New dvds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New dvds

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Got several dvds for Christmas this year:
Rushmore
Office Space (special package with lots of goodies including a red stapler)
East of Eden
Family Guy - The Freakin' Sweet Collection (my wife nearly pulled her hair out trying to find this one)

I used a couple of gift cards to order the following:

8 1/2
There's Something about Mary (my local hicksville video store doesn't have it on dvd)
Bottle Rocket
Amelie

According to UPS tracking, these should arrive today and tomorrow.

Of the 7 movies, 2 are replacements for vhs copies. Have you older guys replaced most or all of your vhs collection with dvds? I've found it difficult even after 5 or 6 years to come close. I find myself resisting buying something I already have even though the quality is far superior. I'm afraid I'll freak out when the new format(s) hit.

Kam
01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Rushmore
East of Eden
Family Guy - The Freakin' Sweet Collection (my wife nearly pulled her hair out trying to find this one)

I used a couple of gift cards to order the following:

8 1/2
There's Something about Mary (my local hicksville video store doesn't have it on dvd)
Bottle Rocket
Amelie

According to UPS tracking, these should arrive today and tomorrow.

Of the 7 movies, 2 are replacements for vhs copies. Have you older guys replaced most or all of your vhs collection with dvds? I've found it difficult even after 5 or 6 years to come close. I find myself resisting buying something I already have even though the quality is far superior. I'm afraid I'll freak out when the new format(s) hit.

bottle rocket is one of my alltime favs! great choice! i havent seen life aquatic yet, but i thikn wes and owen hit their high with bottle rocket. not that i havent liked rushmore or the royal tenenbaums, but there's just something so genuinely fun and joyful in bottlerocket, and quite possibly my all time favorite 'dark moment' at the very end that makes this one my fav of all the wes/owen movies.

and amelie is such a fun, engaging movie from start to finish, really sucks you in. good choices! franks and beans!!

i guess i never had that many vhs's to begin with, by the time i really started putting my sytem together, laserdisc was just starting up, although i thankfully didnt have enough money to buy those, otherwise i'd have a ton of obsolete, shiny frisbee's laying around. when my LD player got lost/stolen in a move, i made the upgrade to dvd and haven't looked back.

although the picture/sound quality of a movie isn't going to make me splurge on another copy (i still have the early release of fifth element, i didnt get the superbit version when it came out), i did buy the re-release, director's cuts of donnie darko, true romance, and aliens. so unless the blue-ray/hddvd/etc/whatever also have something more than just better pic/sound, i wont be making any replacements. that's just me, i know plenty of people who hate the extra's/audio commentary and prefer the better picture/sound, but then again, i'm not one to buy a piece of crap movie just cuz it has reference quality sound or picture, but i will buy a piece of crap transfer of a movie that has reference quality story/acting in it. :) and i have bought movies i didnt terribly like just to hear the audio-commentary/ behind the scenes stuff/ extras because i was a fan of the director/actor.

Woochifer
01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
The transition to DVD was easy for me because my VHS collection had fewer than 30 titles. For me, the collectiblity of VHS just wasn't there because the tapes wore out, the video quality was mediocre, most of them were pan & scan, few of them had any special features, and they only had two-channel soundtracks. For movies that I wanted to keep for repeat viewing, I would occasionally rent a Laserdisc player and copy from letterboxed discs. I never got around to buying a Laserdisc player because the players, discs, and Dolby Digital equipment were too expensive at that time. Only when the DVD format gained traction in the market did everything with the disc and multichannel processor costs fall into place.

The big change that I made with DVD is that I now mostly buy the movies I'm interested in viewing, rather than renting them. With new releases going for under $20 and catalog titles now dipping down to around $10, it's already cheaper than going to the theater, and I have the option of repeat viewing, taking my time with the bonus features, or selling/trading them after I'm done watching a DVD I don't want to keep in my collection.

I will wait and see whether the transition over to HD-DVD/Blu-ray induces a new round of double-dipping. If the improvement in video quality is that dramatic, and the formats make full use of the new lossless multichannel audio formats, then I can see myself double-dipping on some of my favorite titles.

I waited three years before I bought my first DVD player, and depending on the pricing, I can easily see myself waiting about that long before investing in the new HD disc formats. For one thing, these new formats have all kinds of market obstacles to overcome that the DVD format did not encounter, so who knows whether they will even make a ripple in the market to begin with. The timing will also depend on how long it takes me to upgrade my video setup to HD. Thus far, I've focused almost entirely on the audio side of my setup.

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 01:47 PM
bottle rocket is one of my alltime favs! great choice! i havent seen life aquatic yet, but i thikn wes and owen hit their high with bottle rocket. not that i havent liked rushmore or the royal tenenbaums, but there's just something so genuinely fun and joyful in bottlerocket, and quite possibly my all time favorite 'dark moment' at the very end that makes this one my fav of all the wes/owen movies.

and amelie is such a fun, engaging movie from start to finish, really sucks you in. good choices! franks and beans!!

I always liked Rushmore, but didn't know a darn thing about Wes Anderson until you mentioned him and Bottle Rocket a while back. Did a little research and finally pulled the trigger.

Similar story with Amelie. Was vaguely familiar with it, but didn't know much about it until reading one of your comments. If I really like it I might get City of Lost Children.

My rental store (Movie Gallery) here in Hicksville, USA doesn't carry a wide selection. There's a mom & pop store that I need to check out. Ultimately, I might have to try NetFlix or something. Are you still pleased with them?

BTW, whatta ya think of that Donnie Darko director's cut? I have the regular release. Geez, the first time I saw it I had to rent it on vhs! I bought the dvd within a couple of days.

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
For movies that I wanted to keep for repeat viewing, I would occasionally rent a Laserdisc player and copy from letterboxed discs.

I have quite a few import films that were made this way by specialty companies. Had to pay a premium for these and now they're readily available for $10-20 on dvd.

Kam
01-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I always liked Rushmore, but didn't know a darn thing about Wes Anderson until you mentioned him and Bottle Rocket a while back. Did a little research and finally pulled the trigger.

Similar story with Amelie. Was vaguely familiar with it, but didn't know much about it until reading one of your comments. If I really like it I might get City of Lost Children.

My rental store (Movie Gallery) here in Hicksville, USA doesn't carry a wide selection. There's a mom & pop store that I need to check out. Ultimately, I might have to try NetFlix or something. Are you still pleased with them?

BTW, whatta ya think of that Donnie Darko director's cut? I have the regular release. Geez, the first time I saw it I had to rent it on vhs! I bought the dvd within a couple of days.

am a big fan of netflix. i have the 3 dvd's out at a time membership and when you have the time, it is MORE than worth it. In october, when i had the time, i went through 20 movies (including peeeeeeeeeeee noooooooooooooooo keeeeeeeeeeee ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh). the only problem is when you get stuck with time, and you're just sitting on a dvd for a while. for e.g. in december i've barely had any time and so only went through 4 movies the whole month. the turnaround time is usually two days, i.e. put it in the mail on monday, receive new dvd on wed. and with three out at a time, i usually have a pretty good turnover where (as in october) i was getting a new movie almost every single day.

city of lost children is a must-see i think, but not sure if its a must-own. it'sa very unique film, and has some incredible visuals, id have to check to see if the dvd had any behind the scenes, making of, or directors commentary to make it worth buying for me, because i prolly might see it again to specifically look for something (biz related) other than to see how they did a lot of the things they did.

am gonna watch the directors cut again this weekend (have had it on tap for a while to watch but havent been motivated to watch anything after my 'canes got trounced). i saw it when it first came out, and it had quite a few additions to it and a few small music changed which i didnt like (i think they took out one echo and the bunnymen song, which is a travesty imo). but the big thing i remembered being different was a scene in drew's english class where donnie reads a poem about him and frank that had some serious time travel issues with it and prophecy type tones. and some strange imagery that can lend the story more towards one way, or the other, about frank being all in donnie's head, or real, or what. i guess just added more questions really, haha.
overall it wasnt that it explained everything all that much more clearly, but even a lil bit more helps when it comes to that movie as strange and complex as donnie darko.

Kam
01-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Rushmore
East of Eden

p.s. so... how's that dvd collection coming along? huh? gotta big, uh, big stack of dvd's there? gotta, gotta nice lil dvd collection you're working on there? you're big dvd collection you've been working on for three years? Huh? gotta compelling price range? yeah?Yeah? Gotta some wifey appreciation factors to overcome? Huh? Gotta dvd collection brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little collection? Classics, cartoons, and some new releases? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? Yeah? Yeah?

http://www.familyguyquotes.com/
enjoy.
:D

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah! Well...I'm a pompous little antichrist who will abandon my plans for world domination when I grow up and wind up settling with a rough trick named Jim. Sound familiar?

Thanks for the link!

BTW, I know I still owe you big time for even mentioning Pinocchio. Let's say you watched 19 and 1/4 movies in October.