I'm no Texas but, but so HAPPY they beat USC. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm no Texas but, but so HAPPY they beat USC.

Swish
01-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Now before you California Nuts start railing at me, just understand that I was sick and tired of all the publicity and hype they've received over the past couple of years...tired of hearing about their players, and even more tired from hearing about how Pete Carroll is such a genius. It was a great game, with a stunning finish, and hopefully USC can be relagated to the middle of the pack again with the start of the 2006 season.

Ok CA residents, go ahead and fire away at me.

Swish

Duds
01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
USC has a higher payroll than most NFL teams... :)

I didn't care who won, but I cant believe how everyone is on the Vince Young bandwagon now. Lee Corso, who i like, called him the greatest collge QB he has ever seen. Vince will be a flop in the NFL, his arm is way too low when he throws.

Now before you California Nuts start railing at me, just understand that I was sick and tired of all the publicity and hype they've received over the past couple of years...tired of hearing about their players, and even more tired from hearing about how Pete Carroll is such a genius. It was a great game, with a stunning finish, and hopefully USC can be relagated to the middle of the pack again with the start of the 2006 season.

Swish

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I cant believe how everyone is on the Vince Young bandwagon now. Lee Corso, who i like, called him the greatest collge QB he has ever seen. Vince will be a flop in the NFL, his arm is way too low when he throws.

Did we watch the same game? Vince Young was the best player on the field last night. Leinart had a great 3rd quarter. Bush should have been used as a decoy more because TX was keying on him all night. White had a good game. But Young pulled off the best college QB performance I've seen in a single game. Last night he was clearly athletically superior to everyone else.

Anyhow, I thought the game was an instant classic.

Duds
01-05-2006, 10:07 AM
that he didnt have a great game, he obviously did. But to call him the greatest college QB ever? I'm predicting he'll end up like Michael Vick in the NFL....over-rated. go ahead, hammer me for saying that, just my opinion though :)

I think Bush was used as a decoy, that opened up Lendale White who had 3 TDs and 125 yards.

No reason for USC to go for that 4th and 2. Punt the damn ball and pin them back and make them go 80 or 90 yards, not 50.

Did we watch the same game? Vince Young was the best player on the field last night. Leinart had a great 3rd quarter. Bush should have been used as a decoy more because TX was keying on him all night. White had a good game. But Young pulled off the best college QB performance I've seen in a single game. Last night he was clearly athletically superior to everyone else.

Anyhow, I thought the game was an instant classic.

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
that he didnt have a great game, he obviously did. But to call him the greatest college QB ever? I'm predicting he'll end up like Michael Vick in the NFL....over-rated. go ahead, hammer me for saying that, just my opinion though :)

I think Bush was used as a decoy, that opened up Lendale White who had 3 TDs and 125 yards.

No reason for USC to go for that 4th and 2. Punt the damn ball and pin them back and make them go 80 or 90 yards, not 50.

Yeah, there were a couple of calls/missed calls and decisions that weren't perfect like the Young pitch from his knee, USC's using its last timeout on the 2pt conversion, TX's going for it on 4th down early, Bush's pitch, etc. but the energy, excitement, speed, etc. of the game probably had an effect on judgment and I thought the refs had trouble keeping up with the speed of the game. I'm not a fan of either school, but I found myself standing during TX's last drive.

I tend to agree with your observation about Young's throwing motion. With that motion he probably goes from a tall 6'5" to a relatively short 6'0". He may not be able to get away with that in the NFL, but as far as college goes, that was a great performance. I don't know whether he's the greatest college QB ever, but that was the greatest single-game performance from a college QB I've ever seen. (To put my comment in perspective, my memory goes back to Flutie's Hail Mary game against Miami.) The college game is different. There's a long history of great teams with running QBs - Sooners, 'Huskers, Bama. West Va. has an excellent running QB. Matt Jones was a great running QB at Ark. I don't think it's fair to judge Young's college performance against the prototypical NFL QB. That said, it's perfectly legit for draft evaluations, performance in NFL games and predictions.

Duds
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
and i couldnt agree more about the excitement of the game. The refs were either from the Big 10 or the Big 12 I think, so they should have been a little better in my opinion. Its not like the ones from the Sun Belt conference who screwed my Wolverines....lol. Kidding to a certain extent, Michigan screwed themselves all year, and highly over-rated at the start of the year being #4 in the rankings.

Hey, Young could surprise me and go on to be a great NFL QB. And you are right, he definitely elevated his stock with that performance. Does he go to the NFL or come back like Leinart did?

Yeah, there were a couple of calls/missed calls and decisions that weren't perfect like the Young pitch from his knee, USC's using its last timeout on the 2pt conversion, TX's going for it on 4th down early, Bush's pitch, etc. but the energy, excitement, speed, etc. of the game probably had an effect on judgment and I thought the refs had trouble keeping up with the speed of the game. I'm not a fan of either school, but I found myself standing during TX's last drive.

I tend to agree with your observation about Young's throwing motion. With that motion he probably goes from a tall 6'5" to a relatively short 6'0". He may not be able to get away with that in the NFL, but as far as college goes, that was a great performance. I don't know whether he's the greatest college QB ever, but that was the greatest single-game performance from a college QB I've ever seen. (To put my comment in perspective, my memory goes back to Flutie's Hail Mary game against Miami.) The college game is different. There's a long history of great teams with running QBs - Sooners, 'Huskers, Bama. West Va. has an excellent running QB. Matt Jones was a great running QB at Ark. I don't think it's fair to judge Young's college performance against the prototypical NFL QB. That said, it's perfectly legit for draft evaluations, performance in NFL games and predictions.

shokhead
01-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Swish

So lets forget what USC has done the past 2 years? Texas kicked USC butt but they have a ways to go still to match or go beyond.. Not likly the middle of the pack,they are reloading. Dont forget there Defensive line is pretty young and returning. With what USC has done and basicly playing at home for what they were playing for,i'm not sure what you would expect.

Duds
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
hmmm, i never considered a 3 point margin in football a butt kicking..

So lets forget what USC has done the past 2 years? Texas kicked USC butt but they have a ways to go still to match or go beyond.. Not likly the middle of the pack,they are reloading. Dont forget there Defensive line is pretty young and returning. With what USC has done and basicly playing at home for what they were playing for,i'm not sure what you would expect.

MasterCylinder
01-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Three highlights of the night:

# 1 -- Texas won the big game for a change.

# 2 -- Both teams showed so much class. No trash talk. No silly, rap-artist end zone dances. No showing off like some T.O. as$hole. Classy atheletes on both teams.

# 3 -- Bevo left USC a little present on the sidelines.

[can you tell I'm a Texas alum ?]

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 02:30 PM
hmmm, i never considered a 3 point margin in football a butt kicking..

Yessir, that's another thing that made the game so great. Even though Young looked like Superman out there, TX was still down by 12 in the 4th and only won by 3. I had the feeling that if SC had saved that timeout they called on the 2-pt conversion, they could've done something with that 19 seconds - a couple of sideline completions and one down the middle and they would've been in field goal range. They might still be playin'.

topspeed
01-05-2006, 03:16 PM

Swish
Hey Swish,

FU

I was at the game and let me tell you, from this Trojan's perspective, there was nothing great about it. I'll tip my hat to VY as he was just a freak out there. We had no answer. Nada. Zilch. That guy is a lot faster and stronger in person than on the tube. Our corners had no chance at bringing him down once he hit top gear. An amazing performance for sure, but the best ever? There might be some debate about that...

I also wouldn't advise you to hold your breath waiting for SC to fall to mid-pack. Our defense is practically all underclassmen and all of the starters we lost to injury will be back. The injury bug hit SC HARD this year and left us with only one returning starter on the entire D! Considering Carroll's defensive acumen and the fact that the previous three years had SC in the top 3 run defense and top 5 in total defense, chances are we're going to be in pretty good shape next year.

As for our offense, we'll get back 4 of 5 starters on the O-line, all our receivers (plus two studs waiting in the wings), and John David Booty has been prepping for two years to replace Leinart (he was the top rated QB 2 yrs ago, but if he falters we have Mark Sanchez, the top rated QB last year, ready to step in). At tailback, we'll have to see what White decides, but Bush is as good as gone. Desmond Reed is very Bush-like and will be ready to fill the gap. I predict a Top 5 preseason ranking and if the team gels under Booty, a very good chance at another title. Sorry to dash your hopes, but 4 straight killer recruiting classes does that for you. Under Carroll, SC doesn't rebuild. We reload.

As for Troy getting its "butt kicked," that's ridiculous. Check the final stats, this game was as close as the score indicated. In most categories, from first downs to yards gained, Texas and SC were tied or within a few yards. Texas, or rather VY, made the plays when they had do. We didn't. There won't be cosmic shift or any such nonsense because of this. Every streak has an end, it's just unfortunate that this one had to end in the National Championship game.

I will say this, from pre-game to post-game, the Longhorn fans were a heckuva lot more cocky and disrespectful than the OU fans last year. It's a shame, because their coach is all class.

Fight On!

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
John David Booty has been prepping for two years to replace Leinart

Is that Josh's little bro? Can a Booty brother stay at one school? Can a Booty brother pick football over baseball? Wasn't Josh at LSU for a while, then disappear with some AA farm club?

I'm just raggin' ya, Speedy. I know it wasn't easy for you to watch, but as an objective observer (my team barely beat Texas Tech with the ugliest kick you ever saw) I must say the game was very entertaining. Even on tv the atmosphere was electric. There was so much going on, Keith Jackson and Dan Fouts had a hard time keeping up. Every play seemed huge/critical.

My only disappointment is that it was so good, we'll be stuck with the BCS formula from now on.

Swish
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Swish,

FUAs for our offense, we'll get back 4 of 5 starters on the O-line, all our receivers (plus two studs waiting in the wings), and John David Booty has been prepping for two years to replace Leinart (he was the top rated QB 2 yrs ago, but if he falters we have Mark Sanchez, the top rated QB last year, ready to step in). At tailback, we'll have to see what White decides, but Bush is as good as gone. Desmond Reed is very Bush-like and will be ready to fill the gap. I predict a Top 5 preseason ranking and if the team gels under Booty, a very good chance at another title. Sorry to dash your hopes, but 4 straight killer recruiting classes does that for you. Under Carroll, SC doesn't rebuild. We reload.

As for Troy getting its "butt kicked," that's ridiculous. Check the final stats, this game was as close as the score indicated. In most categories, from first downs to yards gained, Texas and SC were tied or within a few yards. Texas, or rather VY, made the plays when they had do. We didn't. There won't be cosmic shift or any such nonsense because of this. Every streak has an end, it's just unfortunate that this one had to end in the National Championship game.

I will say this, from pre-game to post-game, the Longhorn fans were a heckuva lot more cocky and disrespectful than the OU fans last year. It's a shame, because their coach is all class.

Fight On!
BWAHAHAHAHA. Hey, I fully expected that and more, and I can take it. SC has a great team and nothing to be ashamed of, except Leinart saying after the game that he thought they were the better team. What an a hole! Admit you got beat and move on! That's sour grapes from a guy who is supposedly a class act, but that was stooooopid.

You have to admit that, along with some great games, SC had plenty of luck along the way too. They coulda/shoulda lost to Fresno last year (Fresno? WTF are they?) and Notre Dame this year. You know ND, the team who got totally whalloped by the second best team in the Big 10, Ohio State. OSU should have beaten Texas, but for a bobbled pass in the end zone, or it would have been a battle to see who would play SC in the final.All you TX fans know it too! I think OSU will be very tough to beat next year, altough I'm not a fan since I'm a Penn Stater.

Anyway, I know they're loaded, but so are plenty of others, so it will be interesting to see what happens next year. Until then I can savor the fact that SC lost and that's that.

Swish Baby

topspeed
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
except Leinart saying after the game that he thought they were the better team. What an a hole! Admit you got beat and move on! That's sour grapes from a guy who is supposedly a class act, but that was stooooopid. He was right, we do have a better team. From tailbacks to linemen to receivers, we have better personnel. What we don't have is a quarterback that can make up plays with his sheer size and speed and wreak havoc on a young defense. Young won that game. Texas went along for the ride. Mind you, I'm not saying this is bad because I don't really care how you win, just win :)!

You have to admit that, along with some great games, SC had plenty of luck along the way too. They coulda/shoulda lost to Fresno last year (Fresno? WTF are they?) and Notre Dame this year. You know ND, the team who got totally whalloped by the second best team in the Big 10, Ohio State. OSU should have beaten Texas, but for a bobbled pass in the end zone, or it would have been a battle to see who would play SC in the final.All you TX fans know it too! I think OSU will be very tough to beat next year, altough I'm not a fan since I'm a Penn Stater. First off, congrats on your win in the Orange Bowl, as ugly as that was. JoePa deserves the win and I hope it silences every fairweather fan that was calling for his head the last few years. This is college, you know, where tradition is still suppossed to count for something? :rolleyes:

Did SC have some luck along the way? Yep. You don't win 34 games in a row on skill alone. In case you haven't noticed, a football is an oddly shaped critter and tends to bounce in a weird way. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesn't. However, you can't deemphasize this crucial fact: When you are a two time defending champion and haven't lost in over 2 years, you are going to get every single teams best. Fresno is an excellent example as they left everything they had on the field and ended up losing their last 4. These are the same Bulldogs have made a name for themselves as giant killers taking down such luminaries as UCLA, Oregon, Cal, Colorado, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, and K State. Don't discount the Bulldogs, because that's exactly when they beat you.

In a way, I'm relieved the college season is over. Now maybe I can back to work!

-Jar-
01-05-2006, 06:21 PM
sports fans are funny.

3-LockBox
01-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I too am glad USC lost, though I'm not crazy 'bout Texas either. I don't roll with California or Texas teams as a rule.

But twix the two, I think USC will rebound easier, Texas may be in for a let down if VY doesn't 're-up' for his senior year; VY literally carried Texas on his back. But both teams should do well next year, given that both the PAC-10 and Big-12 are still going to be weak as hell (PAC-10 being a total joke). At least they both put top flight competition on their non-conference schedules this year.

As far as Vince Young's NFL future, he'll enjoy about as much success as Micheal Vick has, which is to say, sporadic at best. Just ask Donovan McNabb and Steve McNair, who did the 'scramble thing' for the first few seasons, but didn't enjoy any real success until they settled down and decided to be quarterbacks. Because no matter what kinda athlete you are in college, you're just barely above average in the NFL, and if you're a one-dimensional QB, defensive coordinators always seem to get around to figuring you out sooner than later.

Duds
01-06-2006, 05:19 AM
#3 = LMAO!!!!

Three highlights of the night:

# 1 -- Texas won the big game for a change.

# 2 -- Both teams showed so much class. No trash talk. No silly, rap-artist end zone dances. No showing off like some T.O. as$hole. Classy atheletes on both teams.

# 3 -- Bevo left USC a little present on the sidelines.

[can you tell I'm a Texas alum ?]

Duds
01-06-2006, 05:24 AM
That was quite the performance by their QB as well. I'm a huge Michigan Wolverine fan, and had to suck it up and pull for OSU, that shows how much hatred I have for Notre Dame. I kept telling myself that I was supporting the Big 10 conference...LOL!

BWAHAHAHAHA. Hey, I fully expected that and more, and I can take it. SC has a great team and nothing to be ashamed of, except Leinart saying after the game that he thought they were the better team. What an a hole! Admit you got beat and move on! That's sour grapes from a guy who is supposedly a class act, but that was stooooopid.

You have to admit that, along with some great games, SC had plenty of luck along the way too. They coulda/shoulda lost to Fresno last year (Fresno? WTF are they?) and Notre Dame this year. You know ND, the team who got totally whalloped by the second best team in the Big 10, Ohio State. OSU should have beaten Texas, but for a bobbled pass in the end zone, or it would have been a battle to see who would play SC in the final.All you TX fans know it too! I think OSU will be very tough to beat next year, altough I'm not a fan since I'm a Penn Stater.

Anyway, I know they're loaded, but so are plenty of others, so it will be interesting to see what happens next year. Until then I can savor the fact that SC lost and that's that.

Swish Baby

shokhead
01-06-2006, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE=Swish]BWAHAHAHAHA. Hey, I fully expected that and more, and I can take it. SC has a great team and nothing to be ashamed of, except Leinart saying after the game that he thought they were the better team. What an a hole! Admit you got beat and move on! That's sour grapes from a guy who is supposedly a class act, but that was stooooopid.

Swish Baby

Well i'm glad to know SC was the only team with luck. I might add what makes SC's winning streak a little different then the others are the number of S Ships . I dont have the number but its less then it use to be.

Swish
01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
That was quite the performance by their QB as well. I'm a huge Michigan Wolverine fan, and had to suck it up and pull for OSU, that shows how much hatred I have for Notre Dame. I kept telling myself that I was supporting the Big 10 conference...LOL!

Holy crap! We got screwed 3 seasons in a row against you guys. How do you think Joe Paterno was able to get the Big 10 to agree to have instant replay reviews on disputed calls? Mich. was the main reason, although I think we got screwed in at least 4 games three years ago. I still bristle at the thought of it. It was obvious they lost because of poor calls...well, let's just say there probably would have been a different outcome IF THEY GOT THE CALLS RIGHT. Then again, how the f<a>uck your coach was able to get 2 seconds added to the clock this year is beyond me. I was ready to jump thru the tv and choke that mother.

Look, I'm all about fairness and I don't even want to see PSU benefit from a bad call against an opponent. Refs should NOT determine the outcome of the game.Get the call right, that's the bottom line. Now if only we can get a real playoff so we have a true champion instead of this mythical s<a>hit.

Swish, Still Bitter After All These Years

shokhead
01-06-2006, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Swish]BWAHAHAHAHA. Hey, I fully expected that and more, and I can take it. SC has a great team and nothing to be ashamed of, except Leinart saying after the game that he thought they were the better team. What an a hole! Admit you got beat and move on! That's sour grapes from a guy who is supposedly a class act, but that was stooooopid.

Swish Baby

Well i'm glad to know SC was the only team with luck. I might add what makes SC's winning streak a little different then the others are the number of S Ships . I dont have the number but its less then it use to be.

But SC beat Fresno and ND and thats what counts. Leinart having a mic shoved in his face 30 seconds after that,i cant say what he said was right but i do understand it. No doubt about it,SC did not win. It was a loopsided 3 point defeat.

Woochifer
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM

Swish

Well, no fire coming from me, I'm a Bruin! For us, football is the preseason for basketball! (No BCS BS there, just a real playoff and a real championship) :D

I didn't have much of a rooting interest in the Rose Bowl since I don't like either team. Normally, it would be easy to root against the Trojans, but geez, this is TEXAS we're talking about! And I know all about the arrogance of those Longhorn fans -- I have an ex-girlfriend who went to UT! She had a Bevo doll on her nightstand and a portrait hanging in her apartment of the Texas Tower lit up in burnt orange (done after every Longhorn sports victory) with the windows lighting the number "1" along the front of the building (done whenever a UT sports team wins a national championship, which is exactly how the tower is lit up right now -- admittedly it is an awesome sight in person). Either way though it was great game, and the benefit of the outcome is that I won't have to hear my dad (who went to SC) gloating for the next few months!

http://www.news8austin.com/media/2006/1/6/images/01tower.jpg
http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=153226

Hey topspeed -

It might not be a good time to go into sports hibernation, because your hoopsters right now look about as good as I've seen them in many seasons. The game at McHale Center this weekend against 'Zona will say a lot about how much of an impact Coach Floyd has had on the program. (You guys should consider yourself very lucky that Majerus bailed out after accepting the head coaching position -- Floyd's a much better choice for the long-term) It sickens me to think about it, but SC looks like they have a good shot at getting invited to the big dance in March.

caniac
01-07-2006, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=dean_martin]Is that Josh's little bro? Can a Booty brother stay at one school? Can a Booty brother pick football over baseball? Wasn't Josh at LSU for a while, then disappear with some AA farm club?
QUOTE]

Yes, he is Josh's brother. He is destined to suck.

No Evangel product ever turned out to be worth anything in college or the pros. They're all products of a gimmicky offensive system. They don't know how to do anything but throw crossing patterns from a deep shotgun formation. Mark it down, Booty is junk.

I got no beef with USC, other than the ESPN hype machine's three-peat talk "conveniently" ignoring the LSU team of 03, you know, the one that won the trophy by winning the BCS championship game. They seem to have forgotten all about that. T-I-G-E-R-S Tigaaaaahs!

dean_martin
01-07-2006, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=dean_martin]Is that Josh's little bro? Can a Booty brother stay at one school? Can a Booty brother pick football over baseball? Wasn't Josh at LSU for a while, then disappear with some AA farm club?
QUOTE]

Yes, he is Josh's brother. He is destined to suck.

No Evangel product ever turned out to be worth anything in college or the pros. They're all products of a gimmicky offensive system. They don't know how to do anything but throw crossing patterns from a deep shotgun formation. Mark it down, Booty is junk.

I got no beef with USC, other than the ESPN hype machine's three-peat talk "conveniently" ignoring the LSU team of 03, you know, the one that won the trophy by winning the BCS championship game. They seem to have forgotten all about that. T-I-G-E-R-S Tigaaaaahs!

How about that? The hype machine worked. I'm from SEC country and forgot all about dem bayou bengals during the build up to the champeenship game. Good point, caniac.

LSU had a great season all things considered. If they had managed the clock better at the end of the first half of the Tennessee game, they would have gone into the SEC champeenship game undefeated. I couldn't put me finger on exactly what happened against Ga. though. I didn't get to see the whole game, but I had the feeling they would have had a tough time winning even if Russel didn't get hurt. But with all they went through (adapting to new coach, Katrina, schedule without a bye, etc.), they performed very well. They're loaded with great athletes. What's the scoop on Les Miles' first recruiting class? Does it compare to the Saban classes?

On a music-related side note, I was saddened to hear that Fats Domino was missing after Katrina. Then all of a sudden I hear he's at JaMarcus Russel's place. How's that for a house guest!

caniac
01-07-2006, 09:53 PM
LSU had a great season all things considered. If they had managed the clock better at the end of the first half of the Tennessee game, they would have gone into the SEC champeenship game undefeated. I couldn't put me finger on exactly what happened against Ga. though. I didn't get to see the whole game, but I had the feeling they would have had a tough time winning even if Russel didn't get hurt. But with all they went through (adapting to new coach, Katrina, schedule without a bye, etc.), they performed very well. They're loaded with great athletes. What's the scoop on Les Miles' first recruiting class? Does it compare to the Saban classes?

I wasn't too surprised by the outcome of the Georgia game. They had played 11 consecutive weeks at that point. Most teams schedule two bye weeks in that same amount of time. They were just worn out.

Miles has done an excellent job of recruiting. Last year, he got Ryan Perriloux, one of the top 2 QB's last year, a couple of four star RB's, and some linebackers, not bad for the short time he had to do it. This year he's recruited what should be the best secondary class in the nation and a whole gaggle of stud defensive linemen, so things are looking good. Should be a top 5 class this year, which compares favorably to what Saban did.

Of course, it's not particularly hard to recruit at LSU. Locking up the in-state kids is a cakewalk, because there's no real competition.

Audio Girl
01-08-2006, 01:17 AM

Swish

OH, but I am for Texas, and I am so glad that we kicked their tails!!!!! :-0

Ron Nasty
01-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Wow, LSU fans at RR! We'll definitely have an "embarassment of riches" next year at QB and running back. As for this year, I blame their lack of focus against Ariz. St. (Should have lost) and Tenn. (loss) on Katrina. I believe I read somewhere that about 50% of their players had Katrina related issues, either property or family that were affected directly by the storm.

As for Georgia, since we took such a severe whipping, I won't say the final outcome would have been different, but had UCLA or Tx. lost earlier in the day or the previous week, LSU would have had a shot at the Rose Bowl going into the SEC championship game. But since both of those teams won, I think LSU's motivation level was down, essentially they were playing for a Sugar Bowl birth and the SEC championship. Tho not a small deal by any means, I think since the prize was materially smaller, their effort suffered.

Glad to hear we're on the verge of a top ten recruiting (or better) class.
B.S. LSU, class of '73.
Almost :( MBA, UT, '82
Go Horns AND Tigers!

Duds
01-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Hey Swish, just saw your post as I was out for a few days attending my Grandmother's funeral.

I totally agree, the refs need to make the calls, and make the right ones. It seems that they slack off now that instant replay is used. In all fairness to them though, some plays happen so fast sometimes that it is almost impossible to see it correctly without instant replay. I havent totally decided if I like instant replay or not. It slows the game down too much in my opinion.

Holy crap! We got screwed 3 seasons in a row against you guys. How do you think Joe Paterno was able to get the Big 10 to agree to have instant replay reviews on disputed calls? Mich. was the main reason, although I think we got screwed in at least 4 games three years ago. I still bristle at the thought of it. It was obvious they lost because of poor calls...well, let's just say there probably would have been a different outcome IF THEY GOT THE CALLS RIGHT. Then again, how the f<a>uck your coach was able to get 2 seconds added to the clock this year is beyond me. I was ready to jump thru the tv and choke that mother.

Look, I'm all about fairness and I don't even want to see PSU benefit from a bad call against an opponent. Refs should NOT determine the outcome of the game.Get the call right, that's the bottom line. Now if only we can get a real playoff so we have a true champion instead of this mythical s<a>hit.

Swish, Still Bitter After All These Years

bobsticks
06-15-2010, 04:31 PM
that he didnt have a great game, he obviously did. But to call him the greatest college QB ever? I'm predicting he'll end up like Michael Vick in the NFL....over-rated. go ahead, hammer me for saying that, just my opinion though :).

How prophetic was this post?

MasterCylinder
06-16-2010, 04:09 AM
WOW -- no shyte..................lol !

Looks like Texas beats USC at the all-important money game as well.

The NCAA is allowing a raid on the USC juniors and seniors, in addition to severe penalties for paying players (that, like Sgt. Schultz, Pete Carroll knows nothing about).
It will be interesting to see the other PAC 10 teams take advantage of this situation and try to move up.

While all this is going on, Texas flirts with the PAC 10 and then builds their own treasure chest by staying home, appearing indifferent to Colorado & Nebraska............ouch.

3LB
06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
I wonder if Colorado and Nebraska bolts if Texas didn't pretend to look elsewhere...Its harder for western teams to do the super conference thing because of travel. Colorado fans are gonna grow to hate this.

and, eh-hem...I called the VY thing too, eh-hem...

MasterCylinder
06-16-2010, 08:39 AM
I wonder if Colorado and Nebraska bolts if Texas didn't pretend to look elsewhere.

I wonder................Tom Osborne says he can't stay in the Big 12............but he didn't know Texas was dealing straight with ESPN...........WOW.

dean_martin
06-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Is it open season on bumping old threads? (If so, I think I remember one that deserves a bump.)

3LB
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Is it open season on bumping old threads? (If so, I think I remember one that deserves a bump.)
ain't nuthin but G thang

Swish
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
...violations perpetrated by the recently departed Pete Carrol? I never liked him and I'm sure a lot of USC fans, who loved him when he was winning, don't like him much now. Instead of getting a pro coaching stint, he should have been barred from the game and sent home with his tail between his legs. And that championship? It should have been stripped?

I was doing cartwheels when this story broke, and it's getting juicier by the day.