Slight problem with Klipsch Quintet II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Slight problem with Klipsch Quintet II

BC Dave
01-05-2006, 08:13 AM
We all can get into trouble on New Year's Eve. We were at my brother's house and I had been having liberal brewskies. Not at all sober, I was marveling at the sound of his new Klipsch Quintet II system. He had replaced four big 1970s-era speakers with this set-up (supported by a good 12-inch powered sub) and it sounded amazing - the Quintets sounded big and loud and easily filled the large room with quality sound. On Jan. 2 I ran down to London Drugs and snatched the last five-speaker set of Quintet IIs they had for $199 CDN. The problem: In my room I can't get them to sound full, in spite of adjusting my Denon receiver's crossover from 80 to 100 then 120 hz. There seems to be a mid-bass gap between the sub and speakers. I miss my Mission M73 towers and Paradigm CC-70 center channel, which I sold off impusively to friends! The Klipsch speakers sound very crisp and nice and my wife is very happy with their appearance, but I think I may have made a big mistake in this impulsive buy. My brother's room is even bigger than mine, with a nine-foot open beam ceiling, so if anything, he should be experiencing more thin sound than I am, but it ain't the case. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

zepman1
01-05-2006, 08:52 AM
The problem you mention would be expected of a sub/satellite system. How would you expect to produce mid-bass from 3 inch drivers or whatever is in the satellites? It could just be that your friends setup was such that you didn't notice the differece. Possibly his sub is more powerful than yours and crossover set differently that masked the lack of mid-bass response.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-05-2006, 08:59 AM
We all can get into trouble on New Year's Eve. We were at my brother's house and I had been having liberal brewskies. Not at all sober, I was marveling at the sound of his new Klipsch Quintet II system. He had replaced four big 1970s-era speakers with this set-up (supported by a good 12-inch powered sub) and it sounded amazing - the Quintets sounded big and loud and easily filled the large room with quality sound. On Jan. 2 I ran down to London Drugs and snatched the last five-speaker set of Quintet IIs they had for $199 CDN. The problem: In my room I can't get them to sound full, in spite of adjusting my Denon receiver's crossover from 80 to 100 then 120 hz. There seems to be a mid-bass gap between the sub and speakers. I miss my Mission M73 towers and Paradigm CC-70 center channel, which I sold off impusively to friends! The Klipsch speakers sound very crisp and nice and my wife is very happy with their appearance, but I think I may have made a big mistake in this impulsive buy. My brother's room is even bigger than mine, with a nine-foot open beam ceiling, so if anything, he should be experiencing more thin sound than I am, but it ain't the case. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

You need to experiment with subwoofer placement. Also make sure all speakers are set to small, and you need to calibrate the system so all channels are the same volume. If you usually listen at low volumes you should set the sub+5 db higher than the mains. If you listen to your system pretty loud, then adjust it to +3db louder than your mains. The crossover should be set to 100hz because the main speakers themselves are -3 at 90hz(if I remember correctly). You should start with a corner placement, and move the sub around from there. I do not think its a mistake to replace a mismatched system with a matched one, that is always a good decision.