Satellite Radio: Assistance and Opinion? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio: Assistance and Opinion?

PDK
01-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I've been a big user of internet radio but now can't access it at work (cursed bandwidth restrictions!!). Accordingly, I believe that satellite radio may be appropriate for me. I would like to purchase a portable unit that I could use at my desk and in the car. I believe that once I get accustomed to it I will also want to buy a component unit for home (I know Onkyo and others make some XM-ready recievers but I have a Denon 1905 that I'm not ready to replace...). Oh, and I also want to be somewhat restrained on my spending for the first unit because I don't know if I will keep it.
My questions:

1. What do you like better or offers better service- XM or Sirius? I know that I will definitely be living in the USA for the next couple of years. I retain very strong ties to the UK (Kensington [London]- thank goodness for Vonage!) and my musical taste is very heavily Brit-pop influenced. The BBC is NOT a priority (BBC World [dis]Service is a blight- but I'd occassionally listen to Radio 4). I'm a Rush 24/7 subscriber so that is taken care of.

2. Is there a good portable player that would work at my desk and in the car without a lot of bother?

3. Are there any dual players- XM and Sirius?

4. Your experience with satellite?

Any input is appreciated! Thank you for your consideration.

ericl
01-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I haven't used Sirius, but I reviewed a Yamaha receiver with XM and did a separate review of the XM service. I liked it. I want to try Sirius, i need to get a unit from them.

http://www.audioreview.com/XMREVIEWcrx.aspx

It looks like its a matter of preference in terms of content try and preview the stations if possible.

Duds
01-04-2006, 12:05 PM
you sit near windows at work, or you wont get reception. Thats my problem. I would have Sirius right now for Howard Stern listening, but since it doesnt come in at my workplace, i cant see getting it. Granted, I could spend $250 and get the S50 to record every show, but I dont think i would listen to it when i got home from work.

I've been a big user of internet radio but now can't access it at work (cursed bandwidth restrictions!!). Accordingly, I believe that satellite radio may be appropriate for me. I would like to purchase a portable unit that I could use at my desk and in the car. I believe that once I get accustomed to it I will also want to buy a component unit for home (I know Onkyo and others make some XM-ready recievers but I have a Denon 1905 that I'm not ready to replace...). Oh, and I also want to be somewhat restrained on my spending for the first unit because I don't know if I will keep it.
My questions:

1. What do you like better or offers better service- XM or Sirius? I know that I will definitely be living in the USA for the next couple of years. I retain very strong ties to the UK (Kensington [London]- thank goodness for Vonage!) and my musical taste is very heavily Brit-pop influenced. The BBC is NOT a priority (BBC World [dis]Service is a blight- but I'd occassionally listen to Radio 4). I'm a Rush 24/7 subscriber so that is taken care of.

2. Is there a good portable player that would work at my desk and in the car without a lot of bother?

3. Are there any dual players- XM and Sirius?

4. Your experience with satellite?

Any input is appreciated! Thank you for your consideration.