alot of time discussing DVD's with everyone and it's pretty cool to be able to just send an email, with not only a list of my complete collection, but with detailed info on each DVD.

I'll put up another link to my very humble collection (http://www.dvdspot.com/member=LJay).

I just buy them and bring them home. Wifey has issues. She likes them in alphabetical order and rearranges them whenever I bring a new one home.
It's good to be me.

L.J.
01-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I have mine grouped by genre (action, comedy, animation......). My wife is not allowed to touch MY PRECIOUS.

GMichael
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
I have mine grouped by genre (action, comedy, animation......). My wife is not allowed to touch MY PRECIOUS.

My wife is encouraged to touch my precious as much as she wants.

L.J.
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
My wife is encouraged to touch my precious as much as she wants.

Man I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything. lol

GMichael
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Man I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything. lol

I'm sure your computer agrees.

Maybe an Excel spreadsheet would be a good idea. It's not very hard to keep up once it's set up the first time. Hmm.... The gears are turning. Yick, still a lot of congestion up here.

paul_pci
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm sure your computer agrees.

Maybe an Excel spreadsheet would be a good idea. It's not very hard to keep up once it's set up the first time. Hmm.... The gears are turning. Yick, still a lot of congestion up here.

There should be shareware programs out there that automate the data entry process; that's what I do. I just type in the title and it searches Amazon or IMDB for the full record. I can then organize it by title or year or genre. On the shelf, I organize my titles by year, as I'm fancy 80s movies, as they are the best movies in the history of the universe.

GMichael
01-06-2006, 10:36 AM
There should be shareware programs out there that automate the data entry process; that's what I do. I just type in the title and it searches Amazon or IMDB for the full record. I can then organize it by title or year or genre. On the shelf, I organize my titles by year, as I'm fancy 80s movies, as they are the best movies in the history of the universe.

Cool, I'll do a little searching.

Tar Heel
01-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm currently using DVD Profiler from Intervocative software. They have a free version and an upgraded pay for use version. So far the free one has been great for me.

Kam
01-06-2006, 10:44 AM

macs rule.

paul_pci
01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
macs rule.

They certainly do.

DougPet
01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Try movietrack.net . Pretty good to me.....

AVMASTER
01-06-2006, 01:11 PM
got a 400 disc dvd changer this x-mas, automatically cataloges Sony movies, the rest i manually file via the remote; unfortunately i've got more than 400 disc. What would really be cool is a affordable version of the Kaleidescape

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
The only thing I can do with 1200+ DVD's is just stack them alphabetically by genre. To try and catalog them now would be just too much work at this point.

L.J.
01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
1200+? How do pick what your gonna watch. You know on those days when your just not sure. Let's see......eeny meeny miny moe, catch a tiger by his toe.....

GMichael
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Cross thread alert. Hey T. How many of those 1200+ still have the plastic wrapper on them?

danclegg
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
If you have a mac and an iSight, this is by far the fastest way and most fun way to catalog your DVDs:

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

You use the iSight to scan the barcode on your DVD, and it loads the information from Amazon. On the screen, it actually looks like your collection sitting on shelves. You can add additional information for each title, and even keep track of who you loaned a DVD to.

paul_pci
01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
If you have a mac and an iSight, this is by far the fastest way and most fun way to catalog your DVDs:

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

You use the iSight to scan the barcode on your DVD, and it loads the information from Amazon. On the screen, it actually looks like your collection sitting on shelves. You can add additional information for each title, and even keep track of who you loaned a DVD to.

I would agree that Delicious monster is a cool and easy program, and I did a trial run of it, but for now I'm going to stick with the *free* DVD Manager program. Graphics are not as hip, but does essentially the same thing.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Cross thread alert. Hey T. How many of those 1200+ still have the plastic wrapper on them?

I am down to about 45-50 right now.

1200+? How do pick what your gonna watch. You know on those days when your just not sure. Let's see......eeny meeny miny moe, catch a tiger by his toe.....

L.J., being an adventurous spirit I just find one that captures my fancy at the moment. Sometimes I just grab something that's unwrapped, or sometimes I watch something that I have seen before and really enjoyed. I am a anamation nut, and I tend to watch most of my anamation movies alot. I have seen Little Nemo so many times I can recite the lines. For some reason I never get tired of watching it.

Last time I eeny meeny miny moed, and caught a tiger by her toe, she asked to hold my precious. After having twins I told the cat to let go of my precious so I can keep a little money in my pocket(damn I am getting good at this!!! LOLOLOL) Sorry, no more eeny meeny for Sir Teeyee.

L.J.
01-20-2006, 05:40 PM
L.J., being an adventurous spirit I just find one that captures my fancy at the moment. Sometimes I just grab something that's unwrapped, or sometimes I watch something that I have seen before and really enjoyed. I am a anamation nut, and I tend to watch most of my anamation movies alot. I have seen Little Nemo so many times I can recite the lines. For some reason I never get tired of watching it.

I feel ya. That Nemo is easy to watch.