Help with home audio system! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with home audio system!

wolfeinstein
01-03-2006, 11:15 PM
My girlfriend wants a new stereo system she has tile in her living room so she'd like something compact not a million speakers and wires maybe a reciver,subwoofer,2 speakers and maybe a middle chanel. Can anyone recomend something around 500-600$
or recomend a reciver and sub,speakers separate?
Thxx

EdwardGein
01-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Boombox Play that Jay Z, funky Wolfman!

L.J.
01-04-2006, 09:42 PM
My girlfriend wants a new stereo system she has tile in her living room so she'd like something compact not a million speakers and wires maybe a reciver,subwoofer,2 speakers and maybe a middle chanel. Can anyone recomend something around 500-600$
Thxx

Recv = $200-$300 Yamaha, Onkyo, pioneer, HK, Marantz.......
Bookshelves = $300 Go and listen to alot of bookshelves in this price range.

Worry about a sub later, when you get some more money saved.

Why do you need a center channel, do you plan on watching movies or just using this system for music? You said stereo system

L.J.
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Boombox Play that Jay Z, funky Wolfman!

:confused: huh?

zepman1
01-05-2006, 07:45 AM
$500-600 is probably pushing the limits as far as being able to geta anything decent. You can probably pick up a good receiver for a little over $200. Yamaha is a good value in that price range. There is also a new Pioneer out there for around $300 I think, that has been getting very good reviews lately, but I am not sure of the model.

As far as speakers, you are left with $200-400 depending how much you spent on the receiver. Bookshelfs are probably your best bet. Athena speakers are a good value for the money (carried at Worst Buy). I don't have any of them, but have listened to some and liked them, especially in that price range. Save up for a good sub later on (Velodyne, SVS, Athena).

If you plan to add on for a home theather later on with surround speakers and a center channel, make sure it is possible to match them to whatever bookshelfs you end up buying or you will have a major headache later. It is very important that the center channel be timbre matched to the other front speakers. It is not as critical with the surrounds, although it is still the ideal situation.

Hope this helps

prash
01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Thxx

http://www.niro1.com/us/

-ps