B&W speaker opinions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W speaker opinions?

hippojam
01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I just heard the B&W DM 303...they sounded great. But I'm also interested in the DM600 S3 because they're smaller. It's for a small apartment.

Anyone have any opinions on these speakers??

2bluechris
01-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Hippojam , I looked at your equipment list - do I understand correctly that you are listening only from your Computer ? - no other audio gear ??
As for B&W , most of their speakers are good , and generally as one ascends their numerical series :- 300 to 600 to 700 to 800 , one gets higher quality sound when comparing similar size speakers in each series . Forget the "small apartment" aspect unless it is a very tiny cube ! , and buy the speakers that you prefer the sound of best with the music type that is most important to you , and especially that you can hear all the bass notes from that music if you are buying small speakers . Also , a small floor standing speaker takes up no more space than a small speaker on a stand , so have a listen to the Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 , and also the smaller Diamond 9 series models if you cannot accomodate the small floorstander . This new 9 series is probably better than the B&W 300 series , but I have not heard all models . [INDENT] I suppose your budget is limited ? , but if not , the best small speaker I have heard at a bit higher price is Quad 12L , and Quad 21L small floorstander is better balanced for bass extension . best wishes , Chris .

hippojam
01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
i am listening from my computer...so i don't want something too good that will show all the compression in 320 kbps MP3s. and i don't really want to spend more than 200-300 on the speakers.

would you still recommend the same wharfedales?

SlumpBuster
01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
320kps is not too bad. That will sound fine on budget entry speakers. If B&W is your fist nicer speaker, you will be pleased. But, what are you using for amplification?

hippojam
01-06-2006, 06:36 PM
i was just about to do some research to find a good receiver/amp. any recommendations that won't break the bank? or in other words, what's the best amp. option for someone trying to save money?

jocko_nc
01-06-2006, 06:39 PM
My father-in-law has some B&W towers. It would be a crying shame to only put MP3's through them. There are probably better values for the money, but they do sound pretty darn nice.

Sounds like someone has been bitten by the bug?

jocko

hippojam
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
yeah, i got an engineering degree undergrad...i can't help but upgrade electronics.

i'm looking at using the DM600 S3 small bookshelves, which are really for surounds, from what i understand...but instead using them as front 2 channel speakers for a smallish space. i figure it would be less of a shame putting mp3s through them. ha ha...

SlumpBuster
01-06-2006, 08:52 PM
If you have no amplification right now and are only using computer speakers, then the B&W powered by this may be a good introduction: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952

These T-amps are very cheap and very popular. I don't know if they are the giant killers as alot are claiming, but they're not half bad. And don't let the 10 watts fool you. For 30 bucks, why not?

hippojam
01-06-2006, 09:38 PM
sounds perfect...except for one thing...wouldn't the lack of digital or optical input defeat the purpose of the whole upgrade?

2bluechris
01-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I recommend you audition the Whafedale Diamond 9 series models , and any other speakers you are considering , connected from a suitable computer at the speakers' shop {via whatever amplifier you may consider if possible , or one similar the shop has} . Yes , the salespeople may laugh , but you are the customer and they want your money , so bluff them ! For amplifiers , the cheapest good ones I would buy are the NAD 320BEE or the Rotel RA-01 , or the NAD 720BEE Receiver . Rotel do not seem to have a budget Receiver , but do have a Tuner - RT-02 . The Rotel amp. has an RIAA Phono stage - if you want to connect a Turntable at any time . Both amps sound some-what different , and drive some types of "difficult load" speakers differently - {those series 9 Wharfedales and the 300 and 600 series B&Ws are not "difficult loads"} . I prefer the Rotel for its tighter sound , but you decide for the music you like . After you have listened from the Computer , next listen - with some challanging music - something you consider critical to replay well - from a good basic CD player through the same amp & speakers . Try from a NAD C542 , or at least the NAD C521 , or Rotel RCD-02 , or Marantz CD7300 or their CD5400ose version , or Cambridge Azur 640 CD player . Why I recommend all this procedure is that you will then have an amp. and speakers suitable to add what-ever CD player or other music source to when you can afford later , thus when you wish to up-grade from the current limits of computer audio you won't be stuck with substandard amp. and speakers . best wishes , Chris . P.S. - if you want an Optical or other type of data-stream interface , there is a particually good one which I have forgotten the brand-name of - I will find it again and post it later . I think that is better audio than buying any of the current cheap model amps that have digital inputs , but if you want a digital inputs amp / receiver , then try a Marantz or a Denon model . NAD may have one - I do not know {look on www.nadelectronics.com} . The Rotel ones are expensive , and all Companies will have better one as time goes on . The thing I've forgotten the brand of is upgradable each time the Company develops new technology .

littleb
01-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I once tried out a pair of B&W 602s3 bookshelves on 2 separate Yamaha receivers. I'm telling you this was not pretty. The 85 and 100 watt Yamaha receivers just couldn't push these speakers. Judging from this, unless one is prepared to purchase above average amplification, I would suggest staying away from this brand. Look for an 8 ohm bookshelf speaker.

Woochifer
01-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I once tried out a pair of B&W 602s3 bookshelves on 2 separate Yamaha receivers. I'm telling you this was not pretty. The 85 and 100 watt Yamaha receivers just couldn't push these speakers. Judging from this, unless one is prepared to purchase above average amplification, I would suggest staying away from this brand. Look for an 8 ohm bookshelf speaker.

Actually, the B&W 600 series models all have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms. For comparison, did you actually try those 602s on better amps to see if the receiver really was the culprit?

Woochifer
01-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I just heard the B&W DM 303...they sounded great. But I'm also interested in the DM600 S3 because they're smaller. It's for a small apartment.

Anyone have any opinions on these speakers??

The 303 is a very nice bookshelf speaker, and when I auditioned them a few years ago, I actually preferred them over the DM601. Try comparing for yourself if you can.

littleb
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
No, I didn't. I had to use what I had. These were brand new speakers. If it was the fault of the speakers it makes one wonder about B&W's QC a bit?

Woochifer
01-07-2006, 01:06 PM
No, I didn't. I had to use what I had. These were brand new speakers. If it was the fault of the speakers it makes one wonder about B&W's QC a bit?

If they're fresh out of the box, they might need a few hours of playing time to break in properly. In my listenings with the B&W 600 series, going with separates does subtly improve the sound quality, but decent midlevel receivers did not have any issues with them as far as I could tell. With their Nautilus models, that was a different story.

anto1
01-07-2006, 02:46 PM
try to find a pair of 2nd hand 602 s2....they are just fantastic and soud great even with 30 good watts

anamorphic96
01-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I have always liked Yamaha with B&W. The 600's are a pretty neutral load from my understanding. So im wondering if this was a room induced problem from the acoustics.

I have heard systems sound amazing in one room. Then sound like crap in another. Acoustics are a powerful thing and can destroy the sound of even the finest componets.

Where does QC come in as well. That should matter only if the speaker is falling apart or not functioning. Sound quality does not count since this is subjective opinion and room dependent.

accastil
01-12-2006, 01:00 AM
B&W makes excellent speakers...i think its the Yammies' fault again :)
those Yammies are no good for music..that is why.
in fairness to Yammy fans, they are great with HT, unfortunately sucks for music

2bluechris
01-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Hippojam , have a look at :- www.terratec.net , and there on their "Terratec Producer" page you will see details of several devices you can use to access the best audio your Computer is able to receive - that is , into a separate Hi-Fi amplifier . The "Terratec Producer" products are used by the serious audio enthusiasts and various professionals for products in that price area . As you have an Engineering degree I think you will be able to understand the technical information in their specifications , etc ... . Terratec's other pages include "Sound" which has some cheaper , less critical audio , products for Computer interface . As for their "Home Entertainment" products page - I do not recommend those speakers ! - stay with auditioning B&W and Wharfedale for better value for money . best wishes , Chris ---------------------------------------------------------------P.S. :- If those Yamaha Receivers wouldn't drive the B&W602series3 , then either :- the particular pair of 602's were faulty , or the speaker cable loose in sockets , or faulty receivers , or a very large room !! A 40 watt Rotel or NAD amp will drive them to good volume levels in a small to medium sized room , and their 70 watt amps will drive them in a medium-large room OK .

Woochifer
01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
B&W makes excellent speakers...i think its the Yammies' fault again :)
those Yammies are no good for music..that is why.
in fairness to Yammy fans, they are great with HT, unfortunately sucks for music

Unless you know the acoustical conditions under which the listening took place, there's no way to assign fault to any single component. How well Yamaha receivers handle two-channel material in my listenings has depended greatly on how much of a load the speakers connected to it present. The speakers being discussed on this thread are not especially demanding on amps, so the issues that littleb picked up on could originate from any number of different sources, especially since he did not have a different amp available for comparison. Saying that "Yammies are no good for music" is a pretty baseless generalization within the context of this thread.