dvd recorder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dvd recorder

atomic222
01-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Here our some dvd recorders that I am interested in buying. I found them either new or refurb at or below $200. I am willing to spend about $225 for a recordable one. I would like to know if the ones below are worth getting or should I wait until the spring 06 or smmer 06 to see what new models are coming out? I kinda of willing to wait if people think some of the more expensive models now might come down in price so that the newer models can be sold. One think I am looking for is to hook up my digital camera to a dvd recorder so that I can put my pictures on it. I did see one which had a sd card burner on it, is this really worth getting, if you laptop has a cd burner on it, could I not just burn them to a cd? Is there a real advantage to have a sd card burner on a dvd player?

Here are some I am interested in?
Pioneer Dv 588AS
Pioneer Dvr 220
Panasonic es 10 or es 20. I probably at present time just want to record tv shows or my old vhs tapes. If there is another model that would be good too.
thanks

dean_martin
01-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I bought the Panasonic es20 for my wife for Christmas. I was able to catch one of those Circuit City 5-hours only online sales and got it for $167 including tax and free shipping. I don't have much experience with it yet, but I picked it because it was the only one that I would consider in the $200 or less category that had a DV input (or firewire) for her digital camcorder.

N. Abstentia
01-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I have a Samsung R120 which is around $160. Great recorder, even has Firewire.

dean_martin
01-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I have a Samsung R120 which is around $160. Great recorder, even has Firewire.

Hey, N. I must have missed the Samsung. But that's what happens when you wait til the last minute to do your Christmas shopping.

Anyhow, I have a question about hookup. Do you run your satellite or cable feed through your dvd recorder and if so does it degrade the signal any? (I'm assuming you would have to to record a tv program; however, would you recommend another configuration if you were only recording vhs tapes and digital camcorder videos to dvd?) Any insight you can offer will be appreciated.