Spock's Beard:Octane // a review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spock's Beard:Octane // a review

3-LockBox
01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Where to begin...I'm amazed that anyone who claimed to dislike Feel Euphoria but liked Octane, when the two are so similar. Save for a few clunkers, FE is a good album, IMO. This new album, Octane, fixes one major problem that FE had; the 'epic'. The first seven tracks comprise a suite called 'A Flash Before My Eyes'_- It's a very good epic from start to finish; its better structured, much more cohesive story-wise and not contrived like 'A Guy Named Sid' from FE. Hell, 'Flash' may even be considered brilliant, in its own, Dream Theater-ish sort of way.

But the regular songs here pale in comparison to songs like 'East Of Eden', 'Shining Star', or 'Ghosts Of Autumn'. I'd even say 'The Bottom Line' is a better extended song than anything I hear on Octane. Yes, FE had its share of contrived, rushed, and very boring songs, but nothing as embarissing as 'As Long As We Ride'; a very generic rocker you might hear on the latter-day versions of Journey or Doobie Bros. I hope they stay away from any more attempts at AOR like that.

All in all, it might still be worth the price of admission for the 'Flash' suite, a couple of the instrumental tunes and the *mostly acoustic 'There Was A Time'. I didn't get the bonus disc edition, so I can't comment on these.

But it looks like Spock's Beard will find their way without Neal. I hope it works out for them, they deserve it. I'll continue to support them, too, as long as they ride :rolleyes: (yeesh!)

*edit-(I actually had this song confused with another, but its still a good song)

N. Abstentia
01-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Personally I think Octane picks up after the 'epic' is over. Actually I think it starts getting good with 'Climing Up That Hill' and gets better from there. 'Planets Hum' is simply one of the best songs ever recorded by man, and 'As Long As We Ride' while not standard issue prog, is a perfect closer. There's nothing wrong with being a little different!

Dave_G
01-04-2006, 08:08 AM
I'd like to see this band live, maybe they will make it to the East coast someday.

I think Troy has seen 'em several times.

Dave

Troy
01-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I'd like to see this band live, maybe they will make it to the East coast someday.

I think Troy has seen 'em several times.

Dave

Yeah, I have, but that was when Morse was in the band. I doubt I'd go to see them again.

kexodusc
01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Strong album from start to finish, not sure I have a favorite track. Truth be told this is my 2nd favorite SB album period. Feel Euphoria wasn't terrible, just so-so. But I didn't think SB was ever anything special even with Morse, so a so-so album from a a so-so band just doesn't cut it here.

I think they'll be just fine going forward - they'll just keep making music and playing live to make a living. If anything, I think Morse was given far too much credit in their earlier works.

Dusty Chalk
01-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I've seen 'em on the East Coast once, but that was several years ago.

3-LockBox
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
I think they'll be just fine going forward - they'll just keep making music and playing live to make a living. If anything, I think Morse was given far too much credit in their earlier works.

Unfortunately (and quite unfairly I might add), this band will always be judged by the very thing that the old SB was hailed for, and that was the quality of their epic length songs. Thing is, many bands in the neo-prog genre attempt epics, but few are as consistant as Neal Morse is. Its a talent in and of itself. The regular to medium length tunes are at least on a par with Morse's when he was with the band, IMO.

Certainly, SB will continue to try their hand at writing these epic suites, probably with the same hit or miss quality that other bands have achieved. It is what's expected of them. Hopefully, they'll be able to maintain their fanbase, keep making albums, be able to grow on their own merits, and not just become a footnote to Neal Morse's career.